S-33

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
hey
put down a wheat on saterday night with safbrew s-33(trappist?)
noticed last night small dark brown lumps on top of krausen and this arvo its dark brown all over.looks like a creme broule.i also added 3 lemons 5 mins left to boil and removed before adding to fermenter. maybey to do with this?or is this common with this yeast?
also ive read on sites (US) to remove the scum from the top of krausen part way through brew.do you guys?
any thoughts?
cheer big ears

I haven't used that particular yeast, but it just sounds like it's throwing up a lot of debris (hops, proteins etc) maybe the lemons have contributed something untoward. If it's a wheat then there's going to be more proteins etc.

Some folks do indeed recommend skimming the yeast to remove this debris, before it can fall back in the fermenting wort but it's a risky business. You have to be paranoid about cleanliness - anything you shove into the krausen has the chance of contamination.

Also try to disturb the CO2 blanket as little as possible.

Perhaps you need to rack this brew earlier than normal if there's a lot of crap floating through it?

Trev

sounds like a plan i may rack a little earlier
also noticed after i rehydrated yeast it has this awesome fruity smell much stronger than any yeast ive used before, interested to see how it comes out

thanks trev

JFK,
I think it is yeast that didn't get rehydrated properly. Is quite common with dried yeast. Gets thrown up on the krausen and cant get back down into the beer.
cheers
Darren

Hi Boottlerocket

I've used this yeast a couple of time lately. In fact I've got a Mild fermenting with it now. Personally I don't think it's a trapist yeast and probably will not give you the wheat beer characteristics you're after, but it's pretty nice in an English ale.

OK, aside from those observations, the bown lumps are probably just crud like protein and hop debris, the same stuff that forms the ring around your fermenter (ooohh errr that sounds a tad rude really). As you said some people skim and others don't. personally if i notice a thick layer of this brown crud I skim. If it's minimal, like yours sounds, I leave it alone.

My suggestion is to relax, let it ferment as normal, and forget about it.

Cheers
MAH

I thought I'd use this thread to show my experience with this yeast:

I've only used it in two brews so far, but both only threw a small krasen and fermented very quickly at 22C. The first brew was an AG Weizen OG of 1.052 which came down to 1.012 in two days and the second was a extract Bees Knees clone that has no krasen at the moment but is fizzing like champagne. Both have delivered the desired tastes with no off notes and are seeming to have yeast in suspention with very little flocculation.

So far I'm very happy with it, but i'll hold my judgement till I taste the finnished conditioned product :chug:

Cheers,

TS

an AG Weizen OG of 1.052 which came down to 1.012 in two days

So far I'm very happy with it, but i'll hold my judgement till I taste the finnished conditioned product :chug:

Cheers,

TS

I'll be watching with interest to see what your results with the Weizen are at around week 4 or so.
keep us posted.

an AG Weizen OG of 1.052 which came down to 1.012 in two days

Cheers,

TS

I'll be watching with interest to see what your results with the Weizen are at around week 4 or so.
keep us posted.

Me too. if this is a good weizen yeast, I must try it.

Have found it very suitable for a Leffe Blonde clone.

Seth :p

Back