Saf K97

• Thread starter phantom
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

phantom

Has anyone used this yeast?.If so what sort of results did u have.
Good for wheats or not?
Ive been using wyeast 2565 kolsch in the past as it is clean and crispy.
I used it in a stout to achieve a dry finish.Boy what a krausen. :p

Is it any good to harvest and reuse?

Hi Phantom,
I've used it and have drunk many beers made with it. It certainly never gave the German wheat beer flavours and aromas. It actually reminded me of the yeast that you mentioned, a Koelsch yeast, my suspicions are that the 'K' stands for Koeln (Cologne)!
You could make a wheat with it but it will be just a wheat ale.

tdh

I used this in my first Belgian white, the real thing was unavailable. It was fine, but did not reproduce the authentic flavours, as you would expect, even though DCL say it can be used in Belgian wheats. It would be a good standby yeast to keep in the armoury.

I just had a look at the fermentis website and in their own words

"A German ale yeast selected for its ability to form a large firm head when fermenting. This top cropping ale yeast is suitable for top fermented beers with low esters levels and can be used for Belgian type wheat beers. Sedimentation: low. Final gravity: low."

Its got be a Koelsch or at least an Alt yeast
Cheers

I have to agree, ausdb. Beats me why they mention Belgian type wheat beers in the same breath???

My bet is it's a Koelsch yeast.

tdh

Phantom - I bottled a brew based on K-97 three weeks ago.

Tried a couple of "samples" during the ferment after checking S.G. and was unimpressed, only a faint hint of banana's and cloves. opened my first test bottle the other night and it ain't much better.

Had brewed the K-97 with an ESb kit, and I gotta say I was dumbfounded by how "milky" the brew was even after in the fermentng tun. Though it has started to settle after 3 weeks in the bottle.

Cheers,
Crow

PS: Anyone know where you can by Wyeast in Sydney ?

Yeah i opened one at 2weeks and it was still holding a lot in suspension,maybe thats why they use it for cloudiness rather than flava profile.
I condition for 6 weeks any way so hopefully it will settle out by then.
Wyeast 2565 took ages as well.

Did u do an esb wheat? Have u tried any others and how did u find em?

i did a esb fresh wort wheat kit with wlp400 (it think it was 400 anyway) and it turned out brilliant.

Back