S23 Temp Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
according to Fermentis "80 to 120 g/hl for pitching at 12C 15C. Increase dosage for pitching below 12C, up to 200 to 300 g/hl at 9C" which for my 20/19L brew, would mean about 40gms. i have 2 x 11.5gm packs.

my fridge at the moment is struggling to stay at 10C but can sit quite happily at 9C. i'm going to be pitching this yeast for a lager and wanted to know if, with 2 x packs of 11.5g, i'd have any problems? anyone else had experience with this yeast at that lower end of its spectrum? if it started up, would this low temp stop it prematurely? chuck it in anyway and stop my whinging? :)

cheers.

I would just pitch it but if you have doubts then get the 2 packs into a 1L starter and pitch the whole thing at high krausen, wort and all.

Drew

Hey Fletcher,
if this is for your cerveza, you could pitch 2 packs dry into your fermenter at about 13c, allow it to fire up(12-24 hours) then drop temps down to 9c.
You have planned a D-rest anyway so that will clean up any flavour produced early on.

Hey Fletcher,
if this is for your cerveza, you could pitch 2 packs dry into your fermenter at about 13c, allow it to fire up(12-24 hours) then drop temps down to 9c.
You have planned a D-rest anyway so that will clean up any flavour produced early on.

thanks mate, yeah it is for my cerveza.

my only thing is, i just got my bar fridge set up, and i'm in the process of testing the dial (and subsequent temps) as i'd rather not buy an STC if i can help it. so i'm setting the dial, leaving a thermometer in the main compartment, and waiting approx 10-15 mins, and seeing what temp it is. for some reason, when i turned it above where it was set at at 9C, to try and find 12 the sweet spot, the light switched off and it seemed not to be making any noise (wasn't sure if i'd turned it off or not). i then thought well it could just be 'switching off' due to needing to heat up to that temp like an oven does when it needs to cool to a lower temp...and that was sadly where i'd left it as i had to leave the house.

i haven't had time today to check those higher settings/temps. i'm HOPING i can get to 11-12 and then i'll be happy, i just thought i'd ask first.

wow...reading back over that i hope i've made sense haha. basically i'm going to test those dial temps slightly higher to see if 11c or 12c is able to be reached, and stable, then i'm sweet, and i can pitch at that.

does that make sense? if i couldn't though, it's why i asked about 9C

you know what? after all that, i'm just gonna get an STC1000. f$%k it. with the d-rest and then cold crashing, it's not worth the worry :)

Latest posts

Back