Saflager S-23 questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries, thought I'd just ask as I was curious

Will it not shock it when I the pour the warmer hydrated yeast into 12 degree wort?

you're allowed 10 degrees difference.

Your 23 degree yeast will be cooled to 22 I'm sure, sitting for 15 mins.

I'm current;y using S-23 to make a dark lager (like Montieths Black) and have had the fermenter set to 12C for 2 weeks, it's at SG 1029.
Should I go warmer? I've just done a D-test and it smells a little buttery.
Any tips?

I've pitched this yeast into my lager wort today and have it sitting in the shed - currently 9 degrees and dropping to 7 overnight. Should I use my heat belt to try to keep the temp up around 12-14 or just let it do it's thing in the shed for three weeks? The ambient temp is unlikely to rise above 14. Appreciate any thoughts.

The temp in the centre of your fermenter will probably sit around 2C higher than ambient, plus the yeast generates heat while fermenting. This should bring it into the low end of the recommended temp range. If you can provide a bit of insulation to stabilise the temperature fluctuations, it would do a bit better for the yeast health (thus flavour). I start the temp at the low range and begin to let it rise naturally to 18c towards the end of ferment and get great results.

The temp in the centre of your fermenter will probably sit around 2C higher than ambient, plus the yeast generates heat while fermenting. This should bring it into the low end of the recommended temp range. If you can provide a bit of insulation to stabilise the temperature fluctuations, it would do a bit better for the yeast health (thus flavour). I start the temp at the low range and begin to let it rise naturally to 18c towards the end of ferment and get great results.
Cheers. I've got a heat belt around the fermenter and it's currently sitting at 10-12c in the shed (Melbourne). Not much airlock activity, only seems to happen when I move the heat belt around then stops after a few mins. Should I be worried about no airlock activity or just trust the yeast is doing its thing?

Update - lots of airlock activity over days 2-4 at a steady 12 degree temp in shed. Occasionally turning heat belt on in the afternoon to prepare for the overnight drop but otherwise using ambient temps. Quietly confident with this brew.

Latest posts

Back