Rye Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking about brewing a really malty dark rye lager for something different. It's somewhat inspired by the "Thicker than water" red rye ale that was on tap at newstead brewery a while ago. It's a lot of caramel malts but I think that's what I'm going for.

3.5kg Munich II
1kg malted Rye
0.5kg carmunich II
0.5kg melanoiden

90 grams Saaz to 35 IBU

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager.

Thoughts?

More Rye. With Munich II and rye you're close to the malt bill for a Roggenbier. I've used 2kg Munich II, 2kg Rye and 1.5kg Pale ale in a roggenbier with good effect. Similar malt bill but with Smoked malt instead of the Munich II for a smoked american rye ale. Particularly with that much crystal I reckon you'll need more rye for it to come through.

earle said:
More Rye. With Munich II and rye you're close to the malt bill for a Roggenbier. I've used 2kg Munich II, 2kg Rye and 1.5kg Pale ale in a roggenbier with good effect. Similar malt bill but with Smoked malt instead of the Munich II for a smoked american rye ale. Particularly with that much crystal I reckon you'll need more rye for it to come through.
But I'm a little scared I'll be sparging for eternity if I go more than 18% Rye!!

True, I BIAB so just a bit more squeezing required. Perhaps rice hulls are your friend?

I've been fly sparging a 30% rye session IPA with no problems

Back