Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bit the bullet and made the purchase just now. So, I just through some PBW in there and am heating the water up to get rid of the oils / etc...
This seems to go up to 3kw, which would be too high of an amperage for the average home circuit? I thought most houses were wired for 10 - 15amp. So, I am running the warm up at 2.4kw right now. Am I wrong in this? Could I get a boil on 2.4kw?

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and made the purchase just now. So, I just through some PBW in there and am heating the water up to get rid of the oils / etc...
This seems to go up to 3kw, which would be too high of an amperage for the average home circuit? I thought most houses were wired for 10 - 15amp. So, I am running the warm up at 2.4kw right now. Am I wrong in this? Could I get a boil on 2.4kw?
Take it you have the 50 litre, I boil on 2.5kw, but I have the hood.

Take it you have the 50 litre, I boil on 2.5kw, but I have the hood.
Mate, I appreciate you answering yet again. I apologize for so many questions about this thing.
Yeah, I got the 50L model. I am guess you use a normal household circuit, so if 2.5kw is working for you, then I am within a safety margin, :)
I hope to take a few pics and post my experiences on a new thread since I am now deviating from the original thread.
This is going to be a different world than 3 vessel, but I sure look forward to an easier brew day!

I thought the 50L came with a 15a plug?
Or are you using some sort of power controller thing?
It does come with a 15 amp plug, I use an adapter, I am on a 15 amp circuit but don't take the kw to the max, same with the 40 litre never found a need to go more than 2 kw, except for getting it to dough in temp.

240v 10 amp GPO's (general purpose outlet) are wired up with 30 amp cable, that's why you can have your toast and tea at the same time on the same circuit, 2 x 2400W @ 240v = 20amps! It's why your fuse on a power circuit is usually 32 amps, so all this hand wringing about 15 amps into a GPO is a bit of a nonsense, use that rarest of commodities "common sense" and don't overload the whole circuit, if in doubt flick the fuse and see what doesn't work anymore, then at least you know exactly what is on that fuse. Usual disclaimer "not to be operated by fktards" and if you're not happy crossing the road by yourself then don't.

..., use that rarest of commodities "common sense" and don't overload the whole circuit....
That is asking a whole lot from me. :p
Having said that, what you are saying makes sense. I can run a 2.4kw oil column heater to warm up the bedroom and use my computer at the same time. Nevertheless, the wiring in this garage looks a bit dodgy to me, so I will just run the system at 2.4kw, and not run anything else on the same circuit at the time.
I have a mate that is a Sparky, and when this lockdown business is over, he will be coming by to check my circuit and let me know what is safe. I reckon it is better to err on the side of safety.

I’m tossing up between the 40 and 50L guten and equivalent Brewzilla.
Leaning towards to 50L as more power means a quicker brew day. In only intended on single batches. Does anyone do this on the 50L? What’s the dead space volume under the maltpipe ?

I’m tossing up between the 40 and 50L guten and equivalent Brewzilla.
Leaning towards to 50L as more power means a quicker brew day. In only intended on single batches. Does anyone do this on the 50L? What’s the dead space volume under the maltpipe ?
Never measured mine, 50 and 40 litre Gutens are the same diameter, some say it is 8 litres others say 9 litres.

Never measured mine, 50 and 40 litre Gutens are the same diameter, some say it is 8 litres others say 9 litres.
I never measured either, but it looks like it could easily be 8L.

I did find using the guten was overall ok. However, I did have a frustrating moment when water just seemed like it would not go through the chiller for some reason. It just kept building pressure, and spraying water back into the wort. Of course I freaked out at the moment due to infection concerns. The funny thing is that I switched which hose fed the chiller with the hose the was the exit, and it flowed fine. I have no idea why. I also found that the worm clamps I had were not the greatest at gripping tight enough to prevent any leakage. So, in the short run I will by new clamps. In the long run, I will likely go CFC for cooling the wort.

I posted the recipe earlier today. :) Now to work on the video.

Get compression fittings, and screw on hose fittings, jubilee clips (worm clamps) are rubbish for anything under 25mm, and not much good for bigger, still having trouble getting my head around the fact weal has them.
Weal has them because they are cheap, easy, and they work as I said previously 2 clamps on inlet and outlet. I tried 1 on each which didn't work so unfortunately had to fork out for 2 more.:(

Let me "edumacate" you gents on thrifty hose clamps that are better than bought stuff and don't leak!
Having spent half my life as a farmer, I learned the value of having a roll of tie wire and a decent pair of pliers always on hand.
Behold the Bow-Tie-Wire Clamp!

DSC_0206.JPGDSC_0207.JPG
Take enough wire to go around about 3 times, but only go around 1 & 1/2 times
DSC_0208.JPG
Then decide which way you are going to twist and cross wire swords to suit and twist a few turns to tighten it up, try to have the knot over the other wire strap
DSC_0209.JPGDSC_0210.JPG
Trim the whiskers, and with thin nose pliers make a nice little loop so it doesn't catch on things (like flesh!)

DSC_0212.JPGDSC_0213.JPGDSC_0214.JPGDSC_0215.JPG
And there you have it.
If it doesn't quite seal at first, grab the pliers and give it a 1/4 turn or so, if you twist to many times, the tie wire will fatigue break, then you have to do it again, you will get the feel of it in a few goes. I find it way better and easier than worm drive hose clamps.
Hope this short tutorial helps the frugal brewer out there!
Now time for a refill.........:drinkingbeer:
DSC_0216.JPG

Last edited:
I never measured either, but it looks like it could easily be 8L.

I did find using the guten was overall ok. However, I did have a frustrating moment when water just seemed like it would not go through the chiller for some reason. It just kept building pressure, and spraying water back into the wort. Of course I freaked out at the moment due to infection concerns. The funny thing is that I switched which hose fed the chiller with the hose the was the exit, and it flowed fine. I have no idea why. I also found that the worm clamps I had were not the greatest at gripping tight enough to prevent any leakage. So, in the short run I will by new clamps. In the long run, I will likely go CFC for cooling the wort.

I posted the recipe earlier today. :) Now to work on the video.
I have the 40Lt Guten which I fill with a 9 Lt watering can
The first fill with the watering can just gets the bottom screen of the malt pipe covered with water when I use the full 9Lt of water so maybe 8.75 Lt to the bottom of the screen

I own a Grainfather for the past two years have done 43 brews and have had no equipment failure. Some things that could be improved is the pump filter should be larger and filtered finer. The ball valve gets blocked from time to time when you do big hoppy beers.
The electronic controller works great.
The silicon seal on the strainers can be to push to the bottom of the barrel without coming off.
The coil cooler works great. The blue tooth component works well.

Latest posts

Back