Safale S-33 - Too High Fg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolto

Reaction score
Hi All,

The FG of the following simple K+K brew with S-33 just doesn't want to shift below1016:

1.7 kg Coopers Pale Ale
1 L Brewiser liquid brewing sugar
400 gr LDME
12 gr Cascade (steeped)
12 gr Amarillo (steeped)
2 x S-33 sachets (6 gr each)
23 L
Yeast dry pitched at 22.5 deg on 27/07/08
OG 1042

Fermentation started well for the first few days. Temps dropped to 6s and 7s overnight in Brissie (fermenter was wrapped in a blanket) but at the end of the first 7 days but SG was 1020 so progress had been made. By day 10 SG had not budged from 1020 so fermenter was carefully swirled and brew belt brought out to heat things up a little to 22 deg. At the end of 14 days it had dropped to 1016 . 2 days ago it was still 1016 so I even resorted to stirring the wort with a sterilised spoon against my better judgement. As of today I still get 1016.

Now I know S-33 has a high FG but this does not sound right given the amount of fermentables in this. A couple of calculators say I should expect 1006 for this one.

Is this all I am going to get? Should I risk it and bottle or pitch another yeast (the original kit yeast) to try and finish off even though I am well into the 3rd week of primary? Beer still tasting OK from today's sample.

Any guidence would be much appreciated.

Fermentation started well for the first few days. Temps dropped to 6s and 7s overnight in Brissie (fermenter was wrapped in a blanket) but at the end of the first 7 days but SG was 1020 so progress had been made. By day 10 SG had not budged from 1020 so fermenter was carefully swirled and brew belt brought out to heat things up a little to 22 deg. At the end of 14 days it had dropped to 1016 . 2 days ago it was still 1016 so I even resorted to stirring the wort with a sterilised spoon against my better judgement. As of today I still get 1016.

Now I know S-33 has a high FG but this does not sound right given the amount of fermentables in this. A couple of calculators say I should expect 1006 for this one.

Sounds like 1016 is far to high.

1. Have you calibrated your hydrometer with pure water making sure you get 1.00? It might be a problem with your hydrometer.

2. if you are going to use the packet yeast (or a better ale yeast), make sure you do a starter up first, so you get lots of yeast going and pitch it at the same temp as the fermenter is at (do not give the yeast a temp shock).

Barry

Given the fact that extract is low in fermentables and that 33 is a low attenuator I'd say it was finished. Not quite sure what the composition is of the liquid brewing sugar so don't know what it would contribute to attenuation. Down from 1.042 to 1.016 is an AA of 62% a little low for S-33, lets hope it's bitter to balance the low AA%, still with 1L of some sort of sucrose adjunct the sweetness shouldn't be that obvious.

Many thanks for the comments. In answer to the questions:

1.Hydrometer has been checked and re-checked and is reading true;
2. The liquid brewing sugar is made from maize starch if I am not mistaken. Again I was expecting FG to be a little higher with this sugar type;
3. As to taste - could be described as "balanced" with just a slight hint of sweetnes (to my palate anyway). Thinking of slipping a pellet or two of Amarillo into the bottles (bugger the final clarity).

Cheers

Bolto

I brewed a 'summer ale' with S33 a while back. It stalled at around 1.016. Fortunately a WLP005 yeast cake came to the rescue, and brought it down to 1.008. It was a bloody nice beer in the end.

I have a recalcitrant Dortmunder that is stuck at the same gravity, so next primary yeast cake that comes up it's on there!

Thinking of slipping a pellet or two of Amarillo into the bottles (bugger the final clarity).

Eeeeuuu, I wouldn't . Once the beer is carbonated it will taste a little less sweet, the carbonic acid takes the sweet edge off a little.

Screwy

Dry hopping a sweet-ish beer with a fruity hop like amarillo could end a little cloying...
It will add no bitterness anyway.

M.

Good point re the Amarillo - still finding my way in all things home brewing. I'll bottle it this weekend and put it aside for drinking when the weather warms up again (still cool enough to vaguely resemble a winter here in Brisbane!)

Cheers.

Good point re the Amarillo - still finding my way in all things home brewing. I'll bottle it this weekend and put it aside for drinking when the weather warms up again (still cool enough to vaguely resemble a winter here in Brisbane!)

Cheers.

Be careful with bottling and leaving it until summer with a high FG. As the temp goes up, it might start to ferment again, and you will have bombs on your hands. Even if the do not blow up on you, you could be lucky to get any left to pour into a glass after it fizzes everywhere out of the bottle.

If you can keg it, at least the pressure safety valve will let out the excess CO2 if it does start fermenting again.

Maybe try another yeast as suggested.

Barry

Latest posts

Back