Ryefield Hops Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

contrarian

Reaction score
Our local hop grower has got a good crop this year after having their crop completely wiped out by the dry conditions and fires last year. The current sheet if for interest and I will need to get this back to them by the end of the week, we may not get everything we ask for. As a result I will round any incomplete orders up to the nearest kg. Minimum order is 250g, 1 kg lots. This is a great opportunity to support a local producer in the infancy of their development so get around it.

Link is here IBU BB 2021 Ryefield Hops 1

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I’m guessing fresh are whole and frozen are pellets? What’s dried ? Is this yet another new fad I’ve missed?!

or are fresh hops wet whole hops and dried are whole dried hops?

dblunn

Reaction score
I think fresh are "wet" hops, Frozen are wet hops that have been frozen (ie cheaters' wet hops) and dried are the normal leaf hops. I don't think they do pellets, but if anyone knows otherwise then please correct me.

contrarian

Reaction score
Dave is spot on here. They don't do any pellets at the moment so all of these are hop flowers.

S.E

Reaction score
Has there been any thought or planning on how fresh and frozen hops are going to be stored or split and distributed quickly enough?

If fresh they will need to be split immediately on receiving then collected same day and either used, frozen or dried straight away as they deteriorate pretty fast. If frozen they will need to be split which will be a bit of a challenge, then kept frozen till they can be collected or delivered.

///

Reaction score
Yes the wet hops can go feral pretty quickly ...

S.E

Reaction score
Might be best to go with dried flowers only? I can see wet and frozen being problematic and a huge disappointing unless they can be split and distributed immediately?

contrarian

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that I use for fermenting that I can store frozen in for people if they want to go that way but I also think the dried flowers are better value given you are likely to lose more than 50% of the total weight in water yet you are only paying an extra $20/kg!

contrarian

Reaction score
I have sent an order through today where I rounded up everything on the sheet so far. Feel free to keep adding but be aware that what we have requested and what is actually available will probably be different and we won't know until they harvest.

Once we know what we have been allocated we can work out the details from there.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Added some. Happy to drive down and collect these when ready if easier than organising freight.

contrarian

Reaction score
Added some. Happy to drive down and collect these when ready if easier than organising freight.

do you have sufficient cold storage space for that? Appreciate the offer mate, it could be very helpful!

S.E

Reaction score
Yep, got an empty freezer doing nothing.
What about the fresh hop though? They will need to distributed same or at least next day wont they?

I’m not 100% sure but I suspect that if the fresh hops are stored in a freezer they could become frozen hops too?

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
now Sean I am guessing we will know more when the supplier says its time to collect. Do not panic grasshopper ..

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
You hop growers .. how long after picking do"fresh hops" need to be used.?

S.E

Reaction score
Padawan Ian, fresh hops are like real ale. They are best used as soon as they are picked, after that they deteriorate over a few days like a tapped cask of ale. Drying hops, keeping them cold and reducing oxygen contact gives them a longer shelf life in a similar way to kegged beer over cask.

Last edited:

S.E

Reaction score
Picked most of my hops over the weekend. Having trouble fitting them all in the dehydrator so will have to leave some till tomorrow.
20210220_140543.jpg 20210221_103221.jpg

///

Reaction score
Yep loose em or loose em. They go mouldy quick. And they take up a heap of room!

S.E

Reaction score
Yep loose em or loose em. They go mouldy quick. And they take up a heap of room!
Is that use them or lose them Scotty? And yep, they do take up a surprising amount of room.

As Mick mentioned above wet hops are only equivalent to less than 50% and can be as low as 25% alpha acids by weigh of dry hops.

You really want to receive them and brew same day or at least next to make the effort and expense worthwhile.

contrarian

Reaction score
Due to having to guess the order there are some extra hops available. If you are interested just add your name to the spreadsheet and transfer hops from the extra column to your column to ensure the spread sheet calculates properly.

Latest posts