S-189 lager yeasts at Ale temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still waiting to see if the comp Ross is "spruiking" about was the State Amateur competition??

tnd

OK, off topic now, if they do ( i thought they used one, where is Gerard when you need him) then it's the H- strain, the D- strain and something else.

From what i can tell, 2001 is the H- strain which is also used by Gambrinus in the same complex. D- is 2278.

That article was from '97, so it'd be the old one. They have another brewery over in Poland I believe but we still get the stuff from Plzen

On topic, I have tried 2x packs of S-189 in a brew at about 18-20C, I didn't really like the result. It was a basic Pilsener I was trying to do, and it wasn't quite clean enough. But I didn't lager/CC it, which probably would have made a fair difference to the result.

just on this, has anyone successfully blended these yeast on a home brew level to produce a cracker pilsner ?

might be worth a shot, say a smackpack of each ?

Wow there you go, just Rina's side thread and seems like plenty of people do it with fine results.

Just learnt something. :)

Hopper.

Necro alert.
There are a few other Swiss Lager at 19°C threads about, but chose this one to tack onto. Most though kind of fizzled out 2013/14

Is anyone still doing this? I'd like to know if its become a standard practice and what the results are.
Reason I ask is, I've been very impressed by the new(ish) range of dried yeasts available to us now. Pretty much enough that I'll go with dry for everything from now on, bar Hefe. Havent been impressed with dry wheat yeast yet, but thats getting O/T.
I used the MJ California lager at 19°C and it was a great Euro Lager knock off. MJ's promote this temp. range.
I'd like to try S-189 at ale temps. Fermentis states 9-22°C range, ideally 12-15°C.
Just thought I'd see if any brothers or sisters out there are doing this.

Yep. Done a few over the last 2 winters with S-189.
I've done 2-3 batches sequentially on the yeast cake. I've varied the main fermentation temp from 13 to 16 to 17. All came out perfectly well.
So I'd highly recommend it from my experience, though I've not really done many lagers overall.
That MJ Californian lager strain looks great, but they're pretty specific about it working at 18-22*c.
I'll likely continue to do lagers in the colder months to help with the lagering phase, if not the fermentation itself. So for me, the S-189 seems a better choice at the moment as my fermentation temp is more likely to be ~15-16*C than reliably hold 18+
If I was doing a lager in the hotter months, I' be very tempted to use the MJ Californian lager.

Nice necro.

What happened to the individual sachets of S-189 that were supposed to be coming out?

Yes and you can get a similar pack from CraftBrewer (they both buy in the 500g blocks and repack).

I thought the Saflager people were bringing out individual branded packs like their S 23 etc.

I remember reading some great arguments about this yeast in some of the older threads. Before my time Im afraid *sigh*

I really don't like S-189, I've used it so many times at 10 deg, 12 deg and 18 deg and it just comes through as bland and boring, no matter what style.

I much prefer W34/70 or WY2124 for lagers.

Forgive me if it was somewhere in the first 4 pages, but I got sick of reading about retailer/competition politics real damn quickly...

What happens if you brew a lager yeast at warmer temps?
I don't have a fermentation fridge but I like cheap tap beers like VB & wouldn't mind making something similar (i dont care, shoot me - i like cheap beer)

laxation said:
What happens if you brew a lager yeast at warmer temps?
You'll get some potentially unwanted esters but I have fermented a couple lagers at warmer temps (nothing over 18C) and they turned out nice.

laxation said:
I like cheap tap beers like VB & wouldn't mind making something similar (i dont care, shoot me - i like cheap beer)
Nothing wrong with that mate, anyone who tells you otherwise can shove it.

mtb said:
Nothing wrong with that mate, anyone who tells you otherwise can shove it.
My sister likes to rub it in my face while drinking $60 cases of beer paid for with disability ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What would happen if you brewed at 20-24 degrees with a lager yeast?
Or similarly an ale yeast at cold, sub-20 temps?

I haven't brewed in my house during winter so really not sure at all what temperature I will be getting...

Oh and just googled Ester, is that a fruity flavour?

Sub-20 for an ale yeast is what you should be aiming for (18C or thereabouts). Dependent on the yeast strain though.

Can't speak for what will happen if fermenting a lager around the 20-24C mark but I'd say you would get strong esters. Your googling is correct, esters are fruity, but in my experience not pleasantly fruity. More like cheap white wine. YMMV though.

Your best course re your sister is to one-up her with some brilliant home brews. If I manage to produce a cracker of an ale, my commercial craft beer-swilling friends often tell me they couldn't enjoy a bottle of commercial after having one of mine because it tastes like crap in comparison :ph34r:

Cool thanks for that.

mtb said:
Your best course re your sister is to one-up her with some brilliant home brews. If I manage to produce a cracker of an ale, my commercial craft beer-swilling friends often tell me they couldn't enjoy a bottle of commercial after having one of mine because it tastes like crap in comparison :ph34r:
Eh, I'll just sit quietly and let her drink what she wants...

Back