Rotten egg smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclestewbrew

Reaction score
Hi fellas
Put down a brewers selection fresh wort kit last Saturday , US04 yeast and in fridge at 18 degrees.
Fermentation started about 12 hous later and bubbled away nicely . When I came home yesterday I noted a pretty strong rotten egg smell in the garage and when I opened the fridge door I discovered where it was coming from.
I've done a few of these kits before but none with this smell.
Everything was clean and sterile.

Is this a common thing or is it something that can happen using this yeast

Really don't want to tip a FWK ,

Any advice appreciated ,

Cheers Stu

US-05 or S-04?

Either way it is not uncommon, at least, not for a lager yeast or an ale fermented cool.

Is your ferment chamber heated as well as cooled? Not sure what it's like up your way at the moment but could it have fermented cooler than 18 degrees?

Certainly don't tip it!! Taste it and even then don't judge it too harshly. Ferments can produce some vastly different smells and tastes to the finished product. I've only ever had to tip one beer and that was because it tasted like sucking on a clove wrapped in elastoplast.

I done a lager 4 weeks ago using saflager w-34/70 it was rank in the fridge for about a week. After it finished brewing I left it in the fridge for another week and it seemed to go away mostly, I bottled it I assume it will disappear after resting for 2 months.

S-04 I wrote it off long ago. It may have good applications for better brewers than me.
I rarely get the egg smell (unless its lager) but its allways been a good beer.
This is interesting. Have you ever smelt a rotten egg? I could not stand less than 3 meters of a rotten egg without nearly gagging.
I'm brewing a Pilsner right now with 34/70. Started the yeast on stir plate 8 hours. Brewing quick and active at 12c for 2 days its a clean hoppy smell. After 3 days now I get a slight egg smell when I open the fridge. Its not bad but makes you laugh like a non too malevolent egg fart. Its normal for lagers. I'm betting its going to be cracking good beer.

just checked my fermenters, using US 34/70, they smell beautiful….i reckon its when beer smells it's best!

time will tell.

Never noticed that smell with US-05 or S-04, even when fermented cool, but I almost always get it with lager yeast, although I've only used two strains so far. Have used W-34/70 in the past and currently using WY2001 Urquell in my pilsners. 2001 seems to throw it worse than 34/70 did, but the beers always turn out great.

don't ditch it. i did an absolute clanger last year - forgot to add yeast for 3 days, it was really vile after bottling cos something fetid crawled in there. i would have ditched except i had plenty of empty bottles around, and ditching 23L seemed pretty depressing. i don't know when or how it came good cos i didn't touch it for 10 months. then i tried one, and quite drinkable. not a competition winner, but it felt like i'd won 23L of freebies.

mine weren't rotten egg - more like rotten egg mixed with dog vomit and then rolled in the entrails of a pig that had died a week earlier. add a bit of goat's piss and curdled milk, and you're heading in the right direction, but much worse.

most of us, i think, get a rotten eggish every so often, which is part of the deal and nothing to overly worry about, but even an utterly disgusting clanger can somehow sort itself out with time. the magic of brew. don't understand it, but all can be forgiven.

Thanks guys , this has put my mind at ease a bit more now
Apoligies too , it was S-04 used in this brew.

The stench has now backed off a bit so time will tell i guess. My main concern came from the fact that similar brews in the fridge have smelt fantastic while fermenting

My smells got nothing on butisitarts smell though haha ,

Cheers fellas

Latest posts

Back