Rolling Boil. Is This Too Violent?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Hi,

I got my second AG done on the weekend, and I haven't measured exactly yet (will do when I tip the cube in the fermenter), but I guestimate I lost about 8 - 10 liters over 90 minutes.

This is a video of my boil:

I think it looks like I might be a touch over powered......

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks ok to me, if it were my kit I'd probably have it back a little (more to conserve energy than anything else) but if your evaporation rate is about 10% an hour then it should be alright. I have a rolling boil that doesn't 'leap out' like yours but I don't think it makes a really noticable difference to the final beer.

Maybe others have comparisons on less vigorous vs more vigorous boils?

cheers

That's a pretty insane boil, I tend to just keep the liquid rolling with minimal "bubbling"

That's way more violent than my boil, once I settle it down after bringing it to the boil in the first instance.

I think you just need it strong enough so the liquid breaks the surface. A boil is always at 100C (OK, OK, give or take depending on what's boiling and pressure etc etc), so a more violent boil just evaporates more water.

I'm guessing my evap rate was more than 10% I started with 32l of water, before putting the bag and grain in. Ended up with 20l or less....

I might use both elements to bring it to the boil, and turn one off once it gets there next time....

My first brew I boiled like that and learned when I ended up with about 2/3 what I expected (although I hit my target gravity... :rolleyes: )
Now my boil is more like "simmering" boil (I realise thats a bit of an oxymoron) - ie its just to the point of a boil where it just lightly 'turns' over

My first brew I boiled like that and learned when I ended up with about 2/3 what I expected (although I hit my target gravity... :rolleyes: )
Now my boil is more like "simmering" boil (I realise thats a bit of an oxymoron) - ie its just to the point of a boil where it just lightly 'turns' over

Yep, I hit my target gravity (actually 2 points higher), but volumes were nowhere near what I wanted!

Will try just one element next time once it's boiling!

Back