Safe But Devestated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
My old man lives down south in Tassie, a beutiful little hamlet called Connelly's Marsh.

I got a call last night to say that the home my grandfather built when he got back from the war has been lost, im still not sure if he was able to save things like photos etc.

Devestating, it's been a cruel couple of months and doesnt seem to be letting up.

Hope everyone's family's are safe down that way.

Yob

Sorry to hear that Jesse.

We had friends at Forcett that had to evacuate last night and we had ash floating around our place for sometime even though we are miles away.

Dunalley is virtually gone now due to the fire and so far 1 life and 65 places lost there and 15 lost at Boomer Bay. The Tasman Peninsular was closed and there are fears now with an expected change today that the flank of the fire may become the fire front.

I have news that it started at Richmond where someone got a tyre blowout and a spark of his rim ignited a fire which soon got out of control. Then it just escalated from there via live embers and wind/weather.

There is another out of control fire at Lake Repulse that was started by an abandoned camp fire.... this sort of irresponsibility really shits me.

Anyhow, the fire fighters really deserve a medal for all their efforts in terrible conditions they had to work in yesterday and today.

Even though possessions may have been lost Jesse, it is good to hear your family is safe.

Indeed guys, thankful that he was able to get out in time. I know the Dunalley community pretty well and is sad to say the least, but they are a hardy lot and will rebuild quickly.

I got a smile when I watched the news this morning and a fella said.

"Na mate, the firey's told us to go on up to the pub so we waited it out there" Dunalley Resident

Typical ;)

1.JPG

2.JPG

Ed to add photo's, fire came at him from alll directions and the locals had to be removed by boat, the second photo is taken only 5 minutes from the first one, note the end of the jetty bursting into flames above the water in the fist photo..

Photo's and Pops war medals saved, house was insured..

Scary stuff indeed.

thank good he is safe and got the good stuff out

Sorry to hear about the house Yob... I woke up at 3am this morning with the temp still pushing the high 20's just to check everything was ok in our area and i couldnt see for the smoke! I jumped on the TFS website but the smoke thats hanging around atm is just being carried down from the Peninsula apparently. Northerly winds with 40 degree temps and a previous 5-6 good growing seasons is a recipe for disaster down here unfortunately. Hope it all works out mate.

Mate, that's bloody awful. Sympathies on behalf of your neighbours across the ditch.

Glad to hear the old man's ok though.

The old man is safe and thats the most important thing,

truly devastated to think that the place that my grandfather built has gone and will never be the same again, even if the old man rebuilds,

its not just that even, there is the boat the old man was restoring up the block, the neighbours houses, the whole area is gone and I feel for them all.

it's times like these when you really feel the distance between family and where I live, its the knowing there is sweet f all you can do about it anyway.

A couple of months ago I was down there with the old lady in hospital, now this... got me chin poked out for the third one.

all in all a pretty shit start to 2013.. Optimism is the state of play though and it wont get me down, I'll just fight harder.

Cheers all.

Jesse

I know it's a cliche, but family is number one. House, boat, although it's important and obviously part of your family history, at the end of the day it's just stuff.

I've never lost any important "stuff", but nearly lost my mum a while back, and that really made it hit home just how important family is.

Optimism, well at least it can only really go up from here.

that really sucks mate, I am sorry to hear. Thankfully he is safe.

Thoughts go out to you Yob, your family and any other family suffering through what will be tough times.

Have lost it all in floods years back and I know how hard it can be, main thing is bodies are safe.

Hold your heads up.

Thats the really sad bit Yum, we all remember vividly so many times in recent years that familys have lost the lot and indeed been lost.

Fires, Floods etc, it's truly tough times for many..

when I was down there in Early December, I had mentioned to him how much bracken and dry material was about, you just never think that it's coming though eh?

when he rebuilds, I might suggest and help put in a line from the dam to cover the property with a generator and pump.. that aside, the shear ferocity of these things is stunning and there is little to do except get the hell out of the way.

The old boy is still waiting to be let back in to have a look, but we arent expecting there to be much there. :(

At least he still has his (slightly cooked) skin and am thankful for those blessings.

Cheers

Thats the really sad bit Yum, we all remember vividly so many times in recent years that familys have lost the lot and indeed been lost.

Fires, Floods etc, it's truly tough times for many..

when I was down there in Early December, I had mentioned to him how much bracken and dry material was about, you just never think that it's coming though eh?

when he rebuilds, I might suggest and help put in a line from the dam to cover the property with a generator and pump.. that aside, the shear ferocity of these things is stunning and there is little to do except get the hell out of the way.

The old boy is still waiting to be let back in to have a look, but we arent expecting there to be much there. :(

At least he still has his (slightly cooked) skin and am thankful for those blessings.

Cheers

Tough times ahead Jesse.
Great news though that he's ok & best wishes to your family & everyone else down that way.

Jesse.just watch the news and had a live cross...they where lucky.."marysville" wheren't

Glad he's OK mate, even though most of the material possessions are probably gone.
Thank f##k that place is so close to the water or I fear many lives may have been lost.

Jesse.just watch the news and had a live cross...they where lucky.."marysville" wheren't

It saddens me when people start to compare tragedys. Who really gives a shit about comparison of who is/was worse off? In my opinion, one is just as bad as the other. There are no lucky people in either situation for Christ sakes!!!....

Latest posts

Back