Sabmiller Hostile Bid For Fosters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't care where these big corporations are owned. It's either rich bastards in Australia or rich bastards overseas, either way I don't see any of the money.

I really don't care where these big corporations are owned. It's either rich bastards in Australia or rich bastards overseas, either way I don't see any of the money.

I guess the argument is that the rich bastards of Australia keep their money local and employ local workers whether it be directly or indirectly through their spending.

Where as International corporations funnel their money offshore, never to be seen again.

I get your point though, these megaswill companies are already the bad guys, which is why I'm happy that they're going to become worse. It can only be good for the alternative.

I wonder sometimes, just how stupid do the big commercial breweries assume their customers are?

I was just listening to a statement made by some woman about her concerns that jobs may be lost and operations may move away from Victoria.
She went on to say that it is very important to consumers that brands like Victoria Bitter are made in Victoria.

WTF??? What about the importance of making brands like Budweiser in America? Or Corona in Mexico?

Off topic i suppose, but ... Every last drop of corona is brewed in mexico. It so happens that the mexicans find it very imprtant that this iconic mexican brand is brewed exclusively in mexico. Its not shit because its a BUL, its just shit.

Think about the brand and the iconography. To anyone who didn't grow up with it, vegemite is just vile tasting off yeast - to australians, its an icon. CUB is One of the few even comparable icons of this sort that are left.

And whether us beer snobs, and yes i include myself, care or not for the beer - the icon that is CUB and its brands is significant, and intrinsic "australian-ness" is part of that significance. It is bound to change. Better? Worse? Who Knows and maybe for some around here, who cares? But change it will.

Well, you learn something every day I guess. Who would have thought dirty ol Corona would refuse to have their crappy beer brewed under licence? Not me.

Anyway, all that aside, it's still a bit rich to make such a big deal about VB not being brewed in Vic when as Bribie said, a sizeable wad of it is already brewed in QLD.
Maybe this will all fizzle out and be forgotten about in around the same time it took for us to stop debating the rule on FWK/K+K and pro brewers entering the AABC.
So that should be right about.......... now.

Back