Rogue Imperial Stout Clone Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score
Does anyone know of, or have, a recipe for Rogue's Imperial Stout?

A friend of mine wants to brew this as his father is coming from the US to visit him in a few months and it is his fathers favourite beer. He is not setup for AG brewing so at most it'll need to be a mini-mash recipe.

If you have an AG recipe, I'll most likely have to brew it for him, with his help of course. :p

Cheers,
BB

May be worth asking on one of the US forums, a quick search found this.

Thanks Jye....looks like that post is from 2004.

I've come across a few other posts, but no recipe.

I may have to ask a few friends in the US.

Cheers,
BB

Yep, I'd formulate the recipe on Jye's URL.

"Deserving the title "Emperor of Ales" (unlike the bourgeois "King of Beers"), Imperial is the strongest and fullest of all stouts. Imperials originally were brewed with large quantities of hops and a high alcohol content to withstand long, unrefrigerated journeys. Rogue Imperial Stout, considered the high end of stouts, is made of 2-row Great Western Harrington & Klages, Hugh Baird XLT-80, Black, Munich and Chocolate Malts; Willamette, Cascade and Chinook hops; rolled oats; and two secret ingredients. Unfiltered and unfined, Imperial Stout is best when aged for one year. Imperial Stout is available in a new 750-ml ceramic swing-top bottle (replacing the much older 7-ounce and more recent 12-ounce XS-line packaging) and on draft.

Measurements: 26 degrees Plato, IBU 88, Apparent Attenuation 73, Lovibond 256, 11% ABV.
No Chemicals, Additives, or Preservatives "

As for the two secret ingredients, hmmm!?

My guess:
coffee
vanilla

The yeast used would most certainly be the Rogue PacMan. This is a limited production yeast discontinued in Dec. 2006. So, you may want to phone G&G and have them reserve one for you, if any are still available. They'll be nice enough to tag it and store it in the back fridge, I'm sure.

I have a couple of second gen PacMan reserved at 4C in bottles if you'd like 'em. Just say the word, they're yours. Give 'em a good start and they'll be fine.

From memory, the head brewer of Rogue ferments all his beers cool I believe around the 60F (15.55C) range.

Hope helps,

reVox

Thanks ReVox.

Jason sent me a pdf with the description in it, so I have a starting point. Yes, they use Pacman yeast. Fermenting at 15.5C will definitely mean brewing this at my place. I'll attempt an AG recipe from what I know and post to this forum for feedback.

Cheers all!

BB

Back