Sad lager s23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys looking at doing a schwarzbier recipe off beersmith 2...., yeast is saflager s23. Anything I need to know? Any problems may arise? Or is it good like us 05???

I personally don't like s23, tastes like old matches. Go for s189 or W34/70

I've never used s23, however it sounds like those that have wouldn't argue with the OP referring to it as "sad lager s23"

nathanvonbeerenstein said:
S-189 is a bomb at 9c gives me a nice clean ferment, often dont need a diacetyl rest too
costs a bomb too. :(

jkhlt1210 said:
Or is it good like us 05???
Sounds like a silly question but you do know the difference between a lager yeast (s23) and an ale yeast (us05) don't you? A problem will arise if you ferment it at the same temp as US05. Either way.....I prefer 189 over 23

I've got a Baltic Porter with s23 a few points of FG now.

Was fermented at 14 degrees. I think s23 likes it a little warmer.

Smells nice. Has the same sweet diacetyl thing going on but it has always cleared up for me in the bottle.

Just finished a sb with s23 at 12C. FG was 1015 - just OK for the style but would have preferred lower

Steve said:
Sounds like a silly question but you do know the difference between a lager yeast (s23) and an ale yeast (us05) don't you? A problem will arise if you ferment it at the same temp as US05. Either way.....I prefer 189 over 23
Yes I know the difference between the two I mean is it as reliable and as easy to use etc

jkhlt1210 said:
Yes I know the difference between the two I mean is it as reliable and as easy to use etc
I wish all yeast strains were as easy to use as US-05. It gives good results over a wide temp range and they package a nice high cell count so you can abuse it and still have good results.

More on point, my single lager yeast experience was much better than anticipated from reading online and homebrewing books. It's not that any different to fermenting an ale. Temp control is obviously important, but then it is for ales too.

Some people have posted that they don't like this yeast. In my experience there are two reasons for you not liking the result: either you just don't like the yeast or you treated it wrong. I say try it and make up your own mind. And then let us know so you can help make up mine. :p

Lager yeasts are, for the most part, harder to use than ale yeasts (particularly the bulletproof US05) - attention to pitching rates, nutrition, oxygen and fermentation profile is critical for a desirable ferment. I have had very pleasant results with S23 - quite fruity but otherwise very clean, dry and a crisp (depending on conditions). S189 is a lot cleaner, and W34/70 is a lot more characterful. All of these strains will vary significantly under different conditions - so I guess the point I'm making is that it will do exactly what you tell it to (just like a computer) and if it doesn't go to plan it wasn't the yeast's fault. You can produce a clean Schwarzbier with any of the aforementioned lager yeasts, but it will take a little bit more work and attention than US05.

brendanos said:
Lager yeasts are, for the most part, harder to use than ale yeasts (particularly the bulletproof US05) - attention to pitching rates, nutrition, oxygen and fermentation profile is critical for a desirable ferment. I have had very pleasant results with S23 - quite fruity but otherwise very clean, dry and a crisp (depending on conditions). S189 is a lot cleaner, and W34/70 is a lot more characterful. All of these strains will vary significantly under different conditions - so I guess the point I'm making is that it will do exactly what you tell it to (just like a computer) and if it doesn't go to plan it wasn't the yeast's fault. You can produce a clean Schwarzbier with any of the aforementioned lager yeasts, but it will take a little bit more work and attention than US05.
Regarding the part in red, the OP already said he was never going to ferment this lager with US-05, just that he wanted to know how easy the yeast is to use.

But you bring up a good point about pitching rates, nutrition and oxygen. I assumed the OP already knew about those things which seem to be more important for lager yeasts.

Latest posts

Back