Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guten systems have been in use now for years with the power control built in. They're absolutely fine even in the 'hot ambient temperature' because they were designed to function with that feature in place. But the money you're saving by not having a power control feature and instead just milking the nebulous concept of low watt density has got to be great for you but miserable for the control you're offering your brewers.

It sounds a bit more like you guys are resentful that you are not making as many sales as us. The reality is many more BrewZilla units are sold around the world for a reason. How about we test your boards and our boards in a public video. We will do load testing and heat tolerance testing. What do you say?

I have two Guten, one of the advantages of it is the ease of dialing in the temperatures without faffing about with which elements are to be used on the Brewzilla.
It isn't about how many sales, its about the number of satisfied customers, not a good record starting at Robobrew 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.1.1, looks like the Fermzilla is going along a similar route.

Can we please not turn this thread in to another shit slinging match between the businesses and also their shadow/worker accounts?
We want to hear from the users and consumers about their experiences. In my mind it's ok for the makers/retailers to highlight what they feel are the advantages/features of their units, but for christ's sake can we please not let this thread devolve in to a pit of negativity and shit slinging? It's just like politics, when everybody devolves in to putting down their competitors instead of actually highlighting what their own positives are and what they can give us that others can't

I have two Guten, one of the advantages of it is the ease of dialing in the temperatures without faffing about with which elements are to be used on the Brewzilla.
It isn't about how many sales, its about the number of satisfied customers, not a good record starting at Robobrew 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.1.1, looks like the Fermzilla is going along a similar route.
It's called product development, sometimes it works well "Windows 10" and sometimes it doesn't "Windows 8"
Are you suggesting KK do nothing about the Guten overflow pipe failures that appear to be a design flaw, other than sending out replacements that fail on first use?
The thread title is Robobrew V3 v Guten, no mention of fermenters, do try to stay on topic Reggie-boy or start a thread called lets knock KL so all you fan bois/ghosts can have a home to go to.
I've had my Robo V3 for a couple of years and it has performed as stated on the box, and done about 40 brews.
I upgraded the switches to V3.1.1 (black rubber boots not clear silicon) and after 12 months the boots had perished, KL happily replaced them but the new ones were exactly the same as the ones that perished and I can only assume that they will perish also. The problem is they are a right royal pita to replace, they are currently showing out of stock so I can only hope that the new stock will have a better quality boot, other than that I'm very happy with it, and planning on buying all the other upgrade bits to make it a 3.1.1.

Have you ever brewed with a three vessel system? Do you find using the Guten saves time and energy on your brew day? I only ask in that my main goal is making brew day easier now. However, if it does not make it significantly easier, then I will have a hard time justifying the expense to myself and my partner.
Thank you for your feedback!

It sounds a bit more like you guys are resentful that you are not making as many sales as us. The reality is many more BrewZilla units are sold around the world for a reason. How about we test your boards and our boards in a public video. We will do load testing and heat tolerance testing. What do you say?

We are not going out of our way to satisfy your thirst for some sort of public stoush and your very unsubtle form of baiting. If our customers would like information then we will be happy to provide it rather than getting you, a competitor/someone to resurrect a long dormant thread in an immature attempt to provoke and down play our product. Our time is better spent taking care of our valued customers and working positively to give them the best brewing experiences rather than to waste time on this thinly veiled attempt to use us to try and promote your products.

Who really cares what your perception of reality is? We don’t.

Probability is that the Guten factory, which produces all the variants for Klarstein, Brewster Beacon, Hop Ace, Brewmonk and many more has shipped probably 10 times than yours ever will.

Far be it from us to advise you, but maybe, just maybe, go service your clients and don’t worry so much about what we are doing.

Can we please not turn this thread in to another shit slinging match between the businesses and also their shadow/worker accounts?
We want to hear from the users and consumers about their experiences. In my mind it's ok for the makers/retailers to highlight what they feel are the advantages/features of their units, but for christ's sake can we please not let this thread devolve in to a pit of negativity and shit slinging? It's just like politics, when everybody devolves in to putting down their competitors instead of actually highlighting what their own positives are and what they can give us that others can't

I think that pony just bolted

Have you ever brewed with a three vessel system? Do you find using the Guten saves time and energy on your brew day? I only ask in that my main goal is making brew day easier now. However, if it does not make it significantly easier, then I will have a hard time justifying the expense to myself and my partner.

