Rogers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chatty

Reaction score
Hey all. Well, you all seem to be fans of Little Creatures Pale Ale, has anyone tried, and more specifically tried to recreate Rogers? just sucked down one then and it went brilliantly. :chug:

I was wondering what sort of hops people reckon they've used. I have absolutely no idea what each hop variety taste/smell like and wouldn't mind a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

Chatty

i have only ever drank one 330ml bottle at a time straight from the bottle while driving, never had a few at the same time.i think i might get some tommorow and check it out.

anyway i found it to be a similar style beer to the pale.i might be wrong but this is what i got from the bottle the first few times.

the hops that have a real floral aroma and citric taste are cascade,hallertau also have a huge aroma and flavour but more spice.
kent goldings i find have a similar but milder more familar flavour than cascade.

i'll have a couple tomorrow and see what i come up with.
i find it has got that exact taste iam after.
although a different beer what do you think of the MSB pilsner.

Jayse,

I think the JS Pilsner is a beaut, probably a close second to Urquell. Any ideas for a clone?

Trev

trev
i put the js in front of urquell for malt complexity.
never done one but i have some recipe ideas on the back burner.

number one bohemium pils yeast all saaz hops and pale malt with 20 % munich malt.

little creature will be in town tommorow so i'll be becoming a drunken mess in front of their tent at the tasting australia festival.so i should come home with some ideas for the rogers maybe even some more ideas on the pale.

Chatty,

Hmmm, well I'm a big LCPA fan so a few months back I bought myself a bottle of Rogers......and was glad it was only one! I know LCPA can be a bit over the top for some people, but thats my style, but I found Rodgers to be lacking, I think it was just too subtle.

I mean it was a nice beer, but I had a hard time justyfing the "Premium Beer" price tag that came along with it.

But then if everyone liked the same type of beer, it'd be a pretty boring place..... :)

Rogers is a light Amber Ale. 3.5% Alc.vol, iirc. The label says it uses the same hops as LCPA which is Cascade. I actually tried to make a full strength clone, but won't post the recipe as it was a bit wrong :) Instead I'll post what I think I did wrong and some suggestions about what would be right.

I used Pale LME, CaraMunich and chocolate malt grains. I think the Cara was overdone as it had a very caramel note to it, much moreso than Rogers...

A reasonable clone would probably be lots of pale malt, a big hit of a dark crystal (play around in promash until the colour looks right). Bitter, flavour and aroma hops would all be Cascade. Check the BJCP guidelines for American Amber ale for IBUs and go back to Promash and see how much bittering it needs, or make an educated guess from the flavour profile of a Rogers.

My clone was also ruined by the wrong yeast. I used an English Ale (trying to accentuate malt characteristics). You'd probably be better off with WLP001, American Ale yeast, which will accentuate the Cascade hops.

If you get a decent recipe and like the results, post back here!

Any luck with the tasting jayse? I won't be putting it down for a month but wouldn't mind knowing what i'm aiming for thats all.

Chatty

hey jayse how did you go at tasting australia i seen you at the little creatures tent as i was leaving i tried the msb colonial wheat it nice for a wheat beer but i think its not my style i like so no more wheat beer for me

yep had my fair share of beer that day.how wicked is it that they included beer amoung all the wine actually beer was a huge part of the day.i saw many many people drinking fine beer instead of wine.

trouble with the rogers is i had a couple of lcpas' first then a msb i.p.a and a pilsner so i really couldn't taste much at all when i tried a rogers didn't even bother trying the rogers a second time that day sorry chatty.

anyway post moderns ideas i think are pretty spot on 250-500g 40-60L crystal.plus 30g choc malt.
they use joe white pale malt at little creatures.
use however much you want for the o.g you want.
iam still experimenting with my amber ales haven't got a real ripper of a recipe yet.but its pretty much based as above.

500g british 120 ebc crystal.
30g choc
4 kg pale ale malt.

i have been using ekg for the hops in my amber ales but for what you want i suppose it should be cascade.
20-25 ibu for 60 mins
1/2 oz 15 mins
1/2 oz 10 mins
1 oz 5 mins

iv'e been using the american II yeast for my ambers as well as my pales.

anyway this is not one of my great recipes or anything.it is currently still just a work in progress.its funny some of these experimental brews i have done have come up great first go but not this one .the next time i will use 1 kg of munich malt as well see how i go.

anyway i hope this helps at least a little.i will have a nice amber ale eventually.

Latest posts

Back