Russian Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Hey guys
Gonna put down a russian imperial stout next weekend onto the secondary yeastcake from my porter in there now (1084). I looked at a few recipes in beertools.com, and came up with something I think will be OK, and just wanted some input from anyway that may be able to tell me if this is in the right vein or not.

7.4kg Marris Otter
250g Chocolate 900
500g Black Patent
500g Caramel 245
500g Flaked oats

Mash at about 68C

FWH 30g EKG
45g Target (60 mins)
30g EKG (15 mins)
15g EKG (2 mins)

Aiming for OG of about 1.093, FG of about 1.026. I am also gonna leave it in secondary for 4-6 weeks before bottling.
Any thoughts? All advice will be appreciated
Trent

I don't often say this, but you might consider getting 8-10 points from sugar, just to lower the FG. Again, a good amount of amber malt will help this beer.

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM
I was really gonna try and go for the full effect of it, I havent ever tried one, and wanted to make it super full bodied and thick. I wonder in Candi Sugar would be the way to go, or is that only suitable in a belgian? I never use sugar in my brews either, but maybe I should look at trying that for a big beer.
All the best
Trent

hahaha, learn by doing. . .cool!

Make it your way, try my way next. OG 1090, gonna be a thick beer anyway

JM

Trent,
The best way to get such a big beer to "finish" is to pitch it onto a yeast cake from a previous beer.
Just make sure you chill the wort to correct pitching temps before adding it to the yeast.
I would only add sugar if you don't get your anticipated original gravity.
cheers
darren

Trent

You could add some Dark Brown Sugar 150gms.

All malt beers are all malt beers. Why add sugar if you don't need to?

Thanks guys
I will see how I go with this one first up before I add sugar. Maybe JM will be right and I should add sugar, but I will just see how it turns out. Darren, I will be pitching it onto the secondary cake of a porter I have going now, so hopefully it will ferment out properly.
All the best
Trent

Trent said:
Thanks guys
I will see how I go with this one first up before I add sugar. Maybe JM will be right and I should add sugar, but I will just see how it turns out. Darren, I will be pitching it onto the secondary cake of a porter I have going now, so hopefully it will ferment out properly.
All the best
Trent
[post="62417"][/post]​

Trent,
What was the OG of the porter? If it was above 1.050 the yeast probably arn't as healthy as they could be.
I would advise adding some lower gravity wort to them and shaking the proverbial out it to get some healthy yeast going before you hit it with the RIP.
Edit- Should be RIS!
cheers
darren

Back