Rookie Mistake - Dry Hopping With Por

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
another shameful post, the penny dropped while reading up here :( Looks like I should not be dry hopping with POR!

I've got 30g in 3 fermenters - any tips on how to remove them (from the tub + 2 x jerrys') after fermenting for 2 days? The 23L tub should be OK but I'm after help on how to get it out of the jerrys!

I bought a big bag of POR and was using it for bittering and dry hopping. I brewed up 62L CSA-style brew and chucked around 30g of POR in a 23L tub and 2x20L jerrys (this is my bulk brew with my mates). I hopped at about 27c and am worried my beer is going to turn out very grassy.

FWIW, recipe attached.

not trying to be a smart arse but the good news is that it might help cover up the high ferment temp flavours.

Live and learn and see how it turns out.

The rookie mistake is believing one set of opinions. Nothing wrong with dry hopping with POR if you've got a good beer.to sipper it. Look up pride of Mt torrens in my Sig. Great beer with loads of POR in bittering finishing and dry hopping.

See what u think the beer tastes like. If u like it, leave it alone and drink it.

As bob mentioned, I think your POR is the last thing to be worried about, 27c :icon_vomit:

not trying to be a smart arse but the good news is that it might help cover up the high ferment temp flavours.

Live and learn and see how it turns out.

whoops edit, good pickup but that was a typo, it was around 20c when I hopped, now fermenting at 18c :) phew!

I had a sip of the fermented brew that we bottled (another 62L) an hour before we made up this brew to a very similar recipe/hopping schedule and it tasted very grassy. I assume it will settle but was unsure to what degree.

As we've just bottled 62L and another 62L fermenting I didn't want 160 longnecks of sparkling alcoholic grass water!

Just give it a crack, you might like it. It will undoubtedly leave all that other mega swill shit for dead anyway! :p

whoops edit, good pickup but that was a typo, it was around 20c when I hopped, now fermenting at 18c :) phew!

hopefully 20 when you added the yeast :)

Not too sure how long it's been fermenting, if you racked it you may need to add more yeast, otherwise as has been said let it ferment out for a couple of weeks, cold crash, bottle, then leave it alone for 3 months.

Had a great POR IPA at the taphouse a few months ago - inspired me to brew one up the other week.
Few kegs full and its actually really quite nice - yours might not be that bad!

Pride of Ringworm is great for ridding your colon of intestinal parasites and making your beer taste like the smell of an old wardrobe in an abandoned house.

It's the Old Spice or the Brut of hops. Dirty man hops.

Clean yourself up and add some Citra, Simcoe and Cascade. Forsooth!

Old Spice/Brut/Rexona. You really do need to broaden your terms of reference to include things that don't make you look like complete twat, Nick.

Old Spice/Brut/Rexona. You really do need to broaden your terms of reference to include things that don't make you look like complete twat, Nick.

Old Spice/Brut/Rexona/Bum.

I use POR a fair bit but only as a bittering hop for stouts, porter mostly and usually in conjuction with 2 or 3 other hop varieties. Also nothing wrong with 27c, depending on what your brewing of course.
Currently got one sitting at close to 28c but it is a different beast entirely to the OPs brew.

.... Also nothing wrong with 27c, depending on what your brewing of course.
Unless it's a Belgian or maybe a season then everything is wrong with brewing at that temp. So it's just as well the OP said it was fermented at 20C

Look up pride of Mt torrens in my Sig.

Fair enough, but I don't know if your tastes are shared by many other brewers, you also have bong water in your signature :lol:

Back on topic, while I have never dry hopped with POR, I have used it for bittering, and a careful touch on the flavour addition, and it's not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Its far from being my 'go-to' hop, but when used judiciously, it's not too bad at all.

I get floral aroma from POR but not a huge amount relative to how much I use. Flavour wise its very herbal and woody and best utilized in stouts as mentioned above. Fruity type flavoured hops being best for lager style brews.

Fair enough, but I don't know if your tastes are shared by many other brewers, you also have bong water in your signature :lol:

Back on topic, while I have never dry hopped with POR, I have used it for bittering, and a careful touch on the flavour addition, and it's not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Its far from being my 'go-to' hop, but when used judiciously, it's not too bad at all.
bongwater USA is a smoked gyle beer full of USA hops. Hence the name. consensus of opinion doesn't create fact my friend.

I quite like POR; I have never had a grassy beer from dry hoping but I only dry hop at the start of fermentation and am fairly convinced that the Grassy aromas are stripped out very early when there is a lot of CO2 around, dry hoping late really is asking for trouble.

Applauding cittymorgue2s comments worry less about conventional wisdom and more about whats in your glass. Brew it and if you dont like something about the beer look for the cause and find a remedy.
Mark

I quite like POR; I have never had a grassy beer from dry hoping but I only dry hop at the start of fermentation and am fairly convinced that the “Grassy” aromas are stripped out very early when there is a lot of CO2 around, dry hoping late really is asking for trouble.

Applauding cittymorgue2s’ comments worry less about conventional wisdom and more about what’s in your glass. Brew it and if you don’t like something about the beer look for the cause and find a remedy.
Mark

interesting, I dry hopped on brew night, so if your theory holds I should be alright. Sounds like with dry hopping using 'non-traditional' hops for the process (i.e. POR) should be done earlier, while the typical finishing style hops later in the fermentation. Style also comes into this too I suppose, all part of the learninging.

I quite like POR; I have never had a grassy beer from dry hoping but I only dry hop at the start of fermentation and am fairly convinced that the Grassy aromas are stripped out very early when there is a lot of CO2 around, dry hoping late really is asking for trouble.

Mark, this is interesting. I have always been under the impression that dry hopping should be towards the end of fermentation, but what you suggest makes sense.
I usually dry hop 4-5 days before I aim to keg my beer. I have had some slight grassiness from dry hopping which will usually clear up after a couple of weeks.

How do you go if you leave the beer on the cake for a couple of weeks with dry hopping?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back