Rogers Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dars183

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wondering if I could get some thoughts from the more experienced among us
cool.gif
I've read a bit about it but now it's time to do it :ph34r:

EDIT recipe pulllled down till I figure out what I did wrong :(

Cheers

26.3% crystal???

Twenty six point three percent crystal?????

Sorry, but constructive comments completely escape me, at the moment. I can't get past such a (sorry) ridiculously high load of crystal.

This level of crystal is so excessive, I'm not even going to comment on your yeast choice........

edit: sorry, dude, you're obviously new, and now I feel bad....

but that is a shocking amount of specs. and a bad yeast.

DrSmurto does a rogers-style beer, it's on here somewhere. Do a search for it, and heed his advice. I can't recall if it's extract based or all grain....if it's all grain, use it as the basis for your next question: how do I replicate this with extract?

Trust me. DrS is the scha-mizzle when it comes to easy clones, and I know that this is one of his faves. ;)

This is what I was converting to an extract recipe, where did I go wrong :huh:

Australian Traditional Ale Malt 3.000 kg 94.0 % 4.1 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Crystal 140 0.070 kg 2.2 % 2.1 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Dark Crystal 0.070 kg 2.2 % 3.1 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Chocolate Malt 0.050 kg 1.6 % 7.6 In Mash/Steeped

UK Golding 5.5 % 37 g 30.0 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 45 g 1.3 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End
DCL S-04-SafAle English Ale

Eerrr, I think a slight mathematical problem?
It's 0.070 kg each of Crystal and Dark Crystal, that's 140 gr in total, not .700 kg each making 1.4 kg.
Recipe above looks fine to me as it stands.
If doing an extract recipe, you only need to convert the Ale Malt to either dry or liquid extract.

Formatting is hard to read on your repolst, but....
96% trad ale....this is the base grain. So everything else makes up 6% of the fermentables.

2.2% xtal
2.2% dark xtal
1.6% choc

...if I read it correctly.

Hard to be certain without your original on here, but I tend to think you went wrong doing a straight substitution weight for weight extract for grain....it doesn't work that way.

Some kind (more sober than me) soul can run these numbers (which make way much more sense) through software, and nail it down for you....although, they will need some additional info:

What size batch?
link to original recipe, otherwise OG, IBU?
How big is your boil pot? No exagerating...it's a pot, not a penis. How much can you comfortably fit in it.....(that's what he said to her....but seriously.)

Where's the wheat? I've got 4.9% in mine :D

but I've also got 8.6% total crystal ;)

QldKev

Dont know how the formatting will go :(

Original Recipe I was 'trying to' work off ;

Minimum OG: 1.030 SG Maximum OG: 1.038 SG
Minimum FG: 1.008 SG Maximum FG: 1.013 SG
Minimum IBU: 10 IBU Maximum IBU: 25 IBU
Minimum Color: 12.0 SRM Maximum Color: 25.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 28.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 21.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 21.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.028 SG Expected OG: 1.037 SG
Expected FG: 1.010 SG Apparent Attenuation: 72.9 %
Expected ABV: 3.6 % Expected ABW: 2.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 31.3 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 10.3
SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.85 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables

Hops

Yeast

I'm going for a 23lt batch and I can do an 11Ltr boil..

Thanks for the help :)

My Light Amber Ale is not a Rogers clone per se but is what i based it on when i set out to brew a lower abv beer which still had plenty of hop flavour but didn't taste like aussie light lagers (ie. water). It's on tap regularly.

I've since knocked the IBU down to 20-25, depending on what yeast i use. I use a range of hops, american, australian and kiwi. As long as they fruity hops then that is what i am after.

Am brewing my latest incarnation of this on Thursday using the cask ale yeast (WY1026) so will knock the IBU down ever further as this yeast is quite a good attenuator. Hitting it with 10g/L of homegrown cascade hops at 5 mins as the only hop addition, no bittering.

This post has my thoughts on how to tackle this beer using kits or full extract - see the discussion here

The doubling up of carapils is due to a typo - 1 of the carapils should be replaced with carabohemian or caraaroma. If you can't get either then a dark crystal malt should suffice.

I would definitely advocate using Windsor yeast in this beer as you don't want the FG to dip below 1.010 which is what will happen if you use the kit yeast or most other dry yeasts.

Hope that helps
Cheers
DrSmurto

Got the brew done today and big thanks for the help and thanks Dr.S for the recipe. Hit target OG as suggested, looks and smells great :)

Cheers

Cheers for requesting help with this recipe - looks awesome and I hadn't stumbled across it before.

Really like this flavourful low alc beer.

Added to the 'to brew' list...

Cheers

Kev

Got the brew done today and big thanks for the help and thanks Dr.S for the recipe. Hit target OG as suggested, looks and smells great :)

Cheers

Glad to be of help. I look forward to hearing how the final product turns out :chug:

It would be great if you could post the recipe you went with here and report back on the final result to help others with this. A low abv, tasty kit/extract beer is hard to come by.

Recipe as follows;

<snip> . . . . . .So i would do the following

1 tin Coopers Lager (low IBU)
1 tin Briess Munich malt
250g carabohemian
100g pale chocolate malt

You need a volume of 26L to get the OG down to 1.037. If you add less water you end up with a higher abv beer which makes it pointless trying to clone Rogers. 26L means more beer for you!

An 11L boil makes calculations simpler.

I'd boil the munich malt along with the liquid from steeping the carabohemian and pale choc malt (I assume you know about steeping grains). You will get 25ish IBU from the Coopers Lager tin.

After 15 mins boiling add 25g of cascade (or preferably 2 plugs of cascade if you can get plugs - 2 plusg = 28g), wait 5 mins and then switch the heat off. Add the tin of Coopers Lager. Cool and top up to 26L.

Once at or below 20C pitch the windsor yeast. This yeast is critical - most homebrew shop owners or at least the crappy ones will tell you it doesn;t matter but that is more than likely due to the fact they don't have this yeast. Shop elsewhere. Without this low attenuating yeast you will end up with a thin and watery beer and that won't impress anyone.

After 7 days of fermentation add 10g of cascade directly to the fermenter. After 4-7 days either rack and condition for a further week or bottle.

If you don't have or don't want to get cascade hops you can use most american hops - chinook, amarillo, centennial, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Will report back as brew progresses :)

Back