S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got sick of making starters and stepping up when using liquids so decided to try this yeast.
Made a CAP and then dumped a Pilsner onto the yeast cake and yesterday dumped a Schwarzbier onto the Pilsner yeast cake.
if the Cap and Pilsner tastes as good as it was going into the kegs yesterday i may never go near liquid again :icon_cheers:

Rook

I often keep sludge from "dry" yeasts, i.e. US-05 and S-189. That's often cited as being cheap-arse as dried yeasts are so cheap. However with liquid yeasts currently sub-$10 and dried yeasts around $5 I wouldn't say they are all that cheap and certainly worth running on for a few brews.

Nice necro Rook - didn't notice :lol:

gravedigging.jpeg

Anyone had any luck buying a 500g pack from overseas lately? Some sites had them for as little as $65

Virtually impossible.

You can get it delivered from Germany for pretty much the same price as Craftbrewer sells it, so no point.

Canada won't ship, and no luck in the US.

I also purchase the 12g packets from Craftbrewer.

I did consider an overseas purchase, but the S-189 yeast ships from the manufacturer in 500g packs only. Clearly targetted at commercial brewery markets, not the homebrewer.

The added value in Craftbrewer's service is in the breakbulk and repackaging. I just hope they use an aseptic technique in the repackaging process.... :mellow: but not had a problem so far.

Will have a full yeast cake of S-189 available on the weekend and was considering using it for an American pale ale-esque style beer. Just simple ale malt, bit of crystal with cascade, galaxy and nelson. Fermented low to avoid esters. Anyone tried something similar with this yeast with good results?

Another necro post but i just used some s-189 with a coopers euro lager and pitched the yeast at 20c, label said 9-22 but ideal was 15-20. No action after 24hrs so wondering if i should move the fermenter outisde as its currently 16c in my laundry - could move it to the shed if i make some space.

it is a lager yeast so depending on the temp for pitching rate if on the cold side at least twice ale pitching rate
give it time

So its coming up to 3 weeks now and still not finished which i sort expect for this time of year, strangely on the weekend it was quite warm and i noticed a bit more lively action in the airlock than usual as the temp was up to 20c.
Back to normal winter weather and its slowed down again, SG was still high when i checked on the weekend.

So its coming up to 3 weeks now and still not finished which i sort expect for this time of year, strangely on the weekend it was quite warm and i noticed a bit more lively action in the airlock than usual as the temp was up to 20c.
Back to normal winter weather and its slowed down again, SG was still high when i checked on the weekend.

How are you judging it as finished or not?

Bubbles in the air lock does not mean there is any yeast activity. The airlock can bubble for a multitude of reasons. The only way to know if its fermenting or not is to check the SG. If the SG hasnt moved in 2 or 3 days then call it FG.

You mentioned SG is high, how high?

Fermentis recommends it for malty lagers. I've used it (as Ross's Swiss Lager Yeast) in an Oktoberfest, an old Czech medium dark lager clone and in a dunkel and loved it. Prefer it over 34/70 for that purpose, but 34/70 is much more widely used in pilsners.

For 23L at OG @ 1.050 I pitch 2 x 189 at 10 and slowly raise to 13, then to 18 after active fermentation finishes.

How are you judging it as finished or not?

Bubbles in the air lock does not mean there is any yeast activity. The airlock can bubble for a multitude of reasons. The only way to know if its fermenting or not is to check the SG. If the SG hasnt moved in 2 or 3 days then call it FG.

You mentioned SG is high, how high?

1.010 for a couple days but i left it for a weekend , all bottled/kegged now.

I've got a pretty simple lager fermenting at the moment with S189, what are peoples thoughts on lagering using this yeast? It's been fermenting at 18deg.

you will enjoy it when it drops crystal clear, will take a few weeks from my experience. Did a Maibock with it and it was excellent.

Back