Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, thought I’d chuck my preliminary thoughts up after just picking up my new 40L guten after selling my Robobrew v3.
Why I upgraded: bigger capacity (+5L), better circuit components and reliability, wider and less tall( better recirculation and boiloff), build quality, introductory price ($380, and sold my RB3 for $300 without the ss coil).

Initial thoughts:
-for essentially the same thing, the Guten has MUCH better build quality than the RB3. No sharp edges, MIRROR finish, good machining, rolled edges
IMG_1536641073.822444.jpg
IMG_1536641131.520059.jpg

-I don’t like the pump inlet has no filter though, might be a bitch for whirlpooling (may eventually upgrade the pump since there seems to be room and rought the tap port to the pump instead so I can put a helix on the 1/2 thread). The included bazooka tube is almost useless as a filter.
IMG_1536641046.252474.jpg

Also a little kinked and shoddy:
IMG_1536641544.310826.jpg

-I can see why the guten switches would be a problem
IMG_1536641101.297785.jpg

-Malt pipe centre tube seems more rigid and less likely to fall off mid-brew than the RB3
IMG_1536641002.636030.jpg

-no identifiable compliance numbers on the Guten (I couldn’t care less)

-guten panel shows ‘boiling’ instead of having to just put it on an unobtainable number like 110*c you had to do with RB3
View attachment 113542
Also makes audible noises and beeps when pressing buttons

-calibrated right out of the box (for me anyway)View attachment 113543

-variable powers nice, would be handy for boiling/distilling small volumes (like spirit runs)

-guten has a PCB across port and
IMG_1536640908.732110.jpg

-guten included chiller probably still shit but more compact and sits lower than the RB3 one, and the arms hang next to each other rather than either side of the kettle
IMG_1536641255.677018.jpg

-guten recirculation arm is short and sharp with a nice angle so you lose less heat, takes less space, and gets a nice top of grain bed whirlpool/homengenisation going which would help fight channeling and uneven temps throughout mash (assuming all else goes well)

-guten measurements are in 5l increments and by all reports are in accurate as hell
IMG_1536641413.045075.jpg

-guten hook brackets seem less secured too - will be very careful with a full wet basket!
IMG_1536641617.010406.jpg

-no rusting on malt pipe seams like I had on my RB3
IMG_1536641665.314466.jpg

However, bottom screen is almost too small and almost pops through:View attachment 113538 its literally hanging on by less than 1mm

-would be nice if guten had a notch in the centre of the handle so it stays balanced if you’re using a pulley system, it does have end notches though so won’t come off the handle

-lid on guten fits nicer and has far more practical knobs than the RB3.
BUT! Hard to remove lid when the arm’s attached and removes any and all efficacy of the arms nice angle (goes directly into middle..?)
IMG_1536641831.356208.jpg
IMG_1536641850.418004.jpg
View attachment 113539
RB was nice in that you could lift the lid and rest it on the square arm to inspect/adjust pipe/stir mash without turning everything off and disconnecting
RB was also better in that you could attach some silicone hose and coil it on top of grain bed, attach a whirlpool arm with a short bit of silicone tube and also was better for recirculating cleaning water and washing down the sides with the hose.
The RB3 pipe was multi-component though and did come loose on a couple of occasions at the joints and bracketsView attachment 113540View attachment 113541
I dremeled off the little tab that was interfering with the lid: did shit all hahaView attachment 113544

With all that said, would I buy the guten over the RB3? Yes. Even at the non-introductory price.
Would I sell my working RB3 for a Guten? Probably yes again. Worth it if build quality/finish, more features of the controller (some are gimmicky though), an extra 5 litres capacity are important for you.
The RB3 is still an excellent machine though and you will be happy with both, but I chose and like the Guten more even before using it.

Suggested improvements/mods:
-some sort of pump inlet filter or false bottom (had issues with the temp probe reading wrong temps under the false bottom during chilling though even with whirlpooling (reading 45 instead of 17). Will soon install a helix and rerout pump input from tap.
-better chiller.
-better interaction between lid and recirculation arm.