For me, it saves a ton of time and effort. I can set my Guten to heat the water (all of it, including my sparge water) to mash temp for when I get up in the morning (multiple steps at the minimum temperature to get through the night, then the heating step timed for when I get up), I then drain the sparge water off in to a bucket and mash in quickly without any doughballs by slowly lowering the malt pipe that is already filled with grain in to the unit, give it a stir then walk off. Come back 15 mins later and turn on the pump for recirculating. Leave again for another 60ish minutes - when I come back the mash has finished and it has heated the wort to about 75oC. Lift out the malt pipe, pour over half of the sparge water and walk off. Come back 5-10 mins later to do the other half of the sparge and throw in any bittering hops (I just do FWH for these). As it comes to a boil, I'm cleaning out the malt pipe, then I'm free to leave for another 45 mins. Come back at 15 mins left in the boil to throw in whirlfloc and nutrient, then prepare my no chill cube and any cube hops. Give it a quick whirlpool after the boil finishes, wait 20 mins to settle then drain in to cube and clean the unit (which takes about 10 mins most times).

Brew day is done and dusted in about 4ish hours (even less if you shorten the mash or boil, or do no sparge), and even during that time I spend very little actual time at the unit. I usually go to the gym during the mash or boil, and do heaps of other stuff around the house too. For me, brewing has become like baking sourdough bread - overall it takes a long time, but there is very little actual active time spent on it.

I have as I imagine most have been down the three vessel route, I am one for trying to make a brew day shorter but without compromise to the outcome, so yes single vessel brewery is a good choice to save time and energy, also doing a full volume mash with no sparge saves a bit of time and energy and only a few dollars more to incorporate.

See our post where we make a point of not going down this path and rather work to help our customers get the best experience that they can. I agree that this is not the place to bait and use it to market gear.

It's called product development, sometimes it works well "Windows 10" and sometimes it doesn't "Windows 8"
Are you suggesting KK do nothing about the Guten overflow pipe failures that appear to be a design flaw, other than sending out replacements that fail on first use?
The thread title is Robobrew V3 v Guten, no mention of fermenters, do try to stay on topic Reggie-boy or start a thread called lets knock KL so all you fan bois/ghosts can have a home to go to.
I've had my Robo V3 for a couple of years and it has performed as stated on the box, and done about 40 brews.
I upgraded the switches to V3.1.1 (black rubber boots not clear silicon) and after 12 months the boots had perished, KL happily replaced them but the new ones were exactly the same as the ones that perished and I can only assume that they will perish also. The problem is they are a right royal pita to replace, they are currently showing out of stock so I can only hope that the new stock will have a better quality boot, other than that I'm very happy with it, and planning on buying all the other upgrade bits to make it a 3.1.1.
The pipe problem was a manufacturing fault and not a design flaw. It has been addressed.

The pipe problem was a manufacturing fault and not a design flaw. It has been addressed.
Glad to hear it, and I never doubted it would be fixed I just used it as an example of how products can evolve, seeing as Reggie seems to think we should all be back in the stone age using V.1, no make that Beta, cor hang on what happened to the Alpha, yeh that's it we'll all stick with the Alpha cos development is the work of the Devil, fer F's sake give me a break, and why are you so sensitive to criticism? Admittedly I have been critical of KK, but I've also bought gear from you and commented on how good it was (FKJ's) and yet one negative comment and you ban me from your thread, that's your prerogative of course but maybe you should rename it KK fan support or something similar.
Look at my quoted comment here, I criticise the quality of the KL boots but you don't see them throwing a hissy fit, and before anyone starts please don't compare KL's banning of weal to your banning of me, a quick trawl through the posts will reveal very different attitudes/comments, unlike weal and KL/Kee I have no dislike of KK but I do call a spade a spade, and if you stifle criticism you end up with an autocracy, ask the Russians and North Koreans how that's working out for them.
fwiw the FKJ's are perfect for my needs and have been in constant service since I received them, see I don't hate you xxx focl Cheers G

I went with the Guten after reading the Guten thread, still happy with the choice I made and advice I have received on this forum since the purchase.

