S-33, Pale Malt, Hallertau, Fuggles & Cascade Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I'm planning my next brew day around the yeast I have. S-33 didn't work very well for me in a high gravity brew but I was hoping it would be ok in a low-octane quaff.

4.5 - 5Kg Pale 2-row malt

pellet hops

30g Haullertau @ 60 minutes

30g Fuggles @ 10 minutes

30g Cascade @ 1 minutes

crash chill

S-33 yeast

Is this a certain style beer? It just sounded good for our upcoming warmer weather

Odd mix of hops.

Might work but you have US grapefruity hops, English earthy minty hops and german lemony floral hops with a lager yeast.

Depends what you are chasing exactly.

If you really want to use all 3 together, I'd use fuggles for bittering and the hallertau at the ten minute mark.

Otherwise just the hallertau, make a nice lemony/floral refreshing lager and use the others for something else.

Odd mix of hops.

Might work but you have US grapefruity hops, English earthy minty hops and german lemony floral hops with a lager yeast.

Depends what you are chasing exactly.

If you really want to use all 3 together, I'd use fuggles for bittering and the hallertau at the ten minute mark.

Otherwise just the hallertau, make a nice lemony/floral refreshing lager and use the others for something else.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_S-33_HB.pdf

Its supposed to be a Trappist Belgian yeast. I have for the most part made "Hey, that sounds good" beer. Drinkable, nothing has ever been bad.

So what you're saying...the pale malt will get lost in the hops and the hallertau would be a better balance. Cool a SMaSH recipe

Don't barf. Instead of candi sugar could a guy use apple or grape juice?

I would just drop the fuggles.
Depending how much cascade your planning on using it may or may not work? @ 1g / L i would not see it being that out of place. I had few beers in Belg that were using US C hops, not at US hopping rates and they were quite interesting.

And yes S33 is supposed to be a trappist yeast, i think mants was confusing with S23

I was confusing it with s-23. I'm not much of a dried yeast user.

I think cascade and hall could work together but fuggles is odd. Not saying the pale malt will get lost - just that the hop characters won't necessarily meld. A bit like steak topped with pigeon saltimbocca and avocado.

Apple juice or grape juice? My mind says no but you could always try blending a small amount. I could be wrong.

I was confusing it with s-23. I'm not much of a dried yeast user.

I think cascade and hall could work together but fuggles is odd. Not saying the pale malt will get lost - just that the hop characters won't necessarily meld. A bit like steak topped with pigeon saltimbocca and avocado.

Apple juice or grape juice? My mind says no but you could always try blending a small amount. I could be wrong.
I figured fructose was fructose

Fructose is fructose. Apple juice isn't fructose though - it just contains fructose.

Fructose is fructose. Apple juice isn't fructose though - it just contains fructose.

I suppose. Maybe I'll do a liter or 2 experiment before I go all out.

edit...

Just when I thought I was being creative, I googled Belgian apple ale...it's been done...with success....more than once

I refer to my comments on your last post for recipe advice (porter I believe).

This was given to me by a BJCP judge, and basically was try not to mix hop countries as the flavour can end up confused, ie keep it all english, US or european style.

So I wouldn't mix Hall and fuggles.

But hey, the beer I made was a quaffer so you might make the next big thing...

My 2c.

I've used S-33 quite a bit. In terms of flavour profile, I personally wouldn't describe it as a Belgian yeast. It is probably described as a Belgian as it can tolerate high alcohol levels. To me it is a fairly simple, low attenuating yeast (i.e. don't mash high or use loads of crystal as it is already low attenuating and the beer will be very sweet).

For a long time it was the yeast I used to make Milds. It really suited the low alcohol style of beer. It could probably work well in an Ordinary Bitter.

Also don't worry too much about mixing your hops, you just need to think about which hop go together. Hallertau and Cascade go together great. Early additions of Hallertau with late additions of Cascade are a really nice blend of spicy and citrus. This is my standard approach for making APA's. Also Hallertau and Fuggle work nicely with a spicy and earthy blend. Just don't try and blend too many different flavours.

So maybe go for a 3.5%-4.0% quaffer, in an English Bitter style.

Use your pale malt and and a small amount of crystal, to give a little more complexity to the malt profile. Then either use a mix of Hallertau/Fuggle or Hallertau/Cascade (historicaly English brewers used a blend of hops from different regions, including the USA, then moved to using predominantly English hops, and now a number of breweries are again blending hops from different regions).

If using Hallertau/Fuggle I would use a darker crystal as I like the richer caramel flavour against the earthy notes of Fuggle. If using Hallertau/Cascade I would use a very light crystal to let the Cascade shine on its own a bit more.

Mash at 65C, to accommodate the low attenuating S-33.

Good luck.

Cheers
MAH

I've used S-33 quite a bit. In terms of flavour profile, I personally wouldn't describe it as a Belgian yeast. It is probably described as a Belgian as it can tolerate high alcohol levels. To me it is a fairly simple, low attenuating yeast (i.e. don't mash high or use loads of crystal as it is already low attenuating and the beer will be very sweet).

For a long time it was the yeast I used to make Milds. It really suited the low alcohol style of beer. It could probably work well in an Ordinary Bitter.

Also don't worry too much about mixing your hops, you just need to think about which hop go together. Hallertau and Cascade go together great. Early additions of Hallertau with late additions of Cascade are a really nice blend of spicy and citrus. This is my standard approach for making APA's. Also Hallertau and Fuggle work nicely with a spicy and earthy blend. Just don't try and blend too many different flavours.

So maybe go for a 3.5%-4.0% quaffer, in an English Bitter style.

Use your pale malt and and a small amount of crystal, to give a little more complexity to the malt profile. Then either use a mix of Hallertau/Fuggle or Hallertau/Cascade (historicaly English brewers used a blend of hops from different regions, including the USA, then moved to using predominantly English hops, and now a number of breweries are again blending hops from different regions).

If using Hallertau/Fuggle I would use a darker crystal as I like the richer caramel flavour against the earthy notes of Fuggle. If using Hallertau/Cascade I would use a very light crystal to let the Cascade shine on its own a bit more.

Mash at 65C, to accommodate the low attenuating S-33.

Good luck.

Cheers
MAH

I was looking for a Summer brew. My son is graduating from High School in June. The lighter Hall/Cas sounds like a crowd pleaser and wont scare the Scandinavian relatives.

i'll save the Fuggles for something special

Cheers

Bob

I have a kilo of candi sugar in stock. Can I bottle prime with it?

I also picked some euro saaz and one of the Wyeast Belgian yeast. Not sure which one off hand.

I'm scared to just forge ahead and use this 2row malt I bought. Nobody is familiar with it.

I have a kilo of candi sugar in stock. Can I bottle prime with it?

I also picked some euro saaz and one of the Wyeast Belgian yeast. Not sure which one off hand.

I'm scared to just forge ahead and use this 2row malt I bought. Nobody is familiar with it.

Candi sugar is so fermentable (95%) you have to put very little to carb the bottles. Therefore, unless is D2 superdark, it wont make any difference to beer flavour, except for some twang perhaps. As for the malt, same thing, the difference between 2 row malts is more of nuances in the beer than straight out flavour. If you use them almost by themselves for some lawnmowing styles (cream ale, koelsh, best bitter, etc) you may note some diffs, but with spec grains, high hopping and funky yeasts, I woudlnt be able to tell the difference, for sure.

Latest posts

Back