Rusty keg lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
I decided to clean out an old racetrack keg thats been lying around for a while. Perc and a bit of costic. I got a bit (very) slack and left it soaking for 2 or 3 weeks. The inside of the lod rusted. I can get rid of the rust but im guessimg i should use this keg for beer again?
20171203_132656.jpg

I'd get a new lid. I'm no chem expert so adhere to (avoid mixing chems). Should you mix sod perc with costic?

On the kegking site it says caustic and perc make an effective cleaner. Ive
20171203_140923.jpg
used it a fair few times without trouble. Can you even get new racetrack lids?

Strangely the 2nd lid had this rust mark on it. This is after some oxalic acid and a scrub.

Im wondering if the lids where upside down and the perc created an o2 pocket? I dont know how that would rust it but it might explain the weird mark on this lid.

If it's stainless, once you clean the rust off the surface, the protective chromium oxide layer should reform and be good as new.

So, you just had a small pool of caustic/perc sitting inside the keg lid? With it open to the enviroment? Is it possible that something fell in died?

Just re-read your last post, sounds like my theory is a bust... no idea, apart from the possibilty of that bit of metal not being stainless....

Latest posts

Back