Robobrew Gen 3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleabag

Reaction score
Hi all

Last weekend I attempted a new, but my Robobrew Gen 3 kept throwing an E2 error code.

So during the week I ordered and received a new circuit board with the instruction to just ‘swap the wires over one at a time’.

Only problem is the wiring is a different configuration (instead of a group of 4 then 5, it’s the other way around). I’ve tried a couple of ways and nothing works.

I really would like to be brewing with this today (Saturday). Bit of a Hail Mary, but does anyone here have a wiring diagram, or a photo, or some form of instruction how to change over the old circuit board to the new one?

Thanks,
Lee

I seem to recall you having a problem with the Robobrew V3 a couple of months back, is this the same problem or another problem?
Maybe if you uploaded a photo you may be able to get some help, if it has a warranty and you are not confident of replacing the circuit board ask for a new unit and send yours back.

I seem to recall you having a problem with the Robobrew V3 a couple of months back, is this the same problem or another problem?
Maybe if you uploaded a photo you may be able to get some help, if it has a warranty and you are not confident of replacing the circuit board ask for a new unit and send yours back.

Good memory. Same issue - new parts intended to solve it. Replacing the board in theory is easy as it’s all screws, no solder. However the wiring configuration on the new board is different, and no clue has been provided as to what goes where.

See pic below (new board left, old board right)

IMG_7298.jpg

Hey brotha, flick me a PM with your email. Got a copy here.. had similar issues with my old one.

Cheers

There has been quite a few toxic user reviews of the Robobrew coming out of the USA with similar problems. One guy on homebrewtalk was given a Robobrew FOC to write a review, his lasted 7 brews, on the 7th midway through the boil one of the elements carked it could be related to the circuit board.
Interesting that only a few months after the Robobrew G 3 release they have a new circuit board, probably have had a number of problems relating to the old one.
I notice that there are 9 terminals on both boards, logic would tell me to wire the new one as the old one, otherwise call KL and ask them how to connect it.

I don’t want this to be a bad review of the Robo, because I really do like the thing.

I understand that at this price point maybe some Chinese circuit boards will fault, and I can accept that. I don’t think at this price you’ve bought the right to complain, so hopefully the customer service is there to cover the gap. And tbf KegLand were very helpful on the phone when I told them the problem and they sent me the parts - only issue was they just said I could swap the wires over, when looking at it the wires are in a different configuration and nothing I’ve tried works.

May be a silly question but have you tried connecting it up as the old one?

Can’t. There’s a group of 4 wires, then a group of 5 on the old board. On the new board it is reversed - 5,4. The plugs for the group of 5 are larger and don’t fit in the terminals of the group of 4.

So, I tried mirroring it, didn’t work. Straight swapping 5 to 5 and 4 to 4. Didn’t work. Atm I have it wired so at least it isn’t tripping the fuse any more, but the display isn’t turning on and there are no signs of it turning on.

@Fleabag Have you sent that image to Kegland and asked for assistance - they will surely know which wire goes where.

You could try sending to [email protected] and maybe cc to kee@ just for good measure.

Even expensive stuff breaks sometimes, as long as they help you sort the issue then all good.
That reminds me, the wifes BMW has been recalled for dodgy airbags - gotta book it in somewhere pretty quickly.

I don’t think at this price you’ve bought the right to complain

Sorry but this is a crazy thing to think and very anti-consumer.

You've purchased an item in it's third revision and are not disappointed it has failed after 6 uses?

The price point is irrelevant if a local supplier is selling the item, they have accepted the risk of low quality parts or poor quality control and are willing to still make a profit on the item and sell it to you. You could easily have this imported from China and save a fair chunk of change but it's bought local for the consumer's guarantee required by law (which by the way you'd be able to claim your breakdown under even if it's outside the 1 or 2 year "warranty" period, a circuit board should reasonably last 10+ years I'd expect).

Unless you've been in some way instrumental to the damage to the board (you are being cagey around the warranty period) you have EVERY RIGHT to complain.

Rant over.

In their defence, they offered to install the part themselves, but I needed it fast and said I could do it if it was easy. It just lacked instructions, which I received today.

And yes, this could have been done under warranty, but due to the convoluted way I came about this it would have been a massive headache.

So undoing some screws & swapping parts isn’t a massive job, but lacking instructions made it an impossible task.

Here they are btw:

IMG_7325.jpg

Wow, the way those wires go on the new board is nothing like the order from the original. No wonder you had no luck getting it to work.

Back