Rum-weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj0081

Reaction score
Met a mate for a couple of Stone and Woods on tap at The Villager last night in Brisbane. Asked for a Stone and Wood and the waitress asked which one? Turns out they have their ale on top, as well as the new Mash Collective, rum-weizen. Dark wheat beer with a splash of rum. Nice beer, not to my liking and probably a little sweet. It was interesting though. Apparently you can get a case delivered direct for $99. Anyone else tried it?

Yeah I tried it at Archive on the weekend, I loved it (I am a huge fan of dark wheat beers though)
Didn't get much of the rum flavour maybe just a hint, I thought it was aged in rum oak barrels not actual rum into the beer ?

Archive have a boilermaker on offer with this beer which was a shot of some really nice rum (can't remember the name) and that was beautiful.

Worth a try imo, I would buy it again !

Tried it on tap at the Albion in Newcastle.

Wasn't bad, but sort of missed the mark as a dunkelweizen I felt and wasn't particularly "rummy", fair bit of molasses character. More like a Belgian Dubbel than anything...

Pretty much second Mugguss comments, I was expecting more from guys that we know can brew very well.
The molasses taste dominated for me, I know some rum is made from molasses but adding one isnt the same as adding the other.
Mark

I'll add my voice to that opinion. I tried it at GABS and just felt it didn't have good characteristics of either the base beer nor the specialty aspect.

Got one in the fridge,not looking as forward to it as i was!!!!! :D
let you know!

Latest posts

Back