Roasting Green Coffee Beans for coffee and beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ciderman said:
Lots of labour by the looks of it! Can't wait to try!
It's just the hulling is the worst. Smelling nice and creamy after roasting. I'll give em a day to degas and give one a chew. Forgot to mention, the fruit (after pulping) is in the freezer to lob into a sour. Why not go the whole hog...maybe even a sour coffee stout. :beerbang:

I can roast 500g in the original Behmor in summer. At this of the year i drop it back to 400g. Roast 3-4 batches a week for home and work. Bean green and coffeesnobs for beans.

Edit - original Behmor doesn't have the annoying fail safe function so i can hit start, set alarm on my phone and come back 15 mins later before first crack.

I was going to have a crack (pun!) at coffee roasting about six years ago, and bought a random 1kg bag of green beans at a market in southern NSW while on holidays.

That's as far as I got. I've still got those green beans in the sealed plastic bag they came in (not vac sealed though).

Would they still be any good to roast? How long do green beans last?

madpierre06 said:
It's just the hulling is the worst. Smelling nice and creamy after roasting. I'll give em a day to degas and give one a chew. Forgot to mention, the fruit (after pulping) is in the freezer to lob into a sour. Why not go the whole hog...maybe even a sour coffee stout. :beerbang:

Did one of those food trail things in a bus up here a few years back

Stopped at a coffee roaster at Maclean. That was interesting :)

He leaves his beans for to weeks after roasting them, and he doesnt do French Roast either

Coffee grows really well up here but you need that good red soil for it to go really well, a rather nice looking shrub actually :)

goomboogo said:
Great stuff madpierre. What roaster did you use?
Hottop. Does a great job, and goes like an old HQ...forever. Touchwood.

Feldon said:
I was going to have a crack (pun!) at coffee roasting about six years ago, and bought a random 1kg bag of green beans at a market in southern NSW while on holidays.

That's as far as I got. I've still got those green beans in the sealed plastic bag they came in (not vac sealed though).

Would they still be any good to roast? How long do green beans last?
I've done green beans that had been sitting in the cupboard for about 3 or 4 years...they came up ok, but did seem to have something lacking in the flavour, or mayeb that was just me. They were still servgiceable though, and had been stored in cotton bags (the coffeesnobs ones).

Ducatiboy stu said:
Did one of those food trail things in a bus up here a few years back

Stopped at a coffee roaster at Maclean. That was interesting :)

He leaves his beans for to weeks after roasting them, and he doesnt do French Roast either

Coffee grows really well up here but you need that good red soil for it to go really well, a rather nice looking shrub actually :)
I've seen that done, the shrubbery thing, they look pretty neat when they're trimmed and done that way. Plus it's easier to get to the cherries if you want to harvest 'em. They can also be used as a sacrifice if the need arises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

Well i made my first coffee. Tasted pretty plain as an espresso so topped it up with milk. Sure ive had better coffee but its cool to know that its come from my own back yard. Tastes even sweeter that madpierre has taken care of all the labour! Thanks mate!

1467245362501.jpg

1467245380051.jpg

Looking at the extraction, I'd say you roasted a tad too dark. Try backing it off next time to get more body. A roast that is too dark will be thin and hard to extract correctly. You can tell if you have gone too far if the roasted beans develop an oily surface. I never intentionally let my roasts as far as second crack. I usually stop well before there - if I happen to hear second crack I immediately dump the beans from the roaster and cool them as fast as possible.

There's no harm in going to 2nd crack if the beans warrant it, particularly early in the crack. From my experience, I get better body by going into the darker profiles as 95% of my coffees are espresso. If I'm going to be using the aeropress, then I certainly will go lighter. This batch were dumped right at start of 2nd, and came up a nice matte brown colour so they certainly weren't over roasted. I've had beans that actually went at their best when taken to rolling 2nd crack,

Well I don't roast my own coffee or anything like that (working on a malt plant is enough extracurricular stuff from brewing to ensure I have negative spare time!), but I am about to infuse a doppelbock with coffee.

Plan to use 250g or so in a 19L batch. Cold steeped.

Can anyone recommend a type/brand of bean/roast that's more on the sweet, full and chocolatey side?

klangers said:
Well I don't roast my own coffee or anything like that (working on a malt plant is enough extracurricular stuff from brewing to ensure I have negative spare time!), but I am about to infuse a doppelbock with coffee.

Plan to use 250g or so in a 19L batch. Cold steeped.

Can anyone recommend a type/brand of bean/roast that's more on the sweet, full and chocolatey side?
This blend is always a beauty and fits the profile you're after.

http://ministrygrounds.com.au/roasted-coffee/blends/nehemiah-blend.html

If you want to go single origin, I'd recommend Indonesian Lingtong or one of the PNG highland beans. They don't tend to produce too much astringency even when over-extracted.

Keen to give this a go. When people talk about cold steeping, is that ground down to a certain size? Or is that much of a muchness and we're going with it over whole beans or hot steep? Love the idea of a bit of coffee and cacao dumped in like a dry hop, mid primary ferment..

Miss roasting our own beans. Had 2 or 3 pop corn machines doing a very nice job once upon a time.

We have a behmor1600+ and the 2 things i hate are the led readout cannot be read in sunlight and the stupid lawyer function where rhe roast switchess to cool if you dont acknowledge the flashing screen (that you cannoy see in sunlight ) in time.

Keen to give this a go. When people talk about cold steeping, is that ground down to a certain size? Or is that much of a muchness and we're going with it over whole beans or hot steep? Love the idea of a bit of coffee and cacao dumped in like a dry hop, mid primary ferment..

Miss roasting our own beans. Had 2 or 3 pop corn machines doing a very nice job once upon a time.

When I cold steep, even for a hot steep (aeropress here), I go for a coarse grind, I have a Kyocera hand grinder for that. When adding to the beer, what I've found works for me is adding to the FV just prior to bottling. I time my cold steep for between 18 and 24 hours. I do know that others do differently. I see you mention whole beans...first time around, I split the batch and did half cold steep, half whole beasns direct to FV for 24 hours prior to bottling. The whole bean batch had more of a 'brewed' coffee flavour, whereas the cold steep additon came up full and rish. Beans had bean roasted on the medium side of light to medium, dropped at just prior to 2nd crack.

When I started roasting, I was ready to go the popcorn maker route but got my hands on a 2nd hand hottop for $400, that was probably 6 or 7 years ago now. Still going strong. Top bit of kit.

Back