SA AHB Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy snappin' duckshit Batman!!!!

Sittin' out the back sippin' an IPA, when kaboom....one of the xmas case beers explodes in my bar and scares the piss outa me.....good thing I wasnt in the bar I guess....

Once the heart rate subsided, I looked in to see brown glass and beer everywhere...

alas......the Rush 2112 is no more.

Got any more Jayse?....woulda liked to have tried that.

Oh, and I tried the Freedom Ale last night - very nice, well done to whoever made that...(I could look back through the post and find out, but I'm a lazy bugger)

Cheers, :beer:

Crispy

Tonights beer were from the Kai stable.

Both were a bit undercarbonated which was more noticeable with the Glacier summer ale.

Glacier summer ale.
Nice fruit / honey aroma and a sweetness on that palate. it was almost a little bit cloying at the finish and may need to be attenuated a bit more. SWMBO took the glass after I had a few sips and didn't return it until it was empty

The American Double Brown Ale
Aroma of choc / coffee and also on the palate. Good malt flavours, med / full mouthfeel and finish to it.though could do a with some more bitterness to balance it.

Cheers
Pedro

The Glacier was a bit of a puzzler. The attenuation was good, it went from 1.048 to 1.008, and the calculated bitterness was supposed to be around 36 IBU. Did not taste like it, though.

ok just finished a BSVE pilsner,22 on the cap,pours a reasonable head first up
slightly cloudy but not to bad ,slight lacing on the glass,dont know why i always comment on the lacing but somhow it seems to add to the sight appeal which makes the beer taste better.???? nice light hop flavor coming through,malty and this is a really nice lager,

no its a bloody nice lager,smooth creamy and i could drink some more of these
well made whoever owns it,was this an AG or somthing different
cheers
fergi

fergi the bsve pils anthony macs beer and i think it an all grain beer and i think in the case 98% are all grain beers

Fergi, I think you will find that all the beers in your case are all grain with the possible exception of GMK's Imperial Chocolate Stout - which has a smattering of other additions :)

I have been too lazy to post individual reviews, but with only 15 bottles remaining I have to say I have been most impressed. The high standard of last year's case has certainly been matched, superceded even :party: .

Might be the time of year, but the pils and the APAs have tended to slip down the most appreciatively this year. I have enjoyed some beautiful beers that might just have been better appreciated if cellared until at least the air con got switched off :eek: .

Mental note to myself .... "Must practice moderation with some of the heavier beers next year".

awrabest, stu

wee stu said:
Fergi, I think you will find that all the beers in your case are all grain with the possible exception of GMK's Imperial Chocolate Stout - which has a smattering of other additions :)

There's at least one other partial in there too :ph34r:

Crispy said:
Holy snappin' duckshit Batman!!!!

[post="101739"][/post]​

God damn, sorry Chris, I don't think i'll have any left by the time I see you next but all the same i'll have something for ya, send me the dry cleaning bill for the trousers you were wearing at the time. :lol:

I did try to carbonate the hell out of the beer to go for the real authentic steam beer carbonation, sadly I should not have used very old light weight twist top swill bottles. <_<

Anyway i'll make it up to ya somehow, someday. :chug: :chug:

A horse called war.
Jayse

Not being a guzzler like some of the other South Aussies

MAHs M4
Dark brown with a tinge of red
Good malt aroma, a bit bread like
medium carbonation with very low head which is spot on for this style, the beer laces nicely down the side of the glass.
Med to med-full body and an excellent balance of malt and hops. Good flavours as the beer warms to the correct temperature - malty with a bit of choc, touch of roast

Overall, another excellent beer.

Cheers
Pedro

Hawkseys Rye IPA was getting to excited in the bottle and decided it needed to get out whilst I was away for work. :(

I have drunk around 1/2 my case and am enjoying them. Big ups for Jazmans J1, MAH's M3, Pedros Plight, Crispy's IPA and The Belgian Pale from Wildbeesattack (I think).

C&B
TDA

Kai, I cracked your ABBA last night and it was bloody lovely :beerbang:

Could you put the recipe up please, could not find it on this thread.

C&B
TDA

I took some of the Xmas Case down to Goolwa to share with my dad on the weekend.
WIll need to find the recipe for the Skunk Fart and the M3, really nice - i also liked Hawksey's Rye IPA...
still got the other half of the Xmas Case to drink.

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Kai, I cracked your ABBA last night and it was bloody lovely :beerbang:

Could you put the recipe up please, could not find it on this thread.

C&B
TDA
[post="104209"][/post]​

I'm glad you liked it. Yours wasn't flat, was it?

It was a partial, recipe is as follows:

Simcoe american brown ale, xmas case
american double brown ale

brewed 25/9/05

16% 800g JW ale malt
16% 800g pils malt
12% 600g Weyermann munich
4% 200g Weyermann Cara Aroma
2% 100g TF chocolate

200g sugar
1.5kg LME

target volume 21L
target gravity 1.050
target bitterness 46 IBU

20g Simcoe 12% AA @ 60, 26 IBU
30g Simcoe 12% AA @ 15, 20 IBU
30g Simcoe @ flameout

Wyeast 1056

OG 1.054
FG 1.014

fermented at around 21-22C

The sugar is just to balance the low attenuation of the extract. I'm sure you could just replace them both with the equivalent amount of pale base grain. I treated the extract as 50% of the grain bill.

I have given up on posting about every beer but I just had one that requires a mention. Just knocked of the "Kilt Lifter". A sensational drop. A nice rich malty flavour with plenty of complex supporting flavours. A great alcohol warmth. Everything you would want from the style. Thank you Stu. I really enjoyed it. Cheers.

last night i had teh Colonel Klink Octoberfest - really really good - will need to add that to the brew list.....

Looks like this years Xmas Case is a resounding Success - except for mine - sorry about the over carbonation and infection that developed later on - i had both entries judged at SABSOSA - they scored 32 and 36 out of 50 with no mention of any infections - hence it must have developed later - but i wanted to put tried, tested and judged beer in - will do better this year.

Thanks to all who have made teh Xmas and Charity Case a HUGE Success Last Year.

Back