Saf Dried Yeasts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I have been using liquis yeasts for a fair while now.

I have used about 20 different strains and sort of told myself i would never need to go back to dried yeast.

I have aquired 2 packs of dried yeast as a gift

one is S-33

the other is T-58

Does anyone know what these yeasts are like and if they are worth dropping in a brew?

i cant seem to google up a site to explain them either?

any help ?

cheers all :)

Tony,Here is a great article on dried yeasts including those you mentioned=
cheers
roach

Tony said:
I have been using liquis yeasts for a fair while now.

I have used about 20 different strains and sort of told myself i would never need to go back to dried yeast.

[post="82941"][/post]​

Tony,
Dont underestimate the quality of dried yeast just because they are cheaper. The only difference between dried and liquid is the greater variety of liquid yeast. At present, I believe that most strains of yeast cannot survive the drying process.

Dry yeast also has the advantage of having a higher cell count per packet that an average smack pack( so no starter is needed) , and its around 1/4 the price.

I have lately been switching back to dry yeast for my lagers for these reasons, and the saflager w34/70 i have been using has been coming up with some great results.

food for thought.

vlbaby.

Was just looking at the DCL website, apparently W-68 (for bavarian wheat beer) yeast is coming soon.
Has anyone seen it on sale anywhere?
Bazza

Bazza said:
Was just looking at the DCL website, apparently W-68 (for bavarian wheat beer) yeast is coming soon.
Has anyone seen it on sale anywhere?
Bazza
[post="82962"][/post]​

2years and waiting still,if you can find anyone who stocks it let us all know......

talk about teasing :blink:

I also have had great results with S-33, but like you I use Liquids most of the time. And thanks guys for the above links all good reading.

Spoke to the Fermentis (used to be DCL) GM in Munich a few weeks back - they have abndined the W68 strain - it just would not dry properly. They are however, well on the way to launching another weizen yeast strain that has performed well in tests to date. Stay tuned...

Wes

Nottingham

Wonderful dried yeast

Batz

thanks all

that was the info i was after.

sounds like i have a couple of belgian strains on my hands :)

mmmmmmmmmm maybe a dubble and a wit are in order.

oh christ.......... the to do list grows :unsure:

i will have to get more firmenters. i already have 3 x 30 liter and 2 x 60 liter.

mmmmmmmmm matbe i will get another 60 liter one on monday.

:D why not :)

cheers

Tony,

I'm trying T-58 for the first time now.
Probably the from the same source that you got yours.

Using because my starter for the DunkelRyeizen wasn't big enough for 40 litres, so pitched the T-58 into 25 litres and the WLP300 Hefe yeast into the 15 litres. Will do a comparison when they are fermented out, but both are fermenting strongly this morning after only pitching at half time in the Reds game last night.

Beers,
Doc

Doc, will be using T58 today in a Belgian style "Golden Ale". Sort of Leffe Blondish but only 4.8% alc. In the mash tun as we speak.

Wes

wessmith said:
Doc, will be using T58 today in a Belgian style "Golden Ale". Sort of Leffe Blondish but only 4.8% alc. In the mash tun as we speak.

Wes
[post="109631"][/post]​

Ah, Wes my favorite style. What hops are you using?

cheers
Darren

Yeah, a lovely style.
I'm still tinkering with my recipe, care to swap recipes?

Mine is so simple. Pils malt, 10% wheat malt and 1388 Wyeast.
Bitter with what ever hop you like. Stay around 20-25 IBU.
I can drink it from the fermenter.

cheers
Darren

Where did you get your T58 from. My HBS stocks only the two the SAFLAGER and the SAFALE and thats it.

Cheers

Hupnupnee

Doc, will be using T58 today in a Belgian style "Golden Ale". Sort of Leffe Blondish but only 4.8% alc. In the mash tun as we speak. - Wes

Mine is so simple. Pils malt, 10% wheat malt and 1388 Wyeast.
Bitter with what ever hop you like. Stay around 20-25 IBU.
I can drink it from the fermenter.
cheers
Darren

"I can drink it from the fermenter".
always the sign of a great beer, that and drinking the entire hydrometer tube and thinking about a re-pour.

i like your recipe simplicity Darren. do you try to keep your aroma hop to a minimum? maybe only 1 addition at 30-40mins?

Mine's a bit involved, but as I tinker, I'm stripping it back a bit. It's on tap atm and it's a lovely beer. Maybe the late hop addition can be canned. Very lightly carbonated and a great pint to finish the night with whislt reading brewing books <poindexter>

---------------------------
Tripel "Light" tangent
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 22 degC

Pilsner Malt 3.00 kg 55.7 % In Mash/Steeped
CaraMunich I 0.20 kg 3.7 % In Mash/Steeped
Wheat Malt 0.60 kg 11.1 % In Mash/Steeped
Galaxy 0.33 kg 6.1 % In Mash/Steeped
Pale Ale Malt 0.33 kg 6.1 % In Mash/Steeped
Maris Otter 0.33 kg 6.1 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
NZ Nelson Sauvin 12.7 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
NZ Pacific Gem 15.5 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings 3.7 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings 3.7 10 g Pelletized Hops 15 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Ginger Root 11 g In Boil
Irish Moss 3 g In Boil
Coriander Seed 11 g In Boil
Sultana Grapes - Chopped 11 g In Boil

Yeast
Wyeast 1214-Belgian Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Strike/Dough in at 74 degC 5
Rest at 66 degC 60 - readjust with more water for extra 30 mins rest.
----------------------------

It could do with a touch more crystal and maybe cut back on the other malts but I wanted complex and I got it.
The original was planned for some dexy as well instead of sugar, but I canned that during brew day.
I think the sultanas gave it a longer secondary and in the end probably weren't needed.
Next one I'll up the ginger by another 10gms. I can't tell if it's there yet, so I want to find the boundary of how much before you can detect it. I was really surprised how balanced it is for a scratch recipe and one of my favourite styles.

Golden Ale

55% JW Pilsner malt
40% JW Wendouree Gold Vienna
3% Weyermann Caraaroma
2% Weyerman Acidulated

Styrian Goldings for bittering
EKG for flavour - in 20 mins

Colour: EBC 14 to 15
Bitterness: 25.5 IBU
OG: 11.5

Mash: 60, 65, 72, 76

Ferment at 19C with Fermentis T56

In the fermenter as we speak. This brew will be the first under head pressure - will hold it around 0.2 to 0.3 Bar

Wes

Back