Safale 56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceL

Reaction score
I usually use Safale 56 for my ales, but I've never used it below 19C. Temps can now get as low as 16C in my house at night. The information provided with Safale 56 suggests it will ferment in temperatures as low as 15C.

Ive heard this yeast is similar to Wyeast 1056 which according to Wyeast produces "slightly citrus like with cool 60-66 F, (15-19 C) fermentation temperatures".

Ive also heard that it is similar to Nottingham. Information about this yeast suggests it has "good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14C (57F)"

Has anyone used Safale 56 at low temperatures? How did it perform, were there any problems (stuck fermentations, high FG etc)?

Is this the best dry ale yeast to use below 20C? Should I pitch at higher temps (e.g. 22c)? Would it be best to pitch more yeast than normal?

Bruce

11.5 gms in 20 litres with good aeration works fine.
I always endeavour to keep this strain @ 15/18 c.Clean crisp ,no stuck ferments ,just takes a little longer(10 days max).I've got a pale thats been sitting on 16/17 for 6 days and doing fine.i'm warming it up to 18/20 for another 2 days b4 racking.All ale strains have worked well down to 15/16 for me. I only ferment @ 20c for wheats, and will with the planned t58 golden ale.

Bruce

I have just racked a brew into secondary that used US-56 yeast after having it in primary for six days. I had the fermenter in my shed the whole of the primary without any heating: Days here only getting to 17 max and down into single figures over night. The brew didn't drop below 16 deg and never went above 18 for the week it was in primary. From the small sample tried (from the hydrometer jar) the brew was excellent. The airlock bubbled quite happily during the first part of fermentation and from the SG readings, the yeast performed very well: Down from 1.050 to 1.010 in six days. I was more than happy with the results.

As for the final outcome I guess I'll have to wait until the brew is ready to drink.

Cheers

Steve

nicely timed topic Bruce,

i've just got my first 56 yeasts yesterday and was wondering about the temps etc.

i have a 250lt chest frzr with an adlo therm control so i'm going to try it at 14*C

cheers

yard

I used US-56 on an ale recently, 18-20 degrees not a problem. Eceptionally clear brew with a really tightly compacted trub sitting at the bottom, beautiful tasting beer straight out of the fermentor. Now I've just got to wait for it to mature in the bottles :(

BruceL,

I have a similar experience to Stephen (being in the same suburb, I'm not 2 surprised).

My Arrogant B@stard clone (AB mkII) went from 1.080 down to about 1.020 in about a week with the stick-on thermo-utensil indicating about 16-18 in my kitchen (actual brew temp prob about 1-2 degrees higher).
Thus demonstrating that the yeast is still hungry when it ferments cooler.
Only one sachet was used for the previous brew (AB mk I) and this one went onto the yeast cake. The start was quite rapid and it threw about 10 litres of krausen, clearing all the scum from the head onto the insides of my fermentor (taking it out of the beer for a clean result).

Seth :p

Thanks for all the advice?

I was a bit concerned as the bloke at the HMS told me the yeast would not ferment properly below 20C. But it sounds like I shouldnt have any problems.

Has anyone found that a fast fermetation at a yeasts upper temp range produces a beer of lower FG, than a slower fermentation at the yeasts lower temp range?

Bruce

Haven't had it happen yet, just tastes different. Numbers on the Hydrometer are more or less the same.

Gday Bruce
I use safale us 56 yeast on a regular basis , and find it brews down to 16 degrees with no problems.
I brew in a fridge using a temp controller bought from Jaycar electronics (Tempmaster)and I can
maintain this temperature quite accurately.
Using this yeast at this temp gives my beer a bit of a fruity type flavor, and it really clears up after cold
conditioning.
I have found if I brew at higher temperatures, or even if the temp range varies a bit during fermentation,It can really change the final taste of the beer.

Cheers, Peter.

Hey Bruce,

As the others have reported, temps below 20 deg is still good for this yeast.
I have a big American Pale Ale fermenting right now at 18degC with two sachets of US-56 (28litres with an OG 1.078) and it is going strong.

Doc

Dumped my freshly ag'd APA wort into the fermentor this morning. Rehydrated the yeast into about 200-250ml of the wort in a erlenmeyer flask and airated it fairly often for a period of ~40min. When not airating it, it the flask sat in a bath of 24c water. Around 5hrs later or so, the airlock on the fermentor started bubbling away. Ipretty much did the same thing with my last apa, and it's possibly my best brew yet. My last apa wasn't exactly the most clear of beers that I've brewed, but I couldn't fault it flavourwise. Who knows, maybe with filtering it would have been better, but I'm extremely happy with the results I get with this dried yeast, and don't think I'll bother with trying out the liquid form of it. A big thumbs up for Safale 56. Oh, my ferment temps varied between 16c to 18c.

Cheers :)

Edit: added ferment temps.

U-56

Where I live its stinking hot 24x7 so I ferment my brews in a wine fridge which is supposed to maintain the temp anywhere between 4 and 18 deg C depending on what u dial up. However it always errs on the conservative side and if I set at 18 deg C it drops to 14 deg C on the low end.

My U-56 brews turn out fine and still ferment out after 6 or 7 days at this temperature. The one problem I have with this yeast at cold temps is that it doesnt floc and settle out as well .... so you may find that to get the yeast to settle I have to raise the temp to 20 deg C for a day or so to allow the yeast to settle before racking to secondary.

Goose.

Back