Saf Us56 & Ag Pa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
i put down an ag pale ale a week ago using the saf us56 ale dry yeast. the og was 1046. it stayed around 18'c, formed a strong krausen, which fell away about 2 days ago. i was planning to cc it tonight but found the current gravity is 1018, when i was expecting about 1012. i gave it a bit of a swirl when the krausen was falling, however ive never used the us56 yeast before. i'll leave it overnight and see what the gravity is tmw, thou im not hopeful, as it looks 'finished'. any suggestions or experience with us56 ?

thanks

I had a similiar problem recently with a different ale yeast and fixed it with a swirl and raised the temp up a few deg and it finished out...

Hope it helps..

Matt

I've used US56 a number of times over the past couple of months. What I've found is that it starts well, but in the second half of the fermentation it gets a bit sluggish. It does eventually do the job, however it certainly isn't a high attentuator.

These experiences were are based on ales in around 1.050, 95% pale malt and 5% crystal, mashed at 66C.

I currently have another in primary that appears to be doing better. Exactly the same except mashed at 64C.

Cheers
MAH

Back