Rye Malts - Who's Playing With Them Lately?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fungrel said:
Happy to share my entry for the Nationals. Beerxml file attached.
attachicon.gif
AmericanRyeNationals.xml

Title: American Rye (Nationals)

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 25.3 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 62% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.7%
IBU (tinseth): 20.51
SRM (morey): 8.97

FERMENTABLES:
2 kg - American - Pale Ale (37.5%)
2 kg - American - Wheat (37.5%)
750 g - American - Rye (14.1%)
200 g - Rice Hulls (3.8%)
175 g - German - CaraAmber (3.3%)
175 g - Rye Caramel Malt - (Weyermann) (3.3%)
30 g - Chocolate Rye (0.6%)

HOPS:
14 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Aroma for 15 min, IBU: 7.87
8 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.82
12 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.82

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 45 C, Time: 10 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min
3) Sparge, Temp: 76 C, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.7 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc , Type: Fining, Use: Boil
0.5 tsp - Yeast nutrient , Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
0.4 ml - ALDC, Type: Other, Use: Primary
1 ml - Aroma Shot, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 15.56 - 22.22 C
Fermentation Temp: 19 C
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: Kegging
CO2 Level: 2.8 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Ca2: 50
Mg2: 7
Na: 50
Cl: 90
SO4: 2
HCO3: 73
Water Notes:
Water built from RO.

All sorts of mishaps happened with this beer, not sure if i could reproduce it if i tried. But the recipe held up to be one of my favourites.

Note that it was designed to be "sweeter and more hoppy" as specified in the AABC guidelines as being acceptable for the style.

I didn't dry hop, but you could always do as you like.
Looks interesting.

Edit: remove stupid question

Edit: Also interesting to note that under BJCP 2015 American Rye has been separated from American Wheat and has been put in the Specialty: Alternate Fermentables category.

earle said:
Looks interesting.

Edit: remove stupid question

Edit: Also interesting to note that under BJCP 2015 American Rye has been separated from American Wheat and has been put in the Specialty: Alternate Fermentables category.
Yeah, not sure if AABC will ever split them. From memory there weren't that many entries in the NSW round.

Gigantorus said:
Thanks for the recipe, Reman.

Re the Acid Malt. I've got 500grams of Abby Malt (got it by mistake) and have never used it. Your advice on how best to use it would be appreciated thanks?

Cheers,
Pete
Haven't used it myself, but I'm guessing it's similar to biscuit. You could probably just chuck it in the bock and back off the Carafa and Munich a little to compensate.

Let us know how it goes!

Gigantorus said:
Hi All,

Have been really getting into a couple of different rye malts in he past few months. Mainly in concentrate and extract recipes.

I have used both Caramel Rye and Chocolate Rye. Have used a bit of Caramel Rye in pale ales and Imperial IPAs. But have particularly enjoyed using choc rye in an American Brown Ale (recipe attached). It adds such a nice dry bite to the malty dark flavours. Yes, it's not a typical style or a style in BJCP - but rye in an American Brown Ale is an amazing treat.

Anyone else been using rye malts in other types of recipes? If so, tell me how you have been using them? I'm always looking for something new to try them in.

Cheers,

Pete
Had a couple of bottles of this on the weekend. It has become quite a tasty brew. It just needed time to develop.

Brewed a roggenbier with 65% Rye on the weekend and 500g rice hulls. 1.5 hour sparge and had to disturb the grainbed a couple of times but got there in the end.
It is like motor oil that stuff. Fermenting on 3068 now and tastes like a winner.

Yeah just did a Roggenbier with around 50% Rye, thank god for BIAB otherwise it'd definitely be a slow process. It is super oily which is very interesting. Can't wait to see how this one turns out once its done fermenting with WLP300.

Anyone tried the Cara Rye?
It is a Rye Crystal Malt. It is something very different and has a great sweet spice about it. It is something that is just that little bit different.

It is a Rye Crystal Malt. It is something very different and has a great sweet spice about it. It is something that is just that little bit different.

I first used it in a LCIPA clone, but the amount was not enough to notice it to my palette... In a rye IPA though- delicious.

