Sa Home Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I haven't brewed in 18months. Last time i bought grain i had three shops to choose from, Grumpy's, Goliaths and Jovial Monks.

However its seems one is only online and i dont know if ill get the product in time for the weekend, the other is gone and the last has never got stock!!!!!!

So my question is : where does everyone shop now. Shops like craft brewer are great but to get 6kg of grain it will cost me $20 in freight. If only they were in Adelaide.

please help.

Bill's in Holden Hill, on North East Road. The shop name is Brewmaker, 5/560 North East Road, 8369 3649. Just found his card in my wallet, no affiliation but always had good service and helpful advice from there.

Bill's in Holden Hill, on North East Road. The shop name is Brewmaker, 5/560 North East Road, 8369 3649. Just found his card in my wallet, no affiliation but always had good service and helpful advice from there.

Totally agree, Bill is an excellent guy and has a very good selection of most needed specialty grains and a reasonable collection of hops. He usually has a collection of yeast [Wyeast]. I got a bag of JWM Pils the other day and there was at least 3 plus Pale left.

Steve

Was in there at lunchtime today and saw that 5kgs of Pale Malt goes for $16.00.

Beerbelly may have some grain in stock http://www.beerbelly.com.au/

or even Darren if you are willing to purchase a full bag.

Welcome back wedge and I reckon Crispy has your hops still from the bulk buy back in 2004 :ph34r: !

C&B
TDA

Another vote for Bill's place, it's a great place to go to, though when it's busy he's not in the mood to stand around and chat (understandably)

Beerbelly, lots of hops too to go with your malt :)

Just a quick question. I haven't brewed in 18months. Last time i bought grain i had three shops to choose from, Grumpy's, Goliaths and Jovial Monks.

However its seems one is only online and i dont know if ill get the product in time for the weekend, the other is gone and the last has never got stock!!!!!!

So my question is : where does everyone shop now. Shops like craft brewer are great but to get 6kg of grain it will cost me $20 in freight. If only they were in Adelaide.

please help.

Grumpy's isn't only online. Give them a ring. They'll make up your recipe for you, just like the JM will.
The JM gets all his stuff from brewmaker (I think) and he makes a regular trip on Thursdays or Fridays (can't remember). If you ask very sweetly, he will pick up what you want.
Works for me anyway.

Shops like craft brewer are great but to get 6kg of grain it will cost me $20 in freight. If only they were in Adelaide.

please help.

Actually $10 for 6kg :)

Cheers Ross

Ditto: Bill is really Good, I always buy stacks more then I come in for when I go there.

Hey Wedge,

I still have plenty of malts available.

cheers

Darren

Bill gets my vote too....

He sponsors the Tanunda Show and gives the BBC a great deal.

Wedge I'm very much in the same boat as yourself although I've probably been out of it a bit longer.

My other local brew shop moved to Salisbury so not exactly local anymore, the next closest is Bill's as it's called and I have absolutely nothing but praise for the gentleman I spoke to, he was perhaps in his 30's I suppose but it was top notch service and will be going bad for sure.

Still being stuck on K&K he was happy to have a chat and from what I gathered was very reasonable in pricing department unlike Brewcraft which seemed to really overcharge for a number of things.

3d_emoticon_thumbUp.gif
To both Bill and Luke.

Thumbs up here for Wayne at Beerbelly, he's much closer to me than Brewmaker is, and he has fresh hops and bling (though this isn't always good :) ). Thumbs up for brewmaker too.

When ever I went to Bill or Luke I would always get the...

Yeah, you can make beer with grain but the other weekend I made this fantastic kit. I used this kit here with some extra hops and a bit of specialty malt. Bloody beautiful mate.

Never bought malt from them because it was always over-priced.

Hops in Australia would also be heaps cheaper if groups of you (with an ABN) organised bulk buys. Cutting out the middleman significantly reduces the cost of beer.

cheers

darren

Yep I have grain (no charge for crushing) and heaps of hops (especially NZ whole flower hops) in stock, and at present I am here & open 7 days 9am-9pm inc public holidays (not this Sunday though as I have promised my young fella a day at the playground and a vist to the airport to watch the planes take off and land :) )

I like to think my overall prices are extremely competitive . I like to look after my locals :D
I'm also a firm believer that hops belong in the fridge at ALL times....not on the shelf in the shop.......

Now it's 9 o'clock...& I'm going home :D

When ever I went to Bill or Luke I would always get the...
Yeah, you can make beer with grain but the other weekend I made this fantastic kit. I used this kit here with some extra hops and a bit of specialty malt. Bloody beautiful mate.
Well they helped me to go all grain almost 12 years ago and seemed happy to have people interested in it. With bulkbuys (which I support!) maybe the commercial reality is to push to K+Stuff.
I wouldn't discount JM who is closer to me - I do ring ahead though to make sure he has what I want.

:icon_offtopic: Hey Braufrau, I still have your cooler bag, bowl and cake dish from the December brewday/swap here...............much as I like extra cookware, I don't have much time for it anymore :D.......perhaps you/someone would like to arrange to collect it sometime? (I've PM'd you more than once, but you don't answer...)

By the way, your contribution to the swap was a goodie.....came in the top few as far as enjoyable/drinkable goes for me and the missus. Nice .

ill give beerbelly i a boost up, always great service with a smile, has good prices too!!!

Back