Saflager S-23 Yeast For E.s.b. Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I just got the ESB 3kg pak of Czech PILSENER and the guy at the shop took out the 34/70 yeast and replaced it with the S-23. He said because i can't ferment in a fridge or chiller that this yeast will be better for slightly warmer temps. How does this sound to u guys? Is this yeast going to be ok for my first Pilsener? And he said not to add extra Saaz this time as the kit has heaps in it.
So if i want to cc it for a couple of weeks at 1 deg can i do this after 100% fermentation or should i rack at 3/4 ferm. then cc?
p.s. he also gave me a el cheapo yeast to whack in with the bulk prime solution as he said cc'ing would kill or cause the yeast to drop out.
How does all this sound guy's?

I don't think that ccing at 1c would kill the yeast, I do this with all my ales and lagers after full fermentation. They come out very clear and there is always viable yeast left in suspension for bottle conditioning. Adding more yeast when you prime would defeat the purpose of cold conditioning and give you very cloudy beer with yeasty flavours.

Chucking a whole packet of yeast in at bulk priming !
Sounds a little dangerous as well , bottle bombs?
And I thought S-23 was a cold fermenting yeast as well

SJW

Rack after 14 days - taste it - then dry hop if you want to.
I have dry hopped this before with 35gms of saaz.
Left for 2-6 weeks cc in the fridge.

SJW,

Have made this kit myself as I said in a previous post, and definitely WOULD dry hop into secondary with Saaz.
I'm pretty sure I know where you're buying this from (Mayfield?) 'cause the bloke there convinced me to try the s23 first with the same advice. 18 months and a lot of lager brewing later I disagree and would suggest either the 34/70 or the Czech Bjudevice liquid yeast. Don't sweat it though, the s-23 is a decent yeast, just not AS good in my humble opinion.
The extra yeast into cc sounds very sus.
Try at all costs to brew true lagers below 15 degrees MAX. Californian Steam beer etc apparently like warmer lager ferments, but having started out 18 months or so ago trying to brew lagers at 18 degrees, in my opinion it doesn't work. Your beer will be drinkable, but won't have true Euro Pilsner characteristics. If you can keep your ferment at 11-12 degrees all the better.

Having said all that, don't let me put you off. Have a go. You may disagree :D Just giving my 2 cents... The best way to learn is to try yourself. Oh, and Mark at Mayfield is a good bloke and I've learnt heaps from him, but he can be a bit 'domineering' at times and like any of us isn't always right. Doesn't sometimes stop him from thinking he is though... Love ya work Mark if you're reading :lol: :lol: :chug:

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back