That sounds nice, at this stage I doubt I even really know what Rye tastes like in beer.
Is the rye a dark crystal malt?

That sounds nice, at this stage I doubt I even really know what Rye tastes like in beer.
Rye Malt is quite light in colour, typically 4 to 6 EBC.

The Cara Rye, is a crystal malt, EBC of what I have at the moment is 170, so think like Dark crystal, but made from a Rye grain rather than Barley. The same products are available from a wheat base - Cara Wheat.

They both add great colour and a unique sweetness to a beer.

If you do use Rye, pay attention to the cracking. The grain is much smaller than that of Barley, so best to crack it separate to the rest of the grain, and adjust the rollers in quite a bit. I always crack the Rye in a separate run through my mill, otherwise there won't be much Rye character in the finished beer. The same goes for Oat and Wheat malts.

I'd say give them a go, or try commercial example and see what you think.

Cheers Steve

cara rye is used in adnams ghost ship. I've had good success to making the clone for it with it.

Rye Malt is quite light in colour, typically 4 to 6 EBC.

The Cara Rye, is a crystal malt, EBC of what I have at the moment is 170, so think like Dark crystal, but made from a Rye grain rather than Barley. The same products are available from a wheat base - Cara Wheat.

They both add great colour and a unique sweetness to a beer.

If you do use Rye, pay attention to the cracking. The grain is much smaller than that of Barley, so best to crack it separate to the rest of the grain, and adjust the rollers in quite a bit. I always crack the Rye in a separate run through my mill, otherwise there won't be much Rye character in the finished beer. The same goes for Oat and Wheat malts.

I'd say give them a go, or try commercial example and see what you think.

Cheers Steve
Yeah just did a batch yesterday, went fine on the crack and got good efficiency. Just need to wait for it to be ready to taste now.

Yeah just did a batch yesterday, went fine on the crack and got good efficiency. Just need to wait for it to be ready to taste now.
I think it is a love or hate thing.

I love the Cara Rye.

I'll watch this thread to see how it goes

Use enough and it tastes like engine oil - well I guess I'm one of those who hate Rye...
Mark

At home with a stonking cold so decided to use my time to plan my future brews. Havent gotten into rye yet but have some sitting in my grain store. Was thinking as a first go at brewing a rye lager but not sure what amount to use to not totally unbalance the beer. My fisrt thoughts are 85% pilsner 10% rye and 5% light munich hopped with hallertau mitt to around 35ibu. Will 10% give noticable rye flavour or just add to the body?

Use enough and it tastes like engine oil - well I guess I'm one of those who hate Rye...
Mark
Guess I'll see if I like it or not, I used around 50%....

Guess I'll see if I like it or not, I used around 50%....
Be prepared to age it . In my experience a few years ago we did a 50 -60 % rye and it was almost throw away . We kegged it just the same and it sat for at least 4-6 mths . It turned out to be a cracker of a beer . So let it age . In my opinion .

Last edited:
Hi All,

Have been really getting into a couple of different rye malts in he past few months. Mainly in concentrate and extract recipes.

I have used both Caramel Rye and Chocolate Rye. Have used a bit of Caramel Rye in pale ales and Imperial IPAs. But have particularly enjoyed using choc rye in an American Brown Ale (recipe attached). It adds such a nice dry bite to the malty dark flavours. Yes, it's not a typical style or a style in BJCP - but rye in an American Brown Ale is an amazing treat.

Anyone else been using rye malts in other types of recipes? If so, tell me how you have been using them? I'm always looking for something new to try them in.

Cheers,

Pete

looks interesting mate. I might want to check this one out... rye malts sure looks interesting.

I love the rye, but have learnt to use it in small amounts. Just poured this one - basic apa with 4% caraRye added for colour & a touch of bite, dry hopped with citra . 6 weeks old & mellowing nicely
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498209793.598116.jpg

Had a sample of my 50% rye beer, and really the best description is "the bite", that I can come up with this at this time. Where its almost a bitterness to it, where its more like a bitter tea or coffee with that bitterness. But yes sharpness as Alchomist has.

Back