Roggen Bier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispy

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently return from a holiday in germany, he has been nagging me to brew a Roggen Bier for him.

Is there a commercial Roggen available in Adelaide so I can taste this style?

Has anyone brew this style of beer?, or have a recommended recipe?...

I know this has Rye in the grain bill, but what other malts/yeast etc....

I would browse the web, but the Nazi's at work have banned all the sites except this one.....it's only a matter of time.

Cheers,

Crispy

Here is one:
Brown Rye Ale

Ingredients:
5 lbs Mild Ale Malt (Munton & Fison)
1.5 lbs Rye Flakes (in the bulk section of your health food store)
8 oz Cara-Munich (DeWolf-Cosyns)
3 oz Roasted Barley (DeWolf-Cosyns)
1 lb of Sucanat (evaporated cane juice, ie. natural brown sugar)
2.0 oz = 8.0 AAU Fuggles (60 min)
1.5 oz = 5.2 AAU Spalt (10 min)
London Ale or German Ale Wyeast

Procedure:
Mash malt and rye at 142 for 90 minutes. The three times I've made this, the mash temperature has always been on the low side. The beer came out great every time, so I'm not worried.
Sparge as usual. Add sucanat and boil 60 minutes.
Chill as usual. The original gravity comes to 1.048 (for 5 gallons).
Pitch London Ale or German Ale Wyeast. Actually, I'm going to try the California Steam/Lager yeast next time. It sounds like the steamy esters would complement the rye flavor quite nicely.

Specifics:
OG: 1048

Comments:
The inspiration for this recipe is the recipe for Brown Ale in the back of Dave Miller's book. The rye flavor is prominent, even with this small amount of rye. I think that more than two pounds would be overpowering in this style. (Maybe more in a stout??)

Crispy what stle is it is a dunkel or bock or dopplebock or dunleweizen or doppledunkelweizen ect then u make one to a simialr style if u like wheat beers try anventuis and do search for this on ahb

This variant comes from Randy Mosher's new book Radical Brewing

Batch size 19L

1.1kg wheat malt
1.1kg rye malt
1.7kg pilsner malt
0.45kg Munich malt
0.225kg crystal malt
0.45 kg rice hulls (to help with the sparge, given wheat and rye load, held off until setting the bed for spagring)

HOPS
14g Tertnang (4% AA) 60 min
28g Tettnang (4% AA) 30 min
14g Tettnang (4% AA) 0 min

Yeast Bavarian Weizen

OG 1.053
14IBU

Recommends carbonation levels 15psi

He says: "Start with a glucan rest at 35-38C (which should make sparging easier) then step up to a protein rst for 30-60 inuts at about 50C ... if using a basic infusion mash, near boiling water can be added after the glucan and protein rests to raise the temp up to the next step

Describes it as a "delightfully spicy rye beer, If you want to push the limits a little more, add 1/4 teaspoon of coarsely cracked pepper at the very end of the boil"

You'll have to use promash or beersmith, with your brew house efficiencies to work out the water levels, I guess.

anybody interested in the book - here's some info
Radical Brewing

Just got the book myself, seems a coffee table mix of part history, part how to and part recipe book, but is not badly written. Found it hard to pass the title by!

Cheers for that Stu,

I'll check out the book and add this recipe to the list of "to do's"

Crispy

I thought only Free Radicals were good for you and should not be passed by...

:lol:

Back