Robinox 36l - Any Experiences?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Need to replace my boiler. The Brewiki site had mentioned this pot Robinox 36L Stainless Steel stockpot Good price but not easy for me to get to.

Anyone bought this? Is it a solid unit - one to last a lifetime? Is there a decent base on it? My current boiler was a rash buy - dirt cheap and paper thin and guess what, lasted less than a year. <_<

Also anyone added a tap? Easy enough?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

You still cant beat the converted 50lt keg. good thick steel!

Boots has access to Robinox SS 50 and 50 ltr pots.

36 is too small in my opinion.

Another option is to look for an old copper washer.

$50.00 got me an old 200L copper hot water tank, Cut in half gave me two 75L pots. It was necessary to spend a day with the welder making up a support frame with 3/8" steel rod but thats half the fun of it all. The outer cladding and insulation also came in handy by reducing heating times by 40%. Look at my profile for a photo. I'm the old bloke with a pipe. Dont mind my son!

As for adding a tap, I took my SS mash pot along to a sheetmetal fabricator and he charged me $20 cash to weld in a 1/2" nipple. The nipple and valve cost another twenty odd dollars.

Those 70L stainless steel Robinox stock pots are a pretty good price - I suppose it's not too hard (or expensive) to get a threaded valve welded onto it?

checked out your profile photo tony.excellent setup.that split copper hot water tank certainly looks the goods.loved your sons hair cut.

and welcome to the ahb forum tony.im sure you will enjoy it.

cheers
big d

I've always been scared I was going to wake up with a haircut like that after drinking to much brew.

Welcome Tony M

Rubes said:
Need to replace my boiler. The Brewiki site had mentioned this pot Robinox 36L Stainless Steel stockpot Good price but not easy for me to get to.

Anyone bought this? Is it a solid unit - one to last a lifetime? Is there a decent base on it? My current boiler was a rash buy - dirt cheap and paper thin and guess what, lasted less than a year. <_<

Also anyone added a tap? Easy enough?
Rubes,

There is a place down on Cheltenham rd (catering equipment) that sells robinox pots. You can check out how solid they are. They are as solid as the brick shithouse but they were a cool $236. Caveat - my memory isn't the greatest so there are no guarantees that the ones at allquip are the same.

Adding a tap shouldn't be too difficult although with a really solid pot you just need enough compliance in the washers to seal in spite of the curvature (or get it welded).

You can get big aluminium pots in Fitzroy.

Oh yes and I reckon that brewiki site it great too :D although I hear the guy that put it together is a total wanker.

Yuck! This is going to take weeks of heavy beer binging to blot that picture out.

Top site though Sosman!

Those are pretty good prices.

Adelaidians - I can source these robinox (roband) pots for marginally cheaper ($5-$15), as well as some other nice stainless stuff. (as well as aluminium ones for cheaper)

If you're looking for some stainless equipment let me know.

I have also heard that there is a professional catering store on payneham road that sell this kind of stuff as well as second hand.

Copper Washer in Adelaide.

theres a Bric a Brac shop in Birdwood - main road.

Up the back - outside the shed is an old electric copper washer
It is approx 50 -75ltrs.
Element is still there but plug is cut off the lead.
Asking 60.00 - should be able to get it for 50.00....

Very specific question that I can't find the answer to and this seems as good a thread as any to tack it onto:

I am looking at buying a 36L stock pot for a boiler. I can get aluminium for around 12,000 yen (call it $130) or 316 SS (0.9 mm thick) for 15,000 yen (call it $150).

The question is: would the 0.9 mm be fairly robust and good enough? Would heat distribution on the bottom be adequate? My sense is it probably would be OK, but just thought I'd check, because this seems a very good price. Anyone with experience of store-bought s/steel boilers, please share your experience.

Steve Lacey said:
Very specific question that I can't find the answer to and this seems as good a thread as any to tack it onto:

I am looking at buying a 36L stock pot for a boiler. I can get aluminium for around 12,000 yen (call it $130) or 316 SS (0.9 mm thick) for 15,000 yen (call it $150).

The question is: would the 0.9 mm be fairly robust and good enough? Would heat distribution on the bottom be adequate? My sense is it probably would be OK, but just thought I'd check, because this seems a very good price. Anyone with experience of store-bought s/steel boilers, please share your experience.
[post="115901"][/post]​

I have a small s/s stock pot that I would guess is about 1 mm thick that I used when I first started brewing, the problem I found was scorching on the base. At the time I was only using a 2 ring gas burner so it wasn't too bad, but when I upgraded to the 3 ring burner the scorching was worse. It is very robust and is still in excellent condition several years down the track.

Cheers
Andrew

G'day Steve, how's things mate? :)

Andrew is right. You'll find some form of scorching will occur on the base but it shouldn't be enough to worry about.

I use a 15 litre 0.9mm base S/S pot to do my starters. When I sit it on my NASA (turkey) burner you can actually see the lines of the NASA frame cooked into the metal (read scorching). A lot would depend on what burner you use obviously.

Still not sure why people shy away from Aluminium. :unsure: It may be cheap, it may have the obvious lack of durability compared to S/S but it heats beautifully and evenly. Not even the slightest sign of scorching either. :beerbang:

Warren -

Hi Warren, yep, things are pretty good, thanks. Funny you say that about the aluminium as I was fairly determined to buy that in the first place. This s/s just seemd a good buy. But I might go back to Al on the strength of yours and Andrew's experience with scorching.

I think people don't so much as shy away from Al as are drawn to stainless because it is shiny and pretty. We are such simple creatures at heart :)

I bought a 36l Robinox from Gibsons & Patterson in Perth for about $110. That was on sale, but the normal price is about $125 from memory. That is stainless, riveted handles, lid, thick base etc, etc.

Gibpat

Also try Syd & Bris

AndrewQLD said:
I have a small s/s stock pot that I would guess is about 1 mm thick that I used when I first started brewing, the problem I found was scorching on the base. At the time I was only using a 2 ring gas burner so it wasn't too bad, but when I upgraded to the 3 ring burner the scorching was worse.
[post="115903"][/post]​

The Robinox SS pots have a very thick base, I think it's actually got a block of copper encased in the SS bottom to distribute the heat and avoiding scorching.

I also got one of the 36 lt Robinox units from Gibson and Patersons for $110 and I find it no dramas to do 33lt boils (23lt batches)

What I do is after the first run from the mash tun (17/19lt) I bring that to the boil (3 ring burner) while the second sparge is resting (about 10 mins) and find that there is plenty of room to control the potential foam boil over. I aslo find that after this first boil and when I complete the second run from the mash tun to get my 32/33 lt full boil volume that there is little or no excesisve foam head when it comes back to the boil.

I also find that spraying the initial foam with water from a small sprayer collapses the foam back into the boil very quickely.

Cheers

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back