Safale Us-56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Why is this yeast not on there website yet?
It's been around a while now.

And what do you guys who have used it think of it?

Batz

Hi Batz,

I used it in a few brews when it first came out and was pretty happy with it for a dried yeast. Similar kind of profile to the liquid variety, slightly longer lag time without the starter, similar attenuation in my experience. Cleared pretty well. A pretty solid back up yeast in case something goes wrong with a liquid variety at the last minute but wouldn't buy it by the tonne ;)

Shawn.

Cheers Gough ,
Thinking of a few dried yeasts at present as a move soon means I have to scale down my liquid yeasts.

Thanks Batz

Hey Batz,
I bought a 500gm brick of it a few months back. I used in a couple of APA's and a Barley wine. The yeast threw ALOT of diacetyl in all of the beers. The attenuation was very good up around the 80-85%. Although it was quick and easy I definately prefer the good ol' 1056 liquid yeast. The dry US-56 left that same "SAF" flavour in the beer.
Worth a try and as Gough said good for a back-up. They were supposed to release 11g sachets last year. Not sure why they haven't come out yet.
cheers
Darren

I did 2 APAs and a Porter and didn't have too many diacetyl probs, but definitely agree that the liquid version is better. Like you said, a decent back up yeast...

Shawn

I second that result. Good dry yeast, and similar to the 1056 liquid. Definitely needs to ferment at 20 or below.
Haven't seen it in shops since.
My 2cents
Seth

Thanks guys , would be surprized if it had diacetyl problems , but then I haven't used it as yet so I don't know :blink:

Batz

Batz,

I did a side by side comparison with S-56 and Wyeast 1056. 22L in each fermenter, same brew, temperatures etc.
I can definetely say the liquid yeast brew was much cleaner (nicer) tasting. The dried yeast seem to lack flavour when compared to the liquid version.

Pitching rates may have varied between liquid and dried, the dried yeast took longer to take off than the liquid.

I would use S-56 if there was no way you could get liquid yeast cultured up for an 'emergency brew'....

Cheers.

I have used it twice. First time it was great, second time I had to overpitch with Safale. I put this down to the second batch coming from a brick that had been open for a month - I reckon 1 week is about the limit.

I have an email from Bintani and they say that they are rebranding the packs and running out the DCL packaging before introducing it in the 10.5g packs. That news is a few months old though.

I agree with Darren on this yeast. I used it ONCE and got major and I mean major diacetyl with the beer. I loath diacetyl to the point I allowed it to rest for three weeks with little improvement so I dumped it.

My opinion: there are many better dry yeast and they start with N.

A sample of one isn't representative Batz so YMMV ...... An all grain beer takes too long to craft to waste it on a crap yeast.

Steve

Back