Robobrew blue screen of death

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Harbour-Bridge

Reaction score
I have a robobrew I bought from keg king in December 2016 last weekend when chilling my brew the screen just went blank, I thought no problem just switch off and on again. However it will not display normally, nor does beep when the power is switched on like it used to do, any ideas how I can fix this?

Buy a Guten.:)

giphy.gif

Well past its warranty, they have a mountain of returns of the G2 its a wonder there is still any left in circulation, was never approved according to the false approval number on the G2.

Well past its warranty, they have a mountain of returns of the G2 its a wonder there is still any left in circulation, was never approved according to the false approval number on the G2.
Interesting, I can't find any information about their warranty policy. Since you know what it is can you please link to it?
If it's two years, then no, it's not outside warranty and a repair is in order

Yeah, no electrical problems with the Guten.

Where's that sarcasm font..

Yeah I've already ordered new switches from Jaycar for when the originals kark it.
Still happy with it though.

Wasn't someone flogging Robobrew v3 boards and displays or am I dreaming again?
If it's out of warranty at least that would fix it.

Did have what I presume was the same thing once, turned power off and back on and came good. Was concerned it might be ongoing but never happened again.

Interesting, I can't find any information about their warranty policy. Since you know what it is can you please link to it?
If it's two years, then no, it's not outside warranty and a repair is in order
Its been mentioned before in the Robobrew threads on here regarding a one year warranty, just email KK they will confirm it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have looked inside, there is nothing obviously wrong other than dried wort down the side of the screen.

I think it is beyond the warranty period, KK only say 1 year for the Guten but I don't have the receipt either.

I think KL were offering spares, can't see them on their website.

I'm not to keen on the Guten as it is not available at KK yet (if I can't brew I will have a beer famine) and seems to have a very large volume of water below the grain bed that would dilute the enzymes and makes infusions difficult, perhaps someone can confirm what the volume is. But mainly it is$499 which I don't want to at the moment.

My most cunning plan at the moment is to buy the KL robobrew type urn for $150 and use my existing robobrew bits on it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have looked inside, there is nothing obviously wrong other than dried wort down the side of the screen.

I think it is beyond the warranty period, KK only say 1 year for the Guten but I don't have the receipt either.

I think KL were offering spares, can't see them on their website.

I'm not to keen on the Guten as it is not available at KK yet (if I can't brew I will have a beer famine) and seems to have a very large volume of water below the grain bed that would dilute the enzymes and makes infusions difficult, perhaps someone can confirm what the volume is. But mainly it is$499 which I don't want to at the moment.

My most cunning plan at the moment is to buy the KL robobrew type urn for $150 and use my existing robobrew bits on it.
What about the thermal cut out switch, those bi metal strips often weld themselves to the contact, did you notice anything wrong on the last brew?

You shouldn't need a receipt if you payed by card, they should be able to match the transaction on their end. It's worth asking the question before parting with money.

I will give them a call.

Why not ring up keg king and ask if they have a replacement board? Shouldn't be expensive if they still have some.

Thanks that's a good idea

What about the thermal cut out switch, those bi metal strips often weld themselves to the contact, did you notice anything wrong on the last brew?

No Bi anything in my robobrew, all white heterosexual male stuff for me. Did have one of those thermal cut outs fail in my urn though, I will have sparky son look at it I think. Had all the thermal issues with caked crud over the base of the robobrew and water in the electronics before but these have been easily fixed, not the same this time.

Keg king quoted $120 to fit a replacement second hand board - they don't have new ones, i was told.

Keg king quoted $120 to fit a replacement second hand board - they don't have new ones, i was told.
A lot of bucks for a shitty used board.
Have you spoken to Kegland to see if they can supply one of the new boards? I'd expect they would have spares.

Just because KegKing says it's a 1 year warranty, doesn't mean it is. You should expect a reasonable lifetime out of the product and that's a consumer's right by law.

Back