Saazy Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
About to do my first AG via the BIAB style,

Just wanted peoples opinion on the below - Only 11.5L

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.50 L
Boil Size: 16.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.75 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 100.00 %
28.30 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 33.8 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 5.8 IBU
28.30 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 2.75 kg

Go All Saaz..

and add a little bit of wheat...abot 8-10% would be enough...gives it a little extra edge

I agree.

Go all saaz.

double your 20 min adition and use a shed load of it to bitter

some wheat is good, also could chuck in 100g of light 100 to 145 EBC crystal for some malt character and complexity to ballance all the hops.

will be a nice beer for sure.

cheers

I would worry about the Xtal...but that is just me

Straight Saaz with a touch of wheat is really, rather nice... B)

And you cant really overdo the bittering with Saaz...you need HEAPS of it....but it is worth it

Cheers boys :) ,

The saaz is not an issue - I was given another Kilo of crushed Saaz flowers on Saturday :beerbang: - perfect timing.

In regards to the wheat - I'm not a wheat beer fan, would 10% wheat grain make much of a taste differnce,

I was thinking of maybe throwing in 250grams of Pilsner?

I make pretty much the recipe that would result from yours plus Tony's suggestion... really nice.

I dont use the wheat, but I reckon it would work really well. Not so much a big flavour difference, just a little crisper/zingier and a touch of flavour.

Any of those permutations is going to make a really nice drinkable beer.

Thirsty

10% wheat just adds enough zing without getting that wheat flavour/taste...I dont use any more than 10%. It also adds a touch of cloudyness to it..similar to Coopers Pale

Pilsner wont do a damn thing to the beer...it is only a slightly lighter ale malt..

mmm..im putting together tomorrows recipe atm, grain bill in pretty much the same, but i have some left over saaz b i want to use .. thinking of bittering with perle and then using that - good idea or bad?

this is what i have so far .. havnt used the saaz b much, and dont have a lot left .. and only have a us56 on hand. so a pale ale with it it is, im sick of cascade in pales ...

Code:
2B Not 2B Saaz Pale

Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (L):		  22.00	Wort Size (L):	 22.00

Total Grain (kg):		 4.70

Anticipated OG:		  1.054	

Anticipated SRM:		   7.4

Anticipated IBU:		  35.6

Wort Boil Time:			 60	Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%	 Amount	 Name						  

----------------------------------------------

36.2	 1.70 kg.  Generic LME - Light	  

6.4	 0.30 kg.  Crystal				   

53.2	 2.50 kg.  Pilsner				   

4.3	 0.20 kg.  Wheat Malt			 

Hops

Amount	 Name							  Form	Alpha  IBU  Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

20.00 g.	 Perle							  Pellet   6.00  17.6  60 min.

10.00 g.	 Saaz B							Pellet   6.70   9.8  60 min.

15.00 g.	 Saaz B							Pellet   6.70   5.0  20 min.

20.00 g.	 Saaz B							Pellet   6.70   3.3  1 min.

Yeast

-----

us56

Looks good to me, but I suppose you've brewed that now facter ?

I've done some similar brews which always go down a treat.
I also use some Munich, 250-500gm but less crystal and wheat and sometimes 50gm chocolate. Depends on your taste I guess

The late B Saaz additions are great - I'd add another 20 - 30gm after the boil too - that's if you have any left - or dry hop in secondary if you've brewed already.

Sorry, can't comment on the combo with perle, I've never used it

cheers, jt

I also use some Munich, 250-500gm but less crystal and wheat and sometimes 50gm chocolate. Depends on your taste I guess

The late B Saaz additions are great - I'd add another 20 - 30gm after the boil too - that's if you have any left - or dry hop in secondary if you've brewed already.

cheers, jt

Jaytee - what effect has the 50g chocolate have on 1. colour 2. taste / flavour. ?

50gm's not a lot of chocolate

I reckon biggest effect is on the colour, gives a slightly darker hue. I use less crystal - 150gm dark - and I get an amber / red colour. Read the recently revived Sassy red thread for the comments on Roast Barley vs Chocolate for colour.

If you're using medium crystal you'll pick it up more easily in the taste compared to using dark crystal.

Anyhow, it's way out of the Pale Ale category - just love the big B Saaz additions !

Cheers, jt

cheers, jt

cheers JT - I ended up actually subbing in about 500 grams of vienna just for kicks, and I do actually have about 20 grams of the saaz b left over - I'll throw that into secondary to dry-hop it. Its quite light in color as well as i used an extra-light LME, so thats nice too.

I think the perle combines quite well with it at the moment, but I guess the proof will be once its all finished .. i do love the perle, its actually a fairly neutral bittering hop with a slight spice to it that goes hand in hand with the saaz b (I guess we should start calling it Motueka instead of saaz b now though eh? haha

I had a quick taste of it still in ferment yesterday, and it is tasting pretty damn good - not quite like anything ive made before - the saaz b really is a great hop and quite spicy and distinctive, looking forward to getting this one into a keg!

I think the perle combines quite well with it at the moment, but I guess the proof will be once its all finished .. i do love the perle, its actually a fairly neutral bittering hop with a slight spice to it that goes hand in hand with the saaz b

Ok, I wasn't sure what the Perle was like.

I used Super Alpha for the bittering, probably in the same bu:eek:g ratio you have for the Perle.

That early in the boil and at that ratio and with the B Saaz it doesn't stand out or contribute much apart from bitterness - for me anyway.

May give it a go myself with the Vienna too

Sounds like it's going to be a great beer

Cheers, jt

Latest posts

Back