Roeselare Ale Blend Is Back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Just swiped this from the Brewboard. Looks like those who lament the loss of Roeselare can rejoice. :beerbang:

VSS ACTIVATORTM

Very Special Strains Pure Liquid Yeast

For the Months of April through June, 2007

Wyeast Laboratories, Inc. proudly presents strains of yeast from our Archives.

Les Triplettes de Belgique/Belgi- Three distinctly different beer yeast strains representative of the diversity of Belgium . Two from Flanders, one from Wallonia .

We are excited about the opportunity to bring you these Very Special Strains, and we welcome your comments. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. Let us know what you think of this promotion and what strains youd like to see offered in the future.

Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend

Back by Popular Demand! Just in time for cool spring primary fermentation and warm summer secondary fermentation.

A blend of lambic cultures including lactic bacteria. Produces beers with a complex, earthy profile. Distinct pie cherry character and sourness from Brettanomyces culture. Extended aging is required for full flavor profile to develop. Acidity continues to increase for up to 18 months. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of mixed cultures.

Traditional use is to inoculate primary fermentation with this mixed culture and ferment to attenuation. The young beer is then racked to oak barrels where secondary fermentation continues for a year or more. Several months to a year later, another batch of beer is produced in the same manner. This young beer is then blended with the oak aged beer to the brew masters discretion to obtain the perfect balance of freshness and complexity with just the right amount of acidity. Each blend becomes a signature beer. You do not have to go to these lengths to make a wonderful beer with this culture; your imagination and creativity are the only limits.

Fermentation temperature varies depending upon desired flavor profile and length of aging. Initial fermentation temperature should be maintained between 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 7 days to allow the S. cerevisiae strain to complete primary fermentation. Subsequent elevated temperatures (80-85 F) will increase the rate of acid production by the lactic bacteria.

Alcohol tolerance: approximately 11% ABV

Flocculation: variable

Apparent attenuation: 80%+

Temperature range: 65-85F (18-30C)

Wyeast 3822 Ingelmunster Ale (formerly known as Wyeast 3822 Dutch Castle )

This unique Belgian ale yeast produces spicy, phenolic and tart aromas. Very tart and dry on the palate. Phenol and ester production balanced, for beer with a complex finish. High acid producer.

Alcohol tolerance: approximately 12%

Flocculation: medium-high

Apparent attenuation: 74-79%

Temperature range: 65-80F (18-27C)

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a dry peppery finish. A perfect strain for Farmhouse ales and Saisons.

Alcohol tolerance: 12% ABV

Flocculation: low-medium

Attenuation: 76-81%

Temperature range: 70-95F (21-35C)

Warren -

cool

anyone know about the ingelmunster/castle one? is it from kasteel? does it have lacto or something in it?

Probably from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck (Kasteel as you said) but Kasteel is only one of their brands from memory.

They also produce Brigand, St Louis Lambic range & Bacchus (Flanders Red) and others. Maybe their yeast is sour from cross-contamination. :blink:

Yum... Kasteelbier. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Probably from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck (Kasteel as you said) but Kasteel is only one of their brands from memory.

They also produce Brigand, St Louis Lambic range & Bacchus (Flanders Red) and others. Maybe their yeast is sour from cross-contamination. :blink:

Yum... Kasteelbier. :rolleyes:

Warren -

ah it must be, honsebrouck is in ingelmunster. not one of my favourites. don't think much of the st louis lambics, they're more from the cordial end of the lambic spectrum. don't remember kasteel beers having any sourness? might give it a go anyway.

ah it must be, honsebrouck is in ingelmunster. not one of my favourites. don't think much of the st louis lambics, they're more from the cordial end of the lambic spectrum. don't remember kasteel beers having any sourness? might give it a go anyway.

I thought the Gueuze Fond Tradition was pretty damn tasty, but their other lambics are definately more like alcopops.

I've never tried any of their other products apart from the St Louis range.

Nup, you're right about St. Louis range in general OTOH I vaguely once remember having the Gueuze Fond Tradition. While not anywhere near as good as Oude Beersel, Cantillon etc I think was still OK.

Perhaps it (former Dutch Castle) may be one of the contributing yeasts in Bacchus. :beerbang:

I agree though the fact it's touted as a late acid producer has me quite intrigued.

Edit: Sorry Kook just read yours after I posted.

Warren -

I'm looking forward to trying all of these strains, might have to put in an order just to make sure. Now I just need a few dozen 10L demijohns and a cellar...

Hot damn! 3726 is back! Between Belgian candi syrup and this yeast my brewing life is now complete. :beer:

As for the Ingelmunster, it's not much but there's one promising report about its performance here.

Latest posts

Back