S-189 finally being rolled out in 11.5g packs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

0 Warning Points
Reaction score
Been waiting for this for a long time.

Lets see how long it takes for retailers in our nether region to stock up...

fermentis-saflager-s-189-115-g.jpg

Hellalujah!!

I've been really happy with how my first 2 lagers turned out using a loose bag of dry S-189, fermented at ~16°C.
I'll be definitely doing another next winter. And once you've done 1, well, it'd be silly to waste that lovely yeast cake sitting at the bottom...
It'll be great to have some nice, sealed sachets to keep in the fridge until i get a chance to start up the Lager Train.
In fact, i'd be tempted to swap a few APA & IPA recipes over to S-189.

Edit: i notice the fermentation range is the same, but the ideal range is now much higher: 15-20°C. Very interesting.

technobabble66 said:
Edit: i notice the fermentation range is the same, but the ideal range is now much higher: 15-20°C. Very interesting.

Not just that. Notice the manufacturer's advised pitching method....;)

GalBrew said:
Now go and read the real instructions off the s-189 spec sheet on the fermentis website.
Ah no sense of humour :(

:D

Goose said:
Not just that. Notice the manufacturer's advised pitching method.... ;)
I noted that the latest (that I took notice of) US-05 has "Sprinkle onto wort" on the package itself...

enter stu...

Actually, it says (s-189): "Sprinkle *into* wort."

Now that throws a spanner into the theories! Rehydrate, sprinkle onto wort, or sprinkle into wort.

Now what?!?? Oh the humanity!

How does one sprinkle into wort? Quick, we need 50 pages on this, stat!

Whatever it is, it must be important - the manufacturer wouldn't have put it on the label otherwise...

Wow, I feel sorry for all those people who have foolishly been merely sprinkling *onto* the wort.

I notice they don't mention stirring.

And what if your wort is covered with a layer of tight foam, as it often is following a cube being poured into the fermentor from a height to oxygenate the wort.

The instructions don't seem to cover sprinkling onto foam.

Maybe you could part the foam with a sterile spoon and sprinkle onto the wort, then stir into the wort?

Another way, I guess, would be to rehydrate the yeast in some warm water. That would definitely get into the wort.

Has anyone ever tried that method?

Bribie G said:
I notice they don't mention stirring.

And what if your wort is covered with a layer of tight foam, as it often is following a cube being poured into the fermentor from a height to oxygenate the wort.

The instructions don't seem to cover sprinkling onto foam.
In this case you must sprinkle untowort.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

the sprinkled yeast does a good job of popping foam bubbles. Then you could sprinkle onto wort.

In all seriousness, why the hell does the packet say *ideally* 15-20*c and then the spec sheet/pdf say ideally 12-15*c.
WTF?!

Surely someone would've checked these before printing, etc!

Goose said:
seems a bit long ?. It seems already available in European homebrew shops unless you refer to lead time to get it ordered and shipped from Fermentis...

https://homebrewshop.be/en/yeast-fermentis/927-fermentis-saflager-s-189-115-g.html?search_query=s-189&results=3
Keg King seems to have it already according to their website

http://kegking.com.au/yeast/fermentis/saflager-s-189-15g.html

that being said, last time I got Fermentis yeast from KK it was repackaged, presumably from a 500g brick

though this looks like repackaged product from break bulking the 500 g bricks rather than the Fermentis packed 11.5g product. Craftbrewer does the same thing.

Goose said:
though this looks like repackaged product from break bulking the 500 g bricks rather than the Fermentis packed 11.5g product. Craftbrewer does the same thing.
Yeah, I never understand the logic behind the two totally different instructions (pack & spec sheet) that you get with Fermentis yeast (I know which one I ignore). :unsure:

Yob said:
this one time at bandcamp.. Stu did..
Jeezuz Yob.. fa christ sake, come up with something better than that...your sounding like Dicko & WEAL...

Back