Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I have a roggenbier planned for brewing soon

here is the recipe i have come up with.

Any comments?

(50%) 5kg TF pale rye malt @ 4ebc
(35%) 3.5kg JW export pilsner @ 3ebc
(10%) 1kg JW light munich @ 18ebc
(3%) 300g TF crystal @ 145ebc
(1%) 100g Weyermann Carafa spec 1 @ 950ebc
(1%) 100g JW roasted wheat @ 1300ebc
1kg of rice hulls in mash

30g Hallertauer 60 min boil
30g Hallertauer 30 min boil
30g Hallertauer 10 min boil

45 liter batch
1.050 @76% efficiency
17 IBU
30 EBC
Brew with 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast

Does anyone know if there are any tricks to these beers? Should i crack the rye fine or course?

I am planing a basic decoction mash with a protein rest and infuse to 60 deg and them pull a decoction to raise to 70 deg and then again for mash out or about 78 deg.

Cheers

Geez I've wanted to brew a roggenbier for the longest time, but I've never got around to it.

The only comment I have is that it seems like a lot of rye. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I seem to recall reading that Thurn & Taxis has in the vicinity of 20-25% rye malt. I think Mosher's roggenbier in Radical Brewing is 50/25/25 barley/rye/wheat. Most rye recipes I've seen (not necessarily roggenbier) seem to have <30% rye, though I'm not sure if it's for flavour reasons or ease of lautering.

BJCP says 50% but some use 60 to 65% rye.

I dont know what its going to taste like?

I have been told that rye is a bitch to mash and goes like glue so this might be the reason.

Hence the rice hulls.

I have mashed 70% wheat before with no real problems so with my new setup and rice hulls i should be ok.

Only one way to find out hey :unsure:

cheers

I'm impressed Tony, 45L of a beer style you haven't tried before - I hope she's a ripper :beer:

oh boy so do i ross. :unsure:

thats why im asking for advice :D

cheers

Back