Last edited:
Awesome overview and pics - Looking at it my concerns too are the switches not being protected and looking a bit cheap.

Those hook brackets do look like they could snap at any moment as well.

I also don't understand the cable box underneath it....It just looks like you're going to bend the sh1t out of your power cable getting it in there and screw up the wiring in it. Would be better if it was a detachable power cable.

It certainly does look like its a better quality than the RB though so far.

I wonder if they actually will have a GUTEN V2 with some improvements based on feedback. Or just keep running with the same thing. Definitely a pro of the RB that they seem to listen to feedback and put it in the new model.

Awesome overview and pics - Looking at it my concerns too are the switches not being protected and looking a bit cheap.

Those hook brackets do look like they could snap at any moment as well.

I also don't understand the cable box underneath it....It just looks like you're going to bend the sh1t out of your power cable getting it in there and screw up the wiring in it. Would be better if it was a detachable power cable.

It certainly does look like its a better quality than the RB though so far.

I wonder if they actually will have a GUTEN V2 with some improvements based on feedback. Or just keep running with the same thing. Definitely a pro of the RB that they seem to listen to feedback and put it in the new model.

If you were packing it away long term it would be handy. In my experience with the RB, it seems it will be most useful when cleaning the vessel keep g the cable out of the way. It is a tight fit but the cable has a rubberised feel to it and is adequately flexible. Other stuff will likely fail before the cable does anyway.
I can’t foresee any shortcomings of this version a little DIY ingenuity couldn’t fix (for now anyway)

Thanks nathanvonbeerenstein for your critique on the Guten.

My view is that number 4 stainless steel ( brushed) is far more forgiving than 2B( polished). It will now be extremely hard to keep the lovely shine.

The lid on the Guten sucks, as you need to turn off the pump to remove.
The switches ???
Pump inlet????
Removal of wort at/ after whirlpool on both units as standard items will allow trub to flow thru to fermenter or cube.

It all comes down to workable volume, a 23 litre batch really needs a 35 litre vessel to allow for boil off and trub.

We need to remember that these units are based/ aimed at the novice brewer. Not to say they don't work. But separate vessel brewing 3or 4 vessel, produces cleaner/ more precise wort.

I have a robo and I brew beer using 5 kg of malt , not using any gravity readings. Just make beer quickly.

I looked at the intro price and thought do I go for it ??? not really much more or less than I already have.

The robo chiller got my wort to 19.5 in 28 minutes on Saturday. Not bad..

A couple of notes having had my guten about 18m now, never had an issue with hooks at all, I've never had the lower grain holder fall through either and unless it did your not going to get grain in your wort unless your doing s large volume with the top plate off and some slips through the overflow.

I also place a silicon hose over the recirc output and lay it around the edge of the top of the top plate so the water circulates rather than drops straight onto the plate.

It's biggest issue is undoubtedly the shit bazooka and switches other than that it's a solid reliable machine that's easy to use.

I've never used any of the other single vessel systems so I've nothing to compare it to but I've been happy with my purchase.

If you were packing it away long term it would be handy. In my experience with the RB, it seems it will be most useful when cleaning the vessel keep g the cable out of the way. It is a tight fit but the cable has a rubberised feel to it and is adequately flexible. Other stuff will likely fail before the cable does anyway.
I can’t foresee any shortcomings of this version a little DIY ingenuity couldn’t fix (for now anyway)

Definitely useful when I’ve been cleaning it. Don’t have to worry about the cable dragging around. Just have to remember to pull it out prior to filling it up

Suggested improvements/mods:
-some sort of pump inlet filter or false bottom (had issues with the temp probe reading wrong temps under the false bottom during chilling though even with whirlpooling (reading 45 instead of 17). Will soon install a helix and rerout pump input from tap.
-better chiller.
-better interaction between lid and recirculation arm.

