Rolled Oats For Wit (w/ Braumeister)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
Later this afternoon I will be brewing a Wit in my braumeister.
Standard recipe really -
2.3kg pilsner malt, 2 kg wheat, 500g rolled oats, 150g Munich.
I was hoping someone could help me out with the correct procedure to handle my Oats. I have "Rolled oats" from the supermarket. Should have gotten instant oats, but i didn't :(
So how do I handle these rolled oats?
I see two options -
Easy one - Add 2l of water to the oats and bring to the boil. this will gelatinize them and I can then add to my braumeister to go through the entire mash procedure, Protein rest, sacc rest, mash out etc.
Harder option - Adjunct mash - Add a scoop of my milled wheat and pilsner malt to a pot with the oats and go through the steps from Protein rest, sacc rest then boil. Add it back to the braumeister to then cycle through the sacc rest etc fro the whole mash. This option seems like more work.
Anyone got any know how in this area?

Thanks

I'd go with option 1 which I would expect is the traditional method and simpler. option 2 may be more efficient but that's not really what you are after here. you are after some haze from the oats.

i use the lowan rolled oats just as they are. with my wits (raw wheat), no munich , i prgm my pid to ramp from dough in at 53 up to 76 over 2 hours. if i am @ i pause it at 63 and 72 ( 20 min and 10 min ), doesn't seem to make much difference. Alter your effeciency down to 65-70 % though.
cheers
sean

Id do a bit of one and a bit of two.
Add your oats to tap water in a saucepan (about 4:1 L:G) stir in about 10% of the weight of oats in grist (50g or maybe 100g will work better) put it on the stove and set the stove on low (so it heats up slowly, might be low-1-2...) let it heat to about 80oC then turn it up full until it reaches a boil then give it a 10 minute simmer and add it to your Braumeister.
Ideal heating rate is 1oC/Minute so from 20-80oC - an hour. You do want to start cool, to take advantage of the Glucanase which really breaks up the Oats, will give you a good recirculation and thats fairly important when you are brewing on a Braumeister
Mark

Back