Glad to hear it, and I never doubted it would be fixed I just used it as an example of how products can evolve, seeing as Reggie seems to think we should all be back in the stone age using V.1, no make that Beta, cor hang on what happened to the Alpha, yeh that's it we'll all stick with the Alpha cos development is the work of the Devil, fer F's sake give me a break, and why are you so sensitive to criticism? Admittedly I have been critical of KK, but I've also bought gear from you and commented on how good it was (FKJ's) and yet one negative comment and you ban me from your thread, that's your prerogative of course but maybe you should rename it KK fan support or something similar.
Look at my quoted comment here, I criticise the quality of the KL boots but you don't see them throwing a hissy fit, and before anyone starts please don't compare KL's banning of weal to your banning of me, a quick trawl through the posts will reveal very different attitudes/comments, unlike weal and KL/Kee I have no dislike of KK but I do call a spade a spade, and if you stifle criticism you end up with an autocracy, ask the Russians and North Koreans how that's working out for them.
fwiw the FKJ's are perfect for my needs and have been in constant service since I received them, see I don't hate you xxx focl Cheers G
Grmblz - lots of words and not sure where the Russians and Koreans fit in to all of this. I simply pointed out that it was a manufacturing fault and that its been fixed just as we fix all other things that can be improved. Frankly I really have no interest in what the opposition and its claquetiers want to embroil us in. We simply will not play their games or anybody elses. There is enough real stuff to do in order to serve our clients better than to waste time on these futile exercises. Glad you like our FKJs and I can tell you that you are in good company as they are selling very well.

I currently own a guten (one of the 'direct from China', pre-KK-selling-them ones).
With my knowledge and experience now, if I were to buy a new single vessel unit, I would go for the guten again. Overall, they are both much of a muchness in their current forms and very similar. The one thing that sets them apart in my mind is the ability to set variable wattage on the guten, whereas my understanding of the brewzilla is that you have a choice of one or both of the set strength elements, and nothing in between.
In the end though, even that probably doesn't matter too much, so I wouldn't say no to either of them if they were offered to me.

The one thing that sets them apart in my mind is the ability to set variable wattage on the guten, whereas my understanding of the brewzilla is that you have a choice of one or both of the set strength elements, and nothing in between.
Maybe it is because I came from a Robo, but with the Guten I use 3000w for ramping and boiling and 1000w for mashing, nothing else. To me the variable thing makes no difference, I may as well have a 1000w and 2000w switch. Do you find that you use many different settings?

What about the whole, "making fake accounts to do exactly that" thing though?

Bit rich to take the highroad now isnt it
People in glass houses throwing stones? That will go down real well. If I wanted I have a lot of stuff I could put up but frankly will that help the people here who are genuinely interested to get answers and enjoy their brewing? So I let it go and let the real contributors here get on with it. No need for claques who are looking for cheap shots and have no interest in discussing brewing and brewing equipment.

Hey folks, thank you for all of the feedback on both of these systems.I did not know that I was going to create a cat fight by resurrecting an old thread. I found this thread by using the search function, so as to learn from everyone else's experiences with both units.

I have been reading about these a lot lately. I see positives and negatives of both of the systems. However, the one thing that is clear to me is that both are a much better value than the grainfather. The build quality of the GF does not warrant the increased cost to me.

I reckon I will be happy with either the Guten or Brewzilla, although 50lt seems like the perfect size for me.

The driving factor will be which one my LHBS has in stock as neither the KK or KL sites let me order direct for shipping to NZ on their web site.

In the meantime, I have to get ready for a big brew day this Sunday. Maybe if I am lucky it will be in one vessel.

Hey folks, thank you for all of the feedback on both of these systems.I did not know that I was going to create a cat fight by resurrecting an old thread. I found this thread by using the search function, so as to learn from everyone else's experiences with both units.

I have been reading about these a lot lately. I see positives and negatives of both of the systems. However, the one thing that is clear to me is that both are a much better value than the grainfather. The build quality of the GF does not warrant the increased cost to me.

I reckon I will be happy with either the Guten or Brewzilla, although 50lt seems like the perfect size for me.

The driving factor will be which one my LHBS has in stock as neither the KK or KL sites let me order direct for shipping to NZ on their web site.

In the meantime, I have to get ready for a big brew day this Sunday. Maybe if I am lucky it will be in one vessel.
Give Cory at The Brewhouse a call in Wellington and he should be able to help you. No catfight from this side as we have no interest.

Latest posts

Back