There is an inlet filter and also a whirlpool attachment as extras, though the inlet filter could cause more headaches if it got blocked and leaving no way for any grain to get back onto the grain bed.

But separate vessel brewing 3or 4 vessel, produces cleaner/ more precise wort.

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks.
Wort will come out exactly the same from either. How 'clean' or precise the wort is from either a Guten/RB/GF/Brau vs multi vessel brewing comes down to how well the brewer knows their system, understands their volumes/efficiencies/etc.
Simply saying that that multi vessel brewing is better than single vessel (with absolutely no reasoning or evidence to back it up) is just pure bullshit

I decided on the Guten after seeing both the Robobrew3 and it in person - the build of the Guten looked better to me and as I think I've said before
the programming options seemed to make better sense.

The only thing I dislike about the Guten is that pissy little bazooka - that's going to be replaced very quickly.

My first mods - even before actually using it for a while will be:
Replace bazooka with a helix.
Replace the SS pump return pipe with a "sight tube" eg. silicon tube with measured fluid marks on it so I can see my volumes when the pump is off.
oops edit: And of course make a jacket for it.

The chiller? if I do use one, I'll use my homemade copper one as it fits and has way more surface area than the one supplied with the unit.

I'm not sold on the inlet filter idea - could cause more problems than it solves.

As for the recirc arm/lid issue mentioned before - I don't personally see it as a problem, but if it is - this might fix it :D
https://www.kegland.com.au/robobrew-gen3-recirculation-pipe-assembly-camlock-upgrade.html

If the switches cause a problem, I'm sure they can be replaced with more robust ones fairly easily.

The whirlpool upgrade... is that the one that requires drilling a hole and rerouting the pump - or is there an off the shelf mod?
If it involves butchering the unit I'll wait and see if I need it.

Last edited:
Could you please link me said inlet filter please WEAL?

Had a brew today and had a MUCH better experience than with the RB.
Ran the pump wide open throughout the mash and it drained every bit of it. I did use 250g rice hulls though.
Also just attached the included silicone elbow to get it rotating above the grain bed and have just pooped around a length of tube to whirlpool during my whirlpool steeping.
250gm’s of loose pellet hops for a 23L batch so far and the pump hasn’t even flinched.
IMG_1536728648.740546.jpg
IMG_1536728657.464902.jpg

I will post up a pic of the filter tomorrow, in answer to Altone the whirlpool is an off the shelf product, I expect if the demand is there it will be made available.

We have been testing the 50L Guten at the shop now for a week alongside a RB 3 and GF. Good unit but am very concerned by the malt pipe handle. The handle seems too small and has slipped off a few times which I reckon is dangerous. It does not seem to seat well enough. Anyone else had this issue? Also found we needed to insulate to get a rolling boil. Other than that very happy with it after fitting s Helix.

Great! Not sure I'll need it anyway, but do you have a link by any chance?
Send an email to Sandy she may have a photo I would be interested to see if there is any alterations to be done.
The pump filter.
filter 001.JPG
I don't mind the return pipe for the Guten but if any mods were going to be made this would be preferable.
7ae8c49083561815ed1cb406805d6a47.jpg

Could you please link me said inlet filter please WEAL?

Had a brew today and had a MUCH better experience than with the RB.
Ran the pump wide open throughout the mash and it drained every bit of it. I did use 250g rice hulls though.
Also just attached the included silicone elbow to get it rotating above the grain bed and have just pooped around a length of tube to whirlpool during my whirlpool steeping.
250gm’s of loose pellet hops for a 23L batch so far and the pump hasn’t even flinched.
View attachment 113550View attachment 113551
Nathan
I have only done one or two brews on my beast so no expert , Anyways if you run the pump to hard and the wort doesnt drain back quick enough to cover the element it will scorch dont ask me how i know this , Also i had a funny taste in my beer a few years ago from useing poxy green hose pipe so be carefull with that , I was very impressed how easy to use this thing is compared to my 3 v system
however the proof will be when i taste the beer

B

Back