Rye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I was wondering yesterday about using rye crispbread as an adjunct, but I'm worried about the salt quantity.

Ryvitas are 98% rye flour, with 400mg/100g salt. Rye Kavlis are 60% rye flour, 20% rye bran and 16% flaked rye, with 350mg/100g salt.

My question is, is that too much salt if I'm using the biscuits as, say, 5% of the grist? That's 250g of biscuits, or 1g/0.875g salt in a 20-22 litre batch. What about 10% of the grist?

And if I can get away with that salt quantity, would I be better off not using adelaide water?

I would have thought that cause the rye has been baked with other ingrediants, you would not extract much out of them...

I don't see why that would be the case, these things are just rye and salt.

I add 5 gms of table salt to every brew - so at the rate you're talking it won't be an issue...

Or, you could call in to Grumpys on your way home from work (as you sometimes do :D ) and get rye grain there :)
Crystal rye included, IIRC

Hi ray,

That did occur to me, but I was thinking biscuits because it's more convenient and, well, fun. But, the better does her shopping in the markets so I'll make her get me some flaked rye next time she's in, I reckon.

wee stu said:
Or, you could call in to Grumpys on your way home from work (as you sometimes do :D ) and get rye grain there :)
[post="65848"][/post]​

True, stu, I have been known to pop in there on occasion. I thought they only had crystal rye, though? Didn't know they had rye malt.

Kai said:
wee stu said:
[post="65848"][/post]​

True, stu, I have been known to pop in there on occasion. I thought they only had crystal rye, though? Didn't know they had rye malt.
[post="65888"][/post]​

If they don't, Dave used to have some at Goliath.

I have some malted rye I can let you have - I have about 2kg, you can grab some when you come and pick up the stubbies I am holding for you.

Latest posts

Back