S-189 finally being rolled out in 11.5g packs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, S-189 has acquired a bit of a following as you can do a pretty acceptable lager style beer using it at ale temperatures, so it's a good option for home brewers who don't have the fridge space for traditionally brewed lagers.
I've tasted lagers from a commercial micro using the yeast at 19 degrees and whilst they were clean and drinkable they didn't shout "Bavaria" nose, complexity and flavour.

Personally I'd run it through at sub 10 degrees as I now have the luxury of a dedicated lager fridge and modified cornies for lagering - keen to pick up a few packets when I can get hold of them.

Got my hands on a couple packs last weekend. Rehydrated and pitched at about 15C. Was bubbling out my blow off within 7-8 hrs. Dropped it to 13C to aim for that crisp profile. Excited to taste the results will be checking this every 3 days with a gravity and taste sample as I want to get my head around the 'true' ferment time of lagers. Previously I've been leaving for 4 weeks regardless of where the Gravity was at. Plus my D rests always seem to be too close to FG if not when at FG, so want to aim while the yeast is still active for maximum effect.

Bribie G said:
Doc, S-189 has acquired a bit of a following as you can do a pretty acceptable lager style beer using it at ale temperatures, so it's a good option for home brewers who don't have the fridge space for traditionally brewed lagers.
I've tasted lagers from a commercial micro using the yeast at 19 degrees and whilst they were clean and drinkable they didn't shout "Bavaria" nose, complexity and flavour.

Personally I'd run it through at sub 10 degrees as I now have the luxury of a dedicated lager fridge and modified cornies for lagering - keen to pick up a few packets when I can get hold of them.

Bribie, 12c is the idea temp for this yeast, if you drop below 9c it's likely to stall.

Back