Rubbermaid 37.5 Lt Mash Tun Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psytramp

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to highlight my new mash tun build for you guys to get some ideas for your build. This is being used on a single tiered brewery and I have found I have had great success from using these rubbermaids in the past:

Image #1- Completed Mash Tun

IMG_20120718_194953.jpg

As you can see, I have a weldless ball vale installed for the outlet which is connected internally to a false bottom, and I have also installed a HLT inlet above it for ease of steeping the grain without worrying about the HLT water.

Image #2- Ball valve close up

IMG_20120718_194711.jpg

Image #3- HLT inlet close up

IMG_20120718_194703.jpg

All fittings are weldless.

Image #4- HLT inlet internal close up

IMG_20120718_194829.jpg

The reason for the inlet design, is so I can maximise the amount of grain I can steep. The inlet fits perfectly under the lid allowing me to use the full 37 litres.

Image #5- Thermowell installation

IMG_20120718_194752.jpg

Image #6- Thermowell closeup

IMG_20120718_194742.jpg

This allows me to use my Mash Tun probe for my digital thermometer

Image #7- Internal image

IMG_20120718_194847.jpg

You can see the HLT inlet, 30cm false bottom and thermowell.

Image #8- Completed Mash Tun

IMG_20120718_194651.jpg

All drilled holes were finished with silicon to allow the insulation to not get wet when washing the tun. I am working on a sparge arm build for the HLT inlet as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, to see my full brewery build, visit and 'like' my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/TheHomeBrewersSociety

Ask any questions you have.

Cheers!!

Attachments

• IMG_20120718_194847.jpg
    IMG_20120718_194847.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20120718_194651.jpg
    IMG_20120718_194651.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 114
Are you planning on attaching a HERMS or RIMS to this psytramp? I use one of these and eventually want to convert, but I also have a spare 50 litre keg from stepping my kettle up to a larger pot. Haven't decided whether to use the keg or the cooler...

What silicon did you use? I've drilled a hole in my Rubbermaid cooler and am having trouble finding a suitable waterproof/heat proof/ food safe silicon to seal.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to highlight my new mash tun build for you guys to get some ideas for your build. This is being used on a single tiered brewery and I have found I have had great success from using these rubbermaids in the past:

Image #1- Completed Mash Tun

View attachment 55884

As you can see, I have a weldless ball vale installed for the outlet which is connected internally to a false bottom, and I have also installed a HLT inlet above it for ease of steeping the grain without worrying about the HLT water.

Image #2- Ball valve close up

View attachment 55885

Image #3- HLT inlet close up

View attachment 55886

All fittings are weldless.

Image #4- HLT inlet internal close up

View attachment 55898

The reason for the inlet design, is so I can maximise the amount of grain I can steep. The inlet fits perfectly under the lid allowing me to use the full 37 litres.

Image #5- Thermowell installation

View attachment 55899

Image #6- Thermowell closeup

View attachment 55900

This allows me to use my Mash Tun probe for my digital thermometer

Image #7- Internal image

View attachment 55904

You can see the HLT inlet, 30cm false bottom and thermowell.

Image #8- Completed Mash Tun

View attachment 55903

All drilled holes were finished with silicon to allow the insulation to not get wet when washing the tun. I am working on a sparge arm build for the HLT inlet as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, to see my full brewery build, visit and 'like' my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/TheHomeBrewersSociety

Ask any questions you have.

Cheers!!

What silicon did you use? I've drilled a hole in my Rubbermaid cooler and am having trouble finding a suitable waterproof/heat proof/ food safe silicon to seal.

good question, use a glass silicon. Make sure it is the aquarium safe silicon which is safe for fish and animals. I have used this before and takes the temp no problem and is food safe once cured.

cheers!!

Are you planning on attaching a HERMS or RIMS to this psytramp? I use one of these and eventually want to convert, but I also have a spare 50 litre keg from stepping my kettle up to a larger pot. Haven't decided whether to use the keg or the cooler...

I'm not convinced about RIMS at this stage, you can scorch if you don't have the right flow, will be going more for hermes setup later. I'm going to stick to single infusion at this stage as I continue to build the brewery, but if I do go hermes, I will have a smaller vessel below the brewery to regulate temps.

I'm just taking my time with which way i want to go, I have made great beer using single infusion techniques with no step mashes. I will start to much around once i get bored...

Cheers!!

Tested it tonight for leaks, all good!!

Ready to go this weekend...

Excuse me if I'm being stupid, but where is the best place to shop for a round 10gal Rubbermaid cooler in Australia? (I'm a recent arrival from South Africa)

The best I've managed to find is to buy through Amazon, where the current price is about $68 per cooler, with another $68 for shipping from the US.

Excuse me if I'm being stupid, but where is the best place to shop for a round 10gal Rubbermaid cooler in Australia? (I'm a recent arrival from South Africa)

The best I've managed to find is to buy through Amazon, where the current price is about $68 per cooler, with another $68 for shipping from the US.

Try BCF they have a similar round cooler

Latest posts

Back