Safale K-97 Failure....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandreas

Reaction score
I need help with Safale K-97 yeast!

I am new to home brewing, having just started by 3rd brew today, But have already experienced 2 failures with K-97!

The first failure occurred on my second brew in which I attempted to make a 'Leffe' style beer using a BrewCraft recipe. I pitched my K-97 directly into my fermenter at 24 degrees. It failed to fire after 30 hours, so I panicked and quickly pitched yeast that came with the Muntons malt extract kit.

The Muntons yeast fired within 4 hours and produced what I hope will be a pretty good brew. Unfortunately, this yeast wasn't able to ferment the 2kg of maltose as completely as I would have liked and have therefore ended up with a higher FG than I would have hoped for.

The next time K-97 failed was last night when I tried to make another BrewCraft kit recipe called "Hoegarrden". I went to great lengths preparing the wort as directed and THIS time I decided to rehydrate and proof the K-97.

I rehydrated the 11.5g sachet of yeast in tepid water for 20 minutes. I then added about 1 tsp of sugar dissolved in cooled boiled water to the yeast for proofing. It didn't bubble or churn AT ALL after another 30 minutes. I had the Kit yeast rehydrated and proofed within 20 minutes. This yeast was churning away and frothing completely. I decided I may have been impatient with the K-97 so pitched it into the wort anyway.

The next morning (surprise surprise) no fermentation had taken place with the dead K-97 I pitched. Went to the home brew shop and was given another sachet of K-97 and a couple of packets of Muntons Premium Gold Yeast. Went home, rehydrated and attempted to proof the K-97.....it didn't fire. The Muntons Premium Gold was rehydrated and proofed within 20 minutes. I pitched this into the wort.

Is this just a bad batch of K-97 or am I doing something wrong with it?? Has anyone else had problems with K-97?

Also, Does anyone have an opinion as to what will happen with my "Hoegaarden" style wheat beer now that I've used this Munton's yeast????

Help with this would be Greatly appreciated!

K-97 is notoriously slow to fire off and krausen.

Pandreas,
A week or two ago I had the same problem with this yeast.
See Here

Took a while to fire, but all was good in the end.

Ive given up using it because it didnt start....do a search on K97 for more reading.
Cheers
Steve

Just read about your experience Punter..... Glad it all worked out in the end for you.

Well done for being so patient! I guess I should have waited longer with the K-97, but I stressed too much about possible infections and just wanted to get the fermentation started.

Now that I've pitched the Muntons Premium Gold, I reckon it will finish fermenting the wort before the K-97 wakes up!

The next time K-97 failed was last night when I tried to make another BrewCraft kit recipe called "Hoegarrden". I went to great lengths preparing the wort as directed and THIS time I decided to rehydrate and proof the K-97.

Hi Pandreas,
What is your Hoegarrden recepie?

Cheers,

Maxy

Also have a look at where your HBS stores/shelves the K97..might be in direct sunlight most of the day. Are you fridging the K97 when you get it home? If so, do you let it come up to room temp before proofing/pitching it?

The K-97 at the HBS is stored in the fridge, and the second time I tried to use it I brought it to room temperature first. The first time I tried this yeast I pitched it straight from the fridge.... live & learn!

My "Hoegaarden" recipe I started with is as follows:

1 can of BlackRock Whispering Wheat
1kg Wheat Malt Extract
15g Crushed Coriander seeds
Zest of 3 Oranges (approx 3 tbsp)
11.5g Safale K-97 yeast

(Because the K-97 didn't fire straight away, I pitched in 12g of Muntons Premium Gold, rehydrated and proofed)

Of course because I used a Munton's yeast I don't expect a beer similar to Hoegarrden anymore.

Today is the third day of fermentation. Airlock is slowed down alot now ticking over about once a minute. The airlock gas released smells fantastic, I'm really looking forward to this brew. Just worried about the FG, My last 2 attempts have had a high FG (1.020 & 1.018), since I used a better quality yeast this time I'd REALLY like to get down to 1.010 or thereabouts. I don't much like sweet beer!

Wouldn't expect too much diff in the flavour, between those yeasts.

The Munton's Gold is a fairly clean ale yeast (IIRC) and so is the K97 (when it works).

The K97 may have added some (little) banana, but not phenolics to the beer.

Both will make a tasty spiced ale, but unfortunately not a Witbier. Maybe S33 would have provided the right Belgian flavours. Regardless, if your process is clean, you'll have a very drinkable beer.

Maybe you can investigate the S33 at the Fermentis website, for possible use in the next Wit?

Seth :p

Maybe you can investigate the S33 at the Fermentis website, for possible use in the next Wit?

Appreciate your knowledge regarding yeast characteristics. I must say that I'm pretty happy at this stage with the aroma I am getting out of the fermenter.

Maybe a silly question, but what are phenolics? Is this the chemical which gives off the clove charcteristic??

Checked out the Fermentis website, thanks for putting me onto the S33!

I will definately be giving S33 a go with my next brew as I have wanted to make a weissbeer, and I need to use a yeast that will be happy at higher temperatures.(like S33). My fermenter is a stable 20 degrees at the moment. (Looking forward to winter when I can try some lager yeasts!)

Can you suggest to me a REAL wheat beer recipe? I'd appreciate your advice. I am happy to get a little more complex with my brewing, and would like to try steeping grains next brew.

Latest posts

Back