S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
Ok so this may be a dumb question but..... What is s189 yeast? who makes it. I've had a look at various threads but cant find a brand name. I want to get some but find find it listed on any of the HB websites to order it.

is it a liquid yeast and thats why its not available via mail order?

It's a dry yeast made by Fermentis - the Saflager/Safale crowd. Craftbrewer sell it as "swiss lager" yeast.

It's a dry yeast made by Fermentis - the Saflager/Safale crowd. Craftbrewer sell it as "swiss lager" yeast.
Cheers.
should have also asked..what temp should it be used at. Ive got a pils kit, so use at about 10-12C?

Anyone got any comments on how this yeast compares to others like W34/70 and S23? To date these are only two dry lager yeasts I have used and both have been great. How does S189 compare? What styles would it be best suited to?

what would the opinion by as whetehr to rehydrate or not? Ive read the specs and it says you can either dry pitch or rehydrate. opinions?

Anyone got any comments on how this yeast compares to others like W34/70 and S23? To date these are only two dry lager yeasts I have used and both have been great. How does S189 compare? What styles would it be best suited to?

Tim,

Leaves 34/70 dead IMO, but never tried S23. Ferments stronger, cleaner and with little to no sulphur. A very clean and versatlie dry yeast. I've used from Pilsner, Vienna, Maibock and now Dopplebock, all with great results. The best dried lager yeast for me :beerbang:

Cheers.

Tim,

Leaves 34/70 dead IMO, but never tried S23. Ferments stronger, cleaner and with little to no sulphur. A very clean and versatlie dry yeast. I've used from Pilsner, Vienna, Maibock and now Dopplebock, all with great results. The best dried lager yeast for me :beerbang:

Cheers.

Geez, sounds pretty good! :super:

Might have to give it a shot for my next round of lagers! :beer:

BTW Duff, I brewed your Cascade/Simcoe Hopburst APA today. My first time using Simcoe - bloody hell that stuff smells good out of the packet!!! :chug:

It is a good yeast - i like it.

Kept some aside from my last Czech Pils.
Stored in th ekeg fridge at 5C with dried malt and sanitised water.
Went to reuse 4 weeks later - and it smelled distinctly of Parmesan Cheese?

No idea if it was good to use as i chucked it after smelling that ....

It is a good yeast - i like it.

Kept some aside from my last Czech Pils.
Stored in th ekeg fridge at 5C with dried malt and sanitised water.
Went to reuse 4 weeks later - and it smelled distinctly of Parmesan Cheese?

No idea if it was good to use as i chucked it after smelling that ....
You could have spread it on your spaghetti GMK. :lol:

I'm sipping a 1.076 Baltic Porter fermented with two packs of S-189. Fermented for 3 weeks at 11C followed by a 2 day diacetyl rest at 20C then another 2 weeks at 11C and it's been in the keg since Friday. Tastes pretty damn fine right now, although I reckon another 2 weeks cold will smooth it out even more.

Have used a few of these myself, seem pretty darn good from what i can tell.
Haven't been brewing all that long but just purchased another 6 packs today!!!

Cheers Ross! :D

Yeah, I have to say I am pretty impressed with this yeast as well, definately ferments cleaner and dryer than 34/70 and I thought that was pretty good for a dry lager yeast. Also seems to drop pretty clear as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Yeah, I have to say I am pretty impressed with this yeast as well, definately ferments cleaner and dryer than 34/70 and I thought that was pretty good for a dry lager yeast. Also seems to drop pretty clear as well.

Cheers
Andrew

I am also pleased with the results from this yeast,plan on brewing a very clean pils this week to really check it out.

Batz

Good to know. I've got 2 pilsners with S189 in the fridge at the moment.

My first batch using S-189 is down to 75% attenuation, is it likely to go any further? Fermentis website says medium attenuation. OG 51, now at 13. AG recipe mashed at 66 degrees.

Back