RSA guidelines.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrTbeer

Reaction score
Has anyone done the Responsible Service of Alcohol online course?
I haven't but I want to know if it's legal to sell full strength beer at an outdoor event. I know over the last 5years it has been increasingly difficult and certainly at Stadiums impossible for even longer. But is it law or is it just a RSA recommendation for the Qld nanny state?
I've put up with this nonsense at Lang Park and Gabba etc. but not at Wembley or Madison Square Garden.
Now at festivals I'm standing in the midday sun drinking low carb, low flavour, low alcohol, high priced beer. Not my choice, trust me, the alternative is to pay even more and drink low alcohol, high sugar, high caffeine, pre-mixed spirits.
People don't get drunk, so that's responsible, many get high on drugs instead!

This mid strength RULE doesn't promote much variety in brewing, no ales only lagers, no darks only lagers, no malty beer only low carb, no local beers, no Qld beers, no craft beers, no imported beers. The list goes on.

I'd really be surprised if it was an RSA thing........Just more of a choice of the organisers of the festivals. There'd be a whole heap of approvals they'd need to acquire from local government to get permission from host the event. I'm sure one thing that looks good on your application is "Hey, we're only serving mid strength drinks so we're gonna cut down on the drunk wanker factor." Even if that doesn't work, 'cause I reckon the Jubilee does its best trade on the mornings of big events at the RNA.
Mid strength issues aside, there's also packaging issues to consider.......You could hand out stubbies, but many potential **** ups from punters there.....plus the hassle of cleaning up broken glass. You could pour into plastic cups but there's more time spent in serving the booze so cans are the go, and that limits what you can stock.
I remember a time when a 15 year old could be served at the bar of super awesome local radio station organised festivals, but those days are gone. I nurse my can of Carton Mid if I really have to go to one of these things and deal with it.

You can buy wine at Lang park if you are desperate to get pissed.

So it's more a matter of presenting a proposal rather than following a rule book?
I'm all for cans over glass but some variety in those cans wouldn't hurt.

Last time at Boondall they poured from plastic stubbies into plastic cups in the forecourt and then told you it couldn't be taken inside. Only fried food served outside. In a venue that has a function room, bars and commercial kitchens?

Yeah I used to volunteer at bar at those 4zzz festivals when I was ~18.
I remember 4zzz market day that got shut down by police in a rain storm, the effects of too much alcohol aren't pretty. Its probably the over used portaloos that see the main effects of mid strength alcohol these days.

That was actually one market day I missed....my friends back in QLD still fondly remember that day. IIRC the reason there's no market days anymore is because the cost of hosting an event like that has become pointless for something that's essentially a fund raiser. The drunk wanker factor has a part to play in that.
Good times though......powderfinger is on stage at one in the arvo.....dreamkillers headline. Good acid, good times.

Edit
***my point being with powderfinger being they're on the early "no one cares" time slot rather than taking up the slot of a good band .

It wasn't terribly violent at least not what I saw, most of the arrests were for public urination against trees and fences. The police moved in in big numbers and on horses and with shields just as the main stage amps got wet. Sound died, thunder, lightning rain and cops everywhere. Was still a good day of music and acid though.

Its happening everywhere,to get a job in licenced venue or where alcohol is served to the public it's a requirement..the course cost depend's on where you live.some states you can get online..average time for course is about 4-6 hrs..and the course is not about the type of grog but who and how you serve it too

84274w.gif

Last time at the cricket at the gabba you could buy as many beers as you wanted in the morning but during the afternoon session you could only order 1 beer at a time. The beer chick suggested i just order and pay for my 4 beers separately. Took me an extra minute but i still walked away with the 4 beers. And yeah it was xxxx gold at something like 8 bucks a cup.

That'd be SA sound wave though P&C. Seems to vary from state to state, according to mates who work these things. I'd like to think SA punters can get a can of that "dr tims" which I'm led to believe is coopers pale in a can if one were to attend one of these things down (wait, I'm in tassie now), up there.

6THE EVENT MANAGEMENT PLAN
Management of alcohol

It is necessary to consider what types of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks will be available including low, mid and full
strength beer, wine, spirits, juice, soft drinks and water. Consideration should also be given to pricing structures as
these may influence the type and quality of alcohol consumed. Discounting alcoholic drinks and ‘all inclusive’ event tickets
may encourage intoxication and subsequently cause many other problems. This is not recommended.
Pre-purchased alcohol tickets are also not recommended as many problems can result from this practice.
A complete beverage and food list including prices must be displayed at each service point.
From here

And this is the important bit, from here

Harm minimisation

The licensee, permittee and approved managers must ensure that liquor for sale at the premises is restricted to the following products:
liquor other than wine (including medium and low strength beer, cider and pre-mixed spirits) where the alcohol content by volume is 4 percent or less
and
wine with a maximum single serve of 100ml in a glass or plastic receptacle or 200ml in a piccolo.
Disposable drink containers only are to be used in any public area of the permitted premises.
No glass is permitted in any public area of the licensed premises. Exemptions may be considered where a fine dining area or corporate facilities are offered within the event area.
The licensee, permittee and approved manager must ensure tap or drinking water is readily available and provided at no cost to patrons within the permitted area. The availability of such water is to be promoted.
The restriction on the sale and supply of liquor to a certain number of drinks per person will be assessed on each individual application. In proposing such a condition, a graduated reduction in the number of drinks supplied to a person may be endorsed. For example:
The licensee, permittee and approved manager must ensure the sale and supply of liquor is restricted to four alcoholic beverages only per person between the trading hours of .
The licensee, permittee and approved manager must ensure the sale and supply of liquor is restricted to two alcoholic beverages only per person from to cessation of trade.
The licensee, permittee and approved manager must ensure 100 percent of staff involved in the sale or supply of liquor have a current RSA training course certificate.
Exciting stuff to read.

So there we have it. We can blame it on the Beattie/Bligh jack booted bureaucratic nanny state/fun police clamping down on everyones right to have a good time. I'm sure Can Do Campbells jack booted bureaucratic nanny state/fun police will repeal these acts.

jlm said:
So there we have it. We can blame it on the Beattie/Bligh jack booted bureaucratic nanny state/fun police clamping down on everyones right to have a good time. I'm sure Can Do Campbells jack booted bureaucratic nanny state/fun police will repeal these acts.
Hahahaha! Out of the frying pan & into the fire!

:icon_offtopic: It's too far back to recall the shithouse price of beer at Lang Park in 1988 but I do remember those atrocious frozen Four & Twenty horsemeat pies that were sold at a ridiculous price at the time as was the beer (In cans & XXXX only thank goodness).
What I DO remember with absolute clarity is sitting in the bleachers with my youngest watching that ******* Stone sending Wally off for 10 & us getting a beer shower from the swillers above.
No worries at all as we both laughed & anyway it's seven in a row & counting ATM which is as it should be all things considered. :lol:
This Vienna lager is tasting Soooo good ATM. :)

As pointed out it is a liquor licensing thing. Like most regulation, it is a direct feedback to a problem, caused as always by a minority.

Low alcohol drinks at outdoor events isn't new, i'm pretty sure (in Brisbane at least) it has been in place for years.

At Soundwave in Brisbane I noticed young bucks with hip flasks gaffa taped to their backs :lol:

There's no restrictions on the bars in parliament, indeed there's no excise or any other tax on booze sold in parliament

Countrylink XPT train from Sydney to Brisbane departing in the afternoon is great.

Sink 8 schooners at the Central Station Bar

After Hornsby the bar on the train opens

You can buy 2 serves per hour which is either a 250ml plastic bottle of wine or a Hahn Special Light. No contest.

In between drinks go to the loo and swig out of your flask of vodka.

Wake up at Beaudesert in the dawn and wonder why you were ever born.

:beerbang:

labels said:
There's no restrictions on the bars in parliament, indeed there's no excise or any other tax on booze sold in parliament
Again :icon_offtopic: & with apologies to the OP.

That can't be right labels? I'm having a hard time believing your post. -_-
Surely we can trust our own representatives to do the right thing? They are Australians just like us after all?
If you can't trust your local member then just who can you trust to get things right when things go arse up? :unsure:

Ps --- Just saw your post Bribie & you haven't mentioned the (Free) flu on the XPT? Wish I'd been warned. :rolleyes:

With that form Bribie you'd do well on the trans-Siberian rail. 5-6 days of vodka, yikes!

Tidal Pete, I'm also shocked we can't trust our pollies. I thought Peter Sleeper was at least raising money by getting drunk in Parliament House. Turns out he was just on/off the wagon for a free ride on the gravy train. I can't believe it.
p.s. better getting a shower of beer in the stand at Lang Park rather than a shower of XXXX cans offered to the ref at that time.

Back