Saas Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I tried a James Squire Pils the other day and loved the taste, please confirm if this is SAAS hops or not. If so can SAAS hops be added to any style of beer? and is it best to steep them and add at pitching or wait until racking or bulk priming?

SJW said:
I tried a James Squire Pils the other day and loved the taste, please confirm if this is SAAS hops or not. If so can SAAS hops be added to any style of beer? and is it best to steep them and add at pitching or wait until racking or bulk priming?
"Saaz" hops are predominantly used in Bohemian Pilseners. If you really want a nice clean hit of them, try Pilsner Urquel, it is imho the definative Pils and prime example of the commercial use of Saaz.

Saaz also go well in pale ales. I used them for flavour and aroma in a Belgian Pale Ale and it was lovely.

and yes the JS Pils uses Saaz hops.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks guys

I'm not sure if I am doing somethign wrong but every time I use saaz hops I get a grassy taste which takes months to disapear.

I only dry hopped 10 grams of saaz into primary (hop tea) this time and still I got the overpowering grassy taste.

I CC'ed the brew too for a few weeks which I thought might help remove the grassy taste.

As much as it hurts me to say this, I am going to have to wash my hands of saaz hops all together. Never going to use them for a dry hopping or aroma again.

:angry:

Unless someone has any tips to help remove this grassy taste? I'm sick of wasting good beer!

Sluggerdog, pellets tend to give a grassy taste if used as dry hops. Before you give up on Saaz altogether try dryhopping with a plug of Czech Saaz.

I have no idea why you are getting a grassy taste using your Saaz pellets as an aroma hop.

Jovial Monk

sluggerdog,

Try aroma steeping them for 20 mins, 10 mins after the boil - I've found this hits the grassy taste on the head. also found that hops that are not at their freshest may impart that flavour as well, as never had a problem dry hopping with fresh plugs, but I have had problems with pellets stored badly at the HBS...

Ok Jovial Monk, might give a plug a go.

The real shame is I started homebrewing because I wanted to create a bohemian/Czech pilsner.. bit hard to do this without saaz

haha

No worries Ross, it might have been that too, will try the plugs!

Good day
I don't think German or Czech brewers dry hop. You can achieve plenty of refined Saaz aroma with hop plugs near the end, at the end and after the end of the boil. The pelleting process does diminish the aromatic hop oils to some degree.

Cheers Barry, Thanks for the info, will stick away from dry hopping saaz from now on

Sluggerdog

I do a fair few pils and never get that grassy taste for long. Like the others have said, add your hops either just before flame out or just after. I prefer plugs for the late additions, but pellets are fine for bittering. That applies to all beers, not just pils.

Cheers
Pedro

from experience guys, i would not dry hop with saaz. Beautiful hop, just dont dry hop with it.

OK after 2 more weeks of CC (4 total) the saaz grassy taste has eased more.

I would say in 1 week more the brew will be fine.

So about 5 weeks CC will fix the grassy taste of 10 grams of saaz dry hopped